The spare tire cover empty space - why?

tvmaster

True Classic
Anyone know what the empty, bottom-left cutout space is meant for? I’m sure it’s logical, which obviously isn’t how my brain works.
I’m starting to build a replacement cover, and before eliminating said space, thought I’d ask

4FBCF490-965B-4A88-9E33-DEEE96C9AD25.jpeg

C6DD5B39-6447-4C5F-BF53-5D492BB6D74E.jpeg

Cover looks to be from a later car with the shoulder belt retractor mount in the cut-out location.

Cover looks to be from a later car with the shoulder belt retractor mount in the cut-out location.
That seems logical :) just as long that it’s not there to let the mice escape after eating the insulation…
Actually, it’s never quite sat right in the space, so I think you’ve nailed it. Stitching on the vinyl matches the driver-side though…

Last edited:
That seems logical :) just as long that it’s not there to let the mice escape after eating the insulation…
Actually, it’s never quite sat right in the space, so I think you’ve nailed it. Stitching on the vinyl matches the driver said though…
Not sure if the stitching changed over the years, but I don't think so. Possible the later cars differ but someone that has one needs to confirm.

Here is a photo of my spare tire cover as installed at the factory in 1974:

View attachment 48168
Okay, tell me something, I just figured out what the space was for - clearing the seat belt retractor when folding the spare tire cover down. Original thinking was this only applied to later models where the retractor was parallel to the firewall, but in reality, the cover can’t fold forward in either scenario.

In my install, the bottom seam is folded under, and screwed under the carpet clamp-down. The cutout allows the cover to be completely folded forward without being removed/unscrewed.

Is yours screwed down to the floor, or free-wheeling to just lift out?

Because if I cut my new one, eliminating the lower, left-corner space, I wouldn’t be able to screw down the flap, as it wouldn’t open far enough for access. Unless you removed the retractor of course.
Thoughts?

I’d like it as closed as possible for noise reasons, but I’m miffed on the retractor vs. screwed-down flap.

62DDEA61-5395-4140-AF0B-EB82CD043872.jpeg

E34A642A-B64E-47B9-86C8-0FCF342768AF.jpeg

6D2EC060-70F9-4DCC-8535-FC0371E52131.jpeg

BAFF90F9-5311-412E-A28A-FC9F27B1A0B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Okay, tell me something, I just figured out what the space was for - clearing the seat belt retractor when folding the spare tire cover down. Original thinking was this only applied to later models where the retractor was parallel to the firewall, but in reality, the cover can’t fold forward in either scenario.

In my install, the bottom seam is folded under, and screwed under the carpet clamp-down. The cutout allows the cover to be completely folded forward without being removed/unscrewed.

Is yours screwed down to the floor, or free-wheeling to just lift out?

Because if I cut my new one, eliminating the lower, left-corner space, I wouldn’t be able to screw down the flap, as it wouldn’t open far enough for access. Unless you removed the retractor of course.
Thoughts?

I’d like it as closed as possible for noise reasons, but I’m miffed on the retractor vs. screwed-down flap.

View attachment 48799
View attachment 48800
View attachment 48801
View attachment 48802
Mine is screwed to the floor. It opens about 30 degrees before it hits the retractor but since the cover is not ridgid, you can open it much further. No issues removing the tire. If the retractor was all the way back like in the later cars, I suppose there could be an issue which is probably why they added the notch.

Did any later year cars have covers that look like yours or do you think someone other than Fiat made it? More than a few of those covers got trashed from sloppy speaker installations.

Mine is screwed to the floor. It opens about 30 degrees before it hits the retractor but since the cover is not ridgid, you can open it much further. No issues removing the tire. If the retractor was all the way back like in the later cars, I suppose there could be an issue which is probably why they added the notch.
Weird. Because the way mine is screwed in, yeah, MAYBE can get 30 degrees. But yes, missing data on my part - my replacement cover material is thicker and doesn’t bend. That was the missing link. Back to the drawing board. thanks.

What are you whining about? They are all screwed down to the floor like that.
And how on earth would one know that unless they’d seen TWO cars in person, which I have not. If you think that’s whining, I’ll be more gentle next time…. ;)

Did any later year cars have covers that look like yours or do you think someone other than Fiat made it? More than a few of those covers got trashed from sloppy speaker installations.
Honestly, the more I investigate, the more I find wild differences with these things - design, stitching patterns, size. The behind seats, left and right side, have a completely different pattern symmetry. Figured they were all like this, lol

Weird. Because the way mine is screwed in, yeah, MAYBE can get 30 degrees. But yes, missing data on my part - my replacement cover material is thicker and doesn’t bend. That was the missing link. Back to the drawing board. thanks.
If you are not married to having it hinged from the bottom, I suspect you could rely on the Velcro to hold the panel and avoid the retractor interference issue.

If you are not married to having it hinged from the bottom, I suspect you could rely on the Velcro to hold the panel and avoid the retractor interference issue.
That’s the direction I’m leaning - that interlocking 3M stuf. The screwed down flap is a little dodgy anyway…

That’s the direction I’m leaning - that interlocking 3M stuf. The screwed down flap is a little dodgy anyway…
Your flap for the bottom hinge looks a bit floppy compared to what was originally there. In good condition, it works fine.

Back