building a new garage

but I wanted to use outlets to run the lights from as most LED shop lights are pug in type and not made to be hardwired
In that case the circuits are still lighting circuits and therefore should not require a GFCI - I think.
But what's the harm of using GFCI outlets there also?

In that case the circuits are still lighting circuits and therefore should not require a GFCI - I think.
But what's the harm of using GFCI outlets there also?
Has something to do with turning off the power/switching them off causes the gfci to have to be reset. But I did see something about there is a type that it won't happen. Still researching

Odie

I have a whole bunch of them that do not do that. Honestly I can't imagine why any would? Perhaps the theory is if a faulty appliance tripped the GFCI on the circuit, and the same faulty appliance was then plugged back in, it would still protect things? But even then it doesn't make sense because the GFCI will need to be reset before the outlet will work, and it will trip again if the same faulty appliance is tried again. To me the biggest issue is when multiple GFCI outlets are installed on the same circuit (which isn't necessary anyway). In a case like that, often if one trips then the others need to be reset.

But agreed, what a necessence to have to reset the outlet everytime for use as lights. However lots of buildings have outlets on the ceiling for lights use. Your codes will tell you what to use (for the 100th time) :p

If the GFCI is tripping, it may be due to leakage current from the device plugged into it. That is not an uncommon problem. Last I checked, GFCIs were not required for all outlets, just exterior and wet environments like kitchen and bath. However, I have not checked in many years and local regulations may be different.

Looks like I can use a gfci breaker instead. Googled can a gfci outlet be switched is where I found you shouldn't.

Odie

yes they are for outlets only. but I wanted to use outlets to run the lights from as most LED shop lights are pug in type and not made to be hardwired and altering it to be used as such is also a violation.

Odie
I put all switches after a GFCI so if I am changing a bulb I won’t get a nasty shock. Generally the first outlet in a string which is accessible has to be GFCI’d then everything down stream is protected. So, GFCI, Switch and then standard outlets the lights will be plugged into.

Lighting circuits for outdoors now have to be GFCI protected so people changing a bulb on a ‘hot’ circuit don’t get fried. Not sure if a garage counts as ‘outdoors’.

Lighting circuits for outdoors now have to be GFCI protected so people changing a bulb on a ‘hot’ circuit don’t get fried. Not sure if a garage counts as ‘outdoors’.
Sounds like it will be easiest to gfci the breaker. The overall cost will still be better then if I had it done for me. :)

Odie

Sounds like it will be easiest to gfci the breaker. The overall cost will still be better then if I had it done for me. :)

Odie
Retrofitting GFCI breakers in old panels meant using a separate neutral wire from each breaker to the neutral bar. Current panels have bus bars for both line and neutral and the GFCI breakers just plug in, so be sure to get a panel so configured.

Some areas require GFCI/AFCI (arc fault circuit interrupters) on all circuits for new installations, so check if this applies to you before procuring parts.

AFCI Arc Fault Circuit Interupter

This catches bad connections in components, broken wires and related issues that cause fires.

Retrofitting GFCI breakers in old panels meant using a separate neutral wire from each breaker to the neutral bar. Current panels have bus bars for both line and neutral and the GFCI breakers just plug in, so be sure to get a panel so configured.

Some areas require GFCI/AFCI (arc fault circuit interrupters) on all circuits for new installations, so check if this applies to you before procuring parts.
I dont mind overkill especially when in the big picture it really isnt that much more costly. Keeing in mind the electricians estimate was over 5k. I have a bit of room before I get to the point where I will just let them do it.

Odie

I'll bet all of the materials, any tools required, and misc items will be well under $1K. The rest of the electrical estimate is for the labor. I think that difference would more than pay for the insulation, which is also an easy DIY, and other things.

I'll bet all of the materials, any tools required, and misc items will be well under $1K. The rest of the electrical estimate is for the labor. I think that difference would more than pay for the insulation, which is also an easy DIY, and other things.
like adjustable struts, turbo, fuel cel, and my wife says new fridge. (and not for the barn as I thought)

odie

Getting close. Garage doors, concrete then electrical
Getting twitchy and ready to play!

Odie
20210304_170435.jpg
20210304_170339.jpg
20210304_170313.jpg

Sweet.
As a single person with no kids or other anchors, I dream of building a structure big enough to create my dream garage....with enough space/accommodations to actually live in it - no longer needing a actual "house". Maybe a cool old warehouse, barn, historical building, whatever, that has all modern insulation and services inside the original outer shell. Sort of a "restomod" of buildings.

Sweet.
As a single person with no kids or other anchors, I dream of building a structure big enough to create my dream garage....with enough space/accommodations to actually live in it - no longer needing a actual "house". Maybe a cool old warehouse, barn, historical building, whatever, that has all modern insulation and services inside the original outer shell. Sort of a "restomod" of buildings.
My cousin lived in a warehouse for awhile. When he first moved in he had a motor home in there for a bedroom and kitchen. He eventually sold everything and moved in with a woman for a conventional place. Didn't last.

I wish I would have bought his manta but at that time I was newly married and we still had 2 houses.

Odie

Back