850 Sport Coupe series 2 track car.

There are only single hose clamps. On items with raised lips, there is no problem. Hoses onto copper the copper generally goes about 75mm into the hose. The return line goes into the swirl tank and the fuel then runs from the top of the swirl tank back into the main tank. Measuring the temperature of the fuel returning from the swirl tank is much cooler now. On the track with air passing through the cooler I'm expecting it to be cooler again. The front of the car is the only place the swirl tank would fit. Also the weight of the pump and tank adds weight to the LHS to balance my weight a bit. I've tried to put all the odd bits of weight on the left side. The ECU shuts off the fuel if there is a prang!
Makes me miss racing and you are very smooth.

Covid restrictions have been lifted for most of us in Australia in the last few weeks. I eventually got a test day in the first week in November at the local circuit. This was the first day out with the changes to the fuel system and also new tyres. Now has Nankang AR1's, 185 x 60 x 13 at the front and 205 x 60 x 13 at the rear. I have run these size tyres previously but the Nankangs have a more noticeable shoulder on them. They also need higher pressures and I was testing them and checking the hot pressures on the day. I also switched to toe in at the front from the previous toe out. I also had the laptop in the car and used the auto tune function in Tunerstudio to adjust the fuel VE table. It was just a matter of flogging the car for a few laps and the engine just got better and better! Cool fuel makes a very noticeable difference!
Since then I have shifted the swirl tank to the other side and fitted a smaller fuel pump to reduce the volume of fuel circulating to hopefully lower the temperature more.

This is yesterday morning sitting on the dummy grid waiting to start the warm-up session at Wakefield Park. At the order to start up I pressed the starter button and nothing, the battery was completely dead. After a push back to the pits I found the positive terminal on the lithium battery had raised up slightly. I suspect it may have separated from the circuit board underneath. Pushing it back down everything worked and I competed in the 3 events with no problems. I suspect the damage may have occurred on the trailer on the way to the circuit. The lithium battery is going to go!

Attachments

• 20211201_091612.jpg
    20211201_091612.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 104
Good to hear you are out having fun, I have a hillclimb this sunday. What lithium battery is it? I was considering one but went for a motor bike battery instead (Harley, Honda Goldwing), happy with it, 7 years old now.

Good to hear you are out having fun, I have a hillclimb this sunday. What lithium battery is it? I was considering one but went for a motor bike battery instead (Harley, Honda Goldwing), happy with it, 7 years old now.
Originally I had intended to fit an Odyssey AGM but was put off by the cost. The Lithium was not a lot cheaper but I was sucked in by the weight saving, it was something like 2 kg, the cables weigh more than the battery! Not sure of the brand without going downstairs and checking. I think they might be too fragile for use in a race car. I did a quick check amongst the other competitors at the GEAR event at Wakefield and the Odyssey batteries were the most popular, especially with open-wheelers and cars without alternators. These GEAR events are popular. 97 entries, 12 in my group. First event with Nankang AR 1's. Four seconds a lap improvement!

There are some interesting AGM batteries available to suit Honda Goldwings. The Yuasa ones look interesting.

The January edition of Practical Performance Car magazine has a 4-page spread on my Fiat. I downloaded a digital version but Australians will have to wait 2 or 3 months for the paper version. Most of the photos have already appeared in this thread.

Attachments

• 20220106_181619.jpg
    20220106_181619.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 100
I will keep my eye out for it. What was your fastest lap at the GEAR event at Wakefield Park, I couldn't find any results. Ps should the G stand for Golden?

The January edition of Practical Performance Car magazine has a 4-page spread on my Fiat. I downloaded a digital version but Australians will have to wait 2 or 3 months for the paper version. Most of the photos have already appeared in this thread.
Congrats. I wonder where I can find that mag.

I will keep my eye out for it. What was your fastest lap at the GEAR event at Wakefield Park, I couldn't find any results. Ps should the G stand for Golden?
Yes Golden. Racechrono, I had two laps 1.24.74 and 1.24.98 and a wild one at 1.19.24 which I don't have much faith in. The official timing is done by stopwatches by Gayle and the other women volunteers! I'm beating my best with the MX5 at Wakefield now.

This is my front suspension adjustment arm. Obviously one on the other side too. The lower rose joints have been adjusted out and I've done a rough adjustment of toe to get stuff in the ballpark. I have just clamped 2metre lengths of angle on the front on the horizontal bit. The skateboard ball bearings make the adjustments real easy. I will fiddle about in the next couple of days with camber and castor.

Attachments

• 20220118_145356.jpg
    20220118_145356.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 112
This is my front suspension adjustment arm. Obviously one on the other side too. The lower rose joints have been adjusted out and I've done a rough adjustment of toe to get stuff in the ballpark. I have just clamped 2metre lengths of angle on the front on the horizontal bit. The skateboard ball bearings make the adjustments real easy. I will fiddle about in the next couple of days with camber and castor.
I think you omitted a picture of the suspension.

Is that a wood surface plate? Would a small piece of steel be in order to reduce friction and ensure the bearings don’t dig in? I know many woods have high compressive strength, you have a bunch of bearings there and the 850 front end is light. Your lighting would highlight any furrow in the wood I suppose so digging in would be fairly evident.

The car is on the trailer and that is a piece of compressed wood with a melamine coating. Seems pretty tough and the bearings don't leave a mark. I can easily adjust the trailer to get the whole lot level. Notice the safety ropes keeping the car central. It's easy to push the car crossways.

The car is on the trailer and that is a piece of compressed wood with a melamine coating. Seems pretty tough and the bearings don't leave a mark. I can easily adjust the trailer to get the whole lot level. Notice the safety ropes keeping the car central. It's easy to push the car crossways.
Yes I imagine it is easy to push the car side to side.

I love the safety ropes…

You clearly have it covered :)

The front is done. Left castor now 9.4, camber -.010. Right castor 9.3, camber -.010. A tiny bit of toe-in. The camber is without me in the car and I think it will be a little bit more negative with a full load.
Previous was castor of 6.7 and the camber was -3. I noticed that after the last track day about 20% of the outer edge of the tyre never touched the track surface! Looks much better now and I have picked up much more tyre on the road and a slightly wider front track. .010 is a tiny amount of camber but it is visible to the eye.
Tempted to try altering the amount of rear toe in. At the moment it looks excessive but the chart from the shop shows it's 1 degree.

While I have been busy with the front suspension I have been doing some other stuff. Originally I put a scoop on the engine cover to feed cool air to the carburettor. The carburettor has been gone for years and I think the scoop is slowing the car on the straights. This is how it looked at the rear in photo 1. I have filled the hole and made a reverse Naca vent which should suck out the air above the supercharger. Phot 2.
The aircleaner is in the side compartment behind the rear wheel and I will seal that off so air enters through the cabin above the right wheel arch. I have put in two Naca vents to get cool air in to the interior. Phot 3 an 4. At the rear below the tail light I have a 75mm hole that will probably supply air when I'm stationary and hopefully allow air out at speed. Phot 5. Phot 6 is just to show the tiny bit of negative camber at the front.

Attachments

• Pheasant Wood 5.jpg
    Pheasant Wood 5.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 20220129_150032.jpg
    20220129_150032.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 20220129_150052.jpg
    20220129_150052.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 20220129_150119.jpg
    20220129_150119.jpg