Build Thread for La Bambina Azzura.

I agree with the others, any proprietary designs that you wish to develop yourself (e.g. engine swap kit) should be protected (i.e. not openly shared). However the standard Fiat X1/9 engine bay is a different situation. It is not proprietary to any of us. Fiat may have restrictions on copying it, but that's not what we're talking about. I understand the scanning equipment was expensive, and your time to do the scanning has value. But those are costs that you are undertaking as part of your development project. So sharing the basic dimensions/scan data for the stock engine bay would not impact that. Your choice obviously but I really don't get the point, as it would not have any relation to anything you develop to put in the bay. Just my view on it, and to be clear I have no interest in any of the data. If I've misunderstood something here please correct me. Great project either way. ;)

Yes I think there is a bit of confusion here. I have said that I would make any scan mesh data available. A scan is just a base to start working over. Think of it as the scan is just like a picture you want to trace. You would lay trace paper over a picture and trace what you want. You would not trace every tiny detail of a picture down to blades of grass, just what you want. I will not reverse engineer(trace) every inch of the engine bay or motors, I will only convert to CAD (trace) the points I am interested in. In my case the mount points; dog bone, lower mount bar holes on the frame, and the front motor mount, on the frame. I only need to locate these holes in a 3D space, I don't need to reverse engineer the entire bay for that.

I will do the same to the 07k Motor/trans and use the two scans to help position it in the bay. I will design the mounts between the holes on both ends so the only CAD files will be the mount themselves.

Thank you for clarifying this for me, I was mistaken about what had been said previously - my apologies and sorry for confusing things. ;)

Yes I think there is a bit of confusion here. I have said that I would make any scan mesh data available. A scan is just a base to start working over. Think of it as the scan is just like a picture you want to trace. You would lay trace paper over a picture and trace what you want. You would not trace every tiny detail of a picture down to blades of grass, just what you want. I will not reverse engineer(trace) every inch of the engine bay or motors, I will only convert to CAD (trace) the points I am interested in. In my case the mount points; dog bone, lower mount bar holes on the frame, and the front motor mount, on the frame. I only need to locate these holes in a 3D space, I don't need to reverse engineer the entire bay for that.

I will do the same to the 07k Motor/trans and use the two scans to help position it in the bay. I will design the mounts between the holes on both ends so the only CAD files will be the mount themselves.
Useful either way.

Things all freshened up and ready to go back in. Just have to finish cleaning 40 years of axle grease and dirt out of the out of the bay and scan it.

1614995907830.png

Cleaning 40 years of axle grease, oil, and dirt from the bay, engine, trans, suspension, etc, is what I think I hate doing the most. :confused:

I have a media blaster, heated parts washer and a steam cleaner now. Still takes time but somehow with less effort. So much baked on axle grease though. I have cut some axle gaskets, not sure if they ever came with them but its going to get some this time around.

I have a media blaster, heated parts washer and a steam cleaner now. Still takes time but somehow with less effort. So much baked on axle grease though. I have cut some axle gaskets, not sure if they ever came with them but its going to get some this time around.
I've experimented with lots of different methods for cleaning all types of old crusty parts. Even did a thread on it; not only about the processes but also the cleaning agents. None were miracle workers, still requiring a lot of time and effort (as well as messy) to get things really clean....at least to me. But I tend to be very impatient and frankly lazy, yet expect perfection; let's say a combination of ADD, OCD, and HAD. o_O

The one that I don't have is a steam cleaner. I remember when they were the standard for cleaning engines, etc, many years (decades?) ago. Then they seemed to fall out of grace for some reason. As I recall they worked quite well so I'm not sure why they are not so common anymore. I talked to local guy that sells all manor of cleaning equipment and found steam cleaners are still available but rather expensive. Apparently most of the current ones are more a "hot pressure washer", combining near steam with high pressure spray. I'm curious what steam cleaner you bought and what your opinions of it are? It's something I'd consider getting if the results prove worth the investment.

I've experimented with lots of different methods for cleaning all types of old crusty parts. Even did a thread on it; not only about the processes but also the cleaning agents. None were miracle workers, still requiring a lot of time and effort (as well as messy) to get things really clean....at least to me. But I tend to be very impatient and frankly lazy, yet expect perfection; let's say a combination of ADD, OCD, and HAD. o_O

The one that I don't have is a steam cleaner. I remember when they were the standard for cleaning engines, etc, many years (decades?) ago. Then they seemed to fall out of grace for some reason. As I recall they worked quite well so I'm not sure why they are not so common anymore. I talked to local guy that sells all manor of cleaning equipment and found steam cleaners are still available but rather expensive. Apparently most of the current ones are more a "hot pressure washer", combining near steam with high pressure spray. I'm curious what steam cleaner you bought and what your opinions of it are? It's something I'd consider getting if the results prove worth the investment.

I have two a McCulloch MC-1275 for home and a H20 SteamFX Pro for the shop. It is small and esay to use. Both under $200. They are not that expensive and really handy. A bio friendly degreaser like WD40s degreaser and the steam really seem to work great. Big crap still has to be scraped off first but after that it is mostly Spray, steam and then wipe off. The H20 has scraper attachments that seem to work great on the big stuff.

Both under $200.
I'll have to look up those models. The units I saw were large professional type ones and cost a few thousand $$. :oops:

EDIT: Just took a look at the referenced steamers. Those are a bit different than what I was talking about. I actually have a unit like them that I use inside the house for various things. I don't think mine is robust enough to use on car parts, but it might be.

All ready to fire and break it in and we have a snow storm!!

View attachment 45186
Looks fabulous.

Isn’t that always the way :) snow storm in March :)

You may want to consider some form of ducting to bring air from the side vents to reduce the intake of hot air off the exhaust. The Fiat housing likely looked like that for a reason.

Good that you took your coil wire off to reduce the temptation to hoon in the parking lot.

Looks fabulous.

Isn’t that always the way :) snow storm in March :)

You may want to consider some form of ducting to bring air from the side vents to reduce the intake of hot air off the exhaust. The Fiat housing likely looked like that for a reason.

Good that you took your coil wire off to reduce the temptation to hoon in the parking lot.
Coil power and HT lead was not connected for the free cranking to prime oil through the motor before firing. it was at that moment it started showing and blowing

As to the air filter. It will be fine for how long this motor/carb setup will be in the car. I purposely removed the very restrictive OEM setup and was going to fab up something better. It is a toss up on a de-smogged but my gut would say an open element is far better than the closed with the snorkel.

Once the 5 cylinder swap is in and this motor is back out I will be working on a EFI system with 2x2 ITBs and Coil near plug ignition and a Standalone with a tune for the SOHC. Both the 5 cylinder and the EFI set up will get some proper attention to CAI.

Back