Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Cleaning and painting dash items like the glovebox as I wait for the finish on the wooden dashes to dry. The ashtray (which is trash in pig Latin…the more you know!) was rusty on both the tray itself and the piece that mounts to the dash. I was able to polish out the rust on the base piece, but the pitting was too deep on the tray itself. So, I painted it with some hammer gray paint. I think it looks spiffy. The black piece has some cracking…I am leaving it as patina!

552B8647-2824-4E53-A5A7-89432F6C5667.png

The ashtray (which is trash in pig Latin
Hahaha! My first encounter with pig Latin was when my family moved from Florida to North Carolina. I beat the ever lovin snot outta those kids when it kinda sounded like they were saying my name and pointing and laughing. This was 3rd grade mind you lol.

And so back together it goes! That is where it will stand until the finish finishes finishing finished on the dash boards. It looks sooo much better than it did before. This was the last item on the car I had done nothing to since bringing it home.
2FCDC474-34A8-4BDA-964F-6D7E5EE10FF1.png

Hey! What is the trick to removing the horn button without breaking it? I may try to remove the steering wheel and either repaint it or replace it. Anyone have a lead on good looking wood wheels for these cars?

I've done a lot of research. Settled on a used 380mm (15 inch) Nardi with a Lusi hub adapter for the 850 coupe. A variety of horn buttons available.

Nardi

Or Chinese fake Nardi

Fake wood Nardi style but cheap

I've done a lot of research. Settled on a used 380mm (15 inch) Nardi with a Lusi hub adapter for the 850 coupe. A variety of horn buttons available.

Nardi

Or Chinese fake Nardi

Fake wood Nardi style but cheap
I’ve read about some issues with those Chinese knockoffs where the spokes bend with very little force.

I've seen that youtube about the guy who bent the wheel. Hard to really know and tough to make a generalization. I do know that the pressure on an 850 steering wheel is probably not as much as a drift boy in a Civic hot rod.

I decided on the classic Nardi and waited until I found a good used one at the right price on Ebay. It is in excellent condition.

I've seen that youtube about the guy who bent the wheel. Hard to really know and tough to make a generalization. I do know that the pressure on an 850 steering wheel is probably not as much as a drift boy in a Civic hot rod.

I decided on the classic Nardi and waited until I found a good used one at the right price on Ebay. It is in excellent condition.
The real Nardi is a great wheel. My first one was on a DeTomaso Longchamp. Congrats on the wheel!

And so back together it goes! That is where it will stand until the finish finishes finishing finished on the dash boards. It looks sooo much better than it did before. This was the last item on the car I had done nothing to since bringing it home.
View attachment 49688
Hey! What is the trick to removing the horn button without breaking it? I may try to remove the steering wheel and either repaint it or replace it. Anyone have a lead on good looking wood wheels for these cars?
Nice work and huge improvement. You won’t win at the concours but I don’t think thats ever been the point :)

Passenger side in. The right lighting makes it look much better than it deserves. I need to get the finishing rings for the screws (whatever they are called). The cherrywood and the red stain POP!

6C2BEB29-D1D2-41F1-B642-813F085ECA63.jpeg

Working on getting the drivers side put back together. Found a few dead bulbs to replace.

Ignoring the mess underneath it, here is the final dash installed. What a difference. Of course, the turn signals are not turning, and I lost one of the switch nuts (anyone got a spare?), but by gosh it is in! In this heat it took me more time than I wanted to troubleshoot the dash lights. So next is fix the turn signals, interior lights, re-glue the console and put it all back together. Piece of cake in 100 degree heat!
4C58BA71-F35B-4F1A-9B9A-6B4BD0BB5257.jpeg

Ignoring the mess underneath it, here is the final dash installed. What a difference. Of course, the turn signals are not turning, and I lost one of the switch nuts (anyone got a spare?), but by gosh it is in! In this heat it took me more time than I wanted to troubleshoot the dash lights. So next is fix the turn signals, interior lights, re-glue the console and put it all back together. Piece of cake in 100 degree heat!
View attachment 50074
I have the “switch nut’ but am out of town for a while. If no one else responds I’ll get back to you.

Got the dash done, console fixed, interior and turn signals working. I even fixed a small brake like leak. Up to the car show we go, and it runs like a champ. No probs coming home, so I ZOOMED up to 50 mph, and the engine starts rattling and banging. Crap. Thought it sounded like a fan blade. Rattle and bang my way the last block home, and it dies in the driveway. Open the hood, and no signs of distress anywhere. It doesn’t want to start again, and I am fed up tonight, so I will look tomorrow. Major engine issue is probably it for this car. Crap again. May be to go look at that mgb gt. Updates to follow. :(

Last edited:
Bummer, this has been an epic journey. Do not give up hope.

MGBGTs are a trip in themselves.

Back