WTB Muffler Support Bracket, Manifold Heat Shield

Regan Burba

True Classic
Figured I’d ask. Does anyone have a FI exhaust support bracket and/or exhaust manifold heat shield you would like to part with.

I may still have 1 or 2 of the manifold heat shields available, I'll check for it/them when I head over to my storage garage tomorrow. ;)

EDIT: I'm fairly certain I still have this one:

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/fs-various-x1-9-parts.38890/

34049-d682685c4bf269985de9f6a646f66574.jpg

Last edited:
I might have the two exhaust support brackets for the springs, won't get to the shop until Thursday

I’m pretty certain I have the bracket for you, I’ll message you and send a pic this afternoon. Jason

I believe the original style of lower transmission mount and exhaust support arm were one-piece, meaning it includes the rubber trans support and the exhaust support arm together. Considering the rubber lower supports do not last very long before they sag, buying a used one may not be a good idea. I recall there is also a two-piece version available, I believe it was a aftermarket item. It has the exhaust support arm separate and bolts to the lower mount portion. That allows the rubber support portion to be replaced as needed.

Here are examples of the one-piece (top) and two-piece (bottom) versions:
X lower mt support arm.jpgFULL.jpg

If it helps...I believe he is looking for Fiat # 4443555 #7 in diagram below......right Regan ??

x19 efi muffler.jpg

As I recall, that piece in the photo above attaches directly to a piece welded on the muffler. There is a big U shaped bracket a little further toward the driver side that goes from the trans to a bracket welded on to the muffler.

As I recall, that piece in the photo above attaches directly to a piece welded on the muffler. There is a big U shaped bracket a little further toward the driver side that goes from the trans to a bracket welded on to the muffler.

No......you are referring to a '74 only muffler that is as you describe. It is completely different on the later Xs. That diagram above is accurate for the EFI models. And that #7 bracket just bolts onto the converter flange. The other end of the #7 bracket in turn bolts onto the extension arm of the engine mount.

No......you are referring to a '74 only muffler that is as you describe. It is completely different on the later Xs. That diagram above is accurate for the EFI models. And that #7 bracket just bolts onto the converter flange. The other end of the #7 bracket in turn bolts onto the extension arm of the engine mount.
Yes, I know it is completely different but it is also the only one that uses the motor mount shown in the photo above. Not sure why using that mount would be relevant to an FI exhaust as there is nothing to connect the 74 style bracket too as that only connects to a 74 style muffler.

Yes, I know it is completely different but it is also the only one that uses the motor mount shown in the photo above. Not sure why using that mount would be relevant to an FI exhaust as there is nothing to connect the 74 style bracket too as that only connects to a 74 style muffler.

No...that is NOT correct. All the EFI X1/9s also used that engine-mount-with-integral extension arm. Same as the '74 mount.

And it IS relevant as that #7 bracket does indeed bolt onto the extension arm. And is absolutely necessary to support the end of the converter.

No...that is NOT correct. All the EFI X1/9s also used that engine-mount-with-integral extension arm. Same as the '74 mount.

And it IS relevant as that #7 bracket does indeed bolt onto the extension arm. And is absolutely necessary to support the end of the converter.
Thanks for the explanation. That is interesting. So they removed the arm from the motor mount for 75 to 79/80, and then added it back? I wonder why mounts with the arm are so hard to find of they were on all the FI models.

Thanks for the explanation. That is interesting. So they removed the arm from the motor mount for 75 to 79/80, and then added it back? I wonder why mounts with the arm are so hard to find of they were on all the FI models.
I m wondering if this is because the mount with the arm is X1/9 specific, and the mount without the arm also applies to 128, Ritmo/Strada and Yugo

All the EFI X1/9s also used that engine-mount-with-integral extension arm.
Unless I misread your comment, this is NOT correct to my understanding. Some FI X's did not have any arm from the lower trans mount to the exhaust. Off hand I do not recall which years had it and which ones did not, but I do recall this has been discussed before and others verified there were some that came both ways - with and without a arm to the exhaust. Maybe it was those with a cat vs without?...not sure.

Unless I misread your comment, this is NOT correct to my understanding. Some FI X's did not have any arm from the lower trans mount to the exhaust. Off hand I do not recall which years had it and which ones did not, but I do recall this has been discussed before and others verified there were some that came both ways - with and without a arm to the exhaust. Maybe it was those with a cat vs without?...not sure.
I would have to disagree with you on that. I have taken apart both an '81 and an '86 which pretty much covers the range of fuel injection years. They were both identical with the exhaust. The fuel injected models have the entire exhaust system rigidly bolted to the exhaust manifold, hence the need for the extension arm off the transmission mount to support the weight of the exhaust system. My '79 carbureted model has the exhaust system connected to the exhaust manifold with a kind of ball and socket joint. That allows the exhaust system to pivot in relationship to engine movement, so it is mainly suspended by the springs in the exhaust bay. This same arrangement is common to all of the carbureted years except for '74. That first year had dual downpipes that were rigidly bolted to the exhaust manifold, so again it needed the brace to support the weight of the system.

Back