The End Of The Era.

I saw this yesterday, but noted that the car has been around for 8 years and other car companies are struggling with their small car market as well. So for now the 500 is gone but other cars currently are still in production. Not sure for how long, but not gone yet.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

You can see why they killed it - three entries in this thread in two years. It’s going to take a lot of breakdowns to surrender my 2017 500 Abarth, however. Most fun car I’ve ever driven...
76B5D28D-CC22-4D46-88D0-E517D11C8106.jpeg
DFF361B4-00CA-429A-BDE6-11D0CAE23146.jpeg

Fiat on the world market. Confusing info, last half of 2020 was news of a new all electric 500, with 2 doors on the rh side. Jan 2021, I see no mention of this model in Fiats latest news.

Edit: found the electric one, bottom of page on 2nd link under Models, New 500. It must be classed as a different range, possibly because the internal combustion ones won't be around for long?

Last edited:
I believe the 124 Spider and 500L are being dropped now as well.

It's too bad that Fiat and Alfa haven't been able to do better this time around in the U.S., but hardly surprising. There's not much demand in America for relatively tiny econoboxes like the 500 and the Abarth version has bar stools for seats, generally awful ergonomics, and too much torque steer. The 124 is an uglier Miata with an inferior 1.4-turbo engine to Mazda's naturally-aspirated 2.0-liter. The 4C was pretty, sharp and lively, but flatulent turbo-four sounds and a dual-clutch automatic are disappointments -- for the same price I'd take a Lotus Evora with a great-sounding, reliable Toyota six-cyl and a manual gearbox. The Giulia is a great sedan in both four- and six-cylinder configuration (even without a manual transmission), but if you can't build a car that functions reliably in this day and age, you're not going to sell very many. Who's got time for that in a brand-new, $35k-$70k car?

All that said, I'll probably buy a used Giulia when they depreciate even further and independent mechanics get a better handle on their common faults. Won't take much longer. There's a 2018 Giulia turbo-four, RWD locally with 45k miles asking $15k. That's more than 50% depreciation from new in three short years!

It's too bad that Fiat and Alfa haven't been able to do better this time around in the U.S., but hardly surprising. There's not much demand in America for relatively tiny econoboxes like the 500 and the Abarth version has bar stools for seats, generally awful ergonomics, and too much torque steer. The 124 is an uglier Miata with an inferior 1.4-turbo engine to Mazda's naturally-aspirated 2.0-liter. The 4C was pretty, sharp and lively, but flatulent turbo-four sounds and a dual-clutch automatic are disappointments -- for the same price I'd take a Lotus Evora with a great-sounding, reliable Toyota six-cyl and a manual gearbox. The Giulia is a great sedan in both four- and six-cylinder configuration (even without a manual transmission), but if you can't build a car that functions reliably in this day and age, you're not going to sell very many. Who's got time for that in a brand-new, $35k-$70k car?

All that said, I'll probably buy a used Giulia when they depreciate even further and independent mechanics get a better handle on their common faults. Won't take much longer. There's a 2018 Giulia turbo-four, RWD locally with 45k miles asking $15k. That's more than 50% depreciation from new in three short years!
I agree with most of what you say except. I dont think the 124 is uglier. In my opinion it looks better than the fish mouth miata. As far as the inferior motor, i disagree too. Some dont understand the multi-air. it is a very good mill with tons of potential. Just my opinion. and yes i have a new 124 and i enjoy driving it. Destroys new miatas in performance on the street. maybe i got lucky and have a good one. My 500L runs great, the dual clutch is a joke. But If driven properly and not allowed to creep. It is fine and has no issues (design flaw for the 500L).

As for the Giulia, That will be my next car. I agree about the depreciation. But thats the market im in, 15-20k for a 10-15k mile car. Im in!

How long did you own your 500 Abarth for?

How long did you own your 500 Abarth for?
Never owned one, but drove and tested several supplied new by FCA for my job (every car I mentioned above, I've done the same). I will say my brother owns a 500 Sport and loves it, never plans to sell it. To each his own, this is just my opinion.

We (my wife, that is) have a 2012 500 sport. bought it used in 2015 w/35K. It only has 50K on it now. We have no plans to replace it, kids are grown & long gone - owning only 2 door cars (500S, Volvo C30, X1/9) limits the # of ppl we ever to cart around. :D

I prefer the 124 to the Miata in terms of looks. I haven't driven either.

My wife and I recently bought a 124 and we both really like it. It looks better than the Miata, but that’s subjective. The 1.4L engine has been reliable in our 500C, so we are expecting similar reliability in the 124.

Brian

my first 500l (6 speed manual) i put 65k on it with no issues, my abarth 124 has 46k on it with no issues. My 2nd 500l was a lemon law buyback car. that my daughter bought without seeking advice. i now own it. traded her a dodge journey. Once i put a new dual clutch in it and relearned the throttle body it seems ok, still isnt perfect (surges and feels throttle wrong, power is not consistent). but mechanically the engine is fine 50k on it now.

Ditto with the comments on the 124 Abarth. Personally I think it looks loads better than the Miata, but after-all we are all on an Italian car forum . . .

This is the first I've heard of someone claiming the Miata's 2.0 N/A was better. Up until now, I've always gotten a sense the general consensus was the 1.4T was the better motor. Can't really comment on the difference because I've only had experience with the 124 Abarth, however I never found myself wishing for more in the motor department. Has been dead reliable too so far (bought new and now have over 60k miles).

Ditto with the comments on the 124 Abarth. Personally I think it looks loads better than the Miata, but after-all we are all on an Italian car forum . . .

This is the first I've heard of someone claiming the Miata's 2.0 N/A was better. Up until now, I've always gotten a sense the general consensus was the 1.4T was the better motor. Can't really comment on the difference because I've only had experience with the 124 Abarth, however I never found myself wishing for more in the motor department. Has been dead reliable too so far (bought new and now have over 60k miles).
I too think the longer bonnet and grill make the 124 a more striking car, looks-wise. There are times with the 500 Abarth’s engine when I would like a little more grunt between 1st & 2nd, but after that, I’ve never thought I needed more power, considering I‘m not racing the car. Hopefully Tiger Woods won’t be driving anywhere near me though in a monster SUV...

Personally, I think having the electric 500 here is the next logical thing to do. I understand why the original 500 was discontinued here--it was already 8 years old in the US (even older worldwide) and modern cars don't really last that long--not like the Range Rover Classic, Alfa Spider, Porsche 911 and other cars which lasted for years and years after they should have been dead and buried.

What gets me is the connection to US laws and the "marque". Fiat has to meet all of the requirements separately from Alfa Romeo separately from Maserati separately from Peugeot, etc. Seems the laws are outdated with regards to covering these large conglomerates. They treat the badge like a discrete auto maker but really it's nothing more than a brand and personality these days. This makes it harder for niche marques to sell cars here. Nothing wrong with supporting a small number of Fiat 500s here if the money for certification wasn't so stupid crazy. Seems the US laws need to change. Not every car needs Toyota Camry volumes, but unfortunately that's how the US market is set up. Decreases our choices--free market my ass. :) I don't want an Accord or Ford F150. I should have the freedom to buy what I want, and that starts with tearing down some of these outdated, protectionist, auto certification rules.

Personally, I think having the electric 500 here is the next logical thing to do. I understand why the original 500 was discontinued here--it was already 8 years old in the US (even older worldwide) and modern cars don't really last that long--not like the Range Rover Classic, Alfa Spider, Porsche 911 and other cars which lasted for years and years after they should have been dead and buried.

What gets me is the connection to US laws and the "marque". Fiat has to meet all of the requirements separately from Alfa Romeo separately from Maserati separately from Peugeot, etc. Seems the laws are outdated with regards to covering these large conglomerates. They treat the badge like a discrete auto maker but really it's nothing more than a brand and personality these days. This makes it harder for niche marques to sell cars here. Nothing wrong with supporting a small number of Fiat 500s here if the money for certification wasn't so stupid crazy. Seems the US laws need to change. Not every car needs Toyota Camry volumes, but unfortunately that's how the US market is set up. Decreases our choices--free market my ass. :) I don't want an Accord or Ford F150. I should have the freedom to buy what I want, and that starts with tearing down some of these outdated, protectionist, auto certification rules.
Don’t you think those are fake-laws, pushed through by the big three, lobbied to Washington to make start-ups less threatening to their stranglehold? The European version of the 500 Abarth had some great little differences which were scrubbed here for just these reasons. And yes, I hope the NEW 500e makes it here, because I want a car which plays classical music from ‘Amarcord’ or ‘La Dolce Vita’ when it starts...not to mention 0-to-50 in three seconds (km).

Last edited:
Don’t you think those are fake-laws, pushed through by the big three, lobbied to Washington to make start-ups less threatening to their stranglehold? The European version of the 500 Abarth had some great little differences which were scrubbed here for just these reasons. And yes, I hope the NEW 500e makes it here, because I want a car which plays classical music from ‘Amarcord’ or ‘La Dolce Vita’ when it starts...not to mention 0-to-50 in three seconds (km).

Who are the "big three" these days? I don’t really know anymore.

Back