What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

cleaned the jets and other parts in the sonic cleaner, plugged up all the useless carb ports, put everything together and pulled the trigger. After quite a few cranks (filling the fuel lines and filter) she settled into a little bit of a high idle. Not bad for a car which only ran once in the past decade. Project continues...
0.jpg

The 74 used an asbestos covered heat shield that mounted on the rear firewall. Here is a photo of mine stripped down before painting:

View attachment 51236You can see two of the tabs that bolt it to the rear firewall. I used stick on heat shield material to replace what was left of the asbestos.

I'd be a little concerned that the air intake is pulling in hot air right off the exhaust rather than a hose with outside air. Also, that pipe is really close to the exhaust so there may be a fair amount of conducted heat through that assembly and into the alternator. If you have a thermometer, it would be interesting to see if the alternator runs cooler with it or without it.

Yeah, that's what the hose is for. My '74 has a 1500cc engine. As you can tell from the pic 1-2 posts above, I've been running FI for a while but am now converting to dual DCNF. I installed the passenger side internal side scoop that has the alternator cooling duct and I'm going to run the hose.

1630077493925.png

1630077362585.png

The 74 used an asbestos covered heat shield that mounted on the rear firewall. Here is a photo of mine stripped down before painting:

View attachment 51236You can see two of the tabs that bolt it to the rear firewall. I used stick on heat shield material to replace what was left of the asbestos.

I'd be a little concerned that the air intake is pulling in hot air right off the exhaust rather than a hose with outside air. Also, that pipe is really close to the exhaust so there may be a fair amount of conducted heat through that assembly and into the alternator. If you have a thermometer, it would be interesting to see if the alternator runs cooler with it or without it.
Hey Don, any chance you have a pic of that heat shield installed on the car? I intend to ditch the original one (like the other person showed) and make a regular shield, much like on your '74. So I'm interested to see how it mounts. Thanks.

Yeah, that's what the hose is for. My '74 has a 1500cc engine. As you can tell from the pic 1-2 posts above, I've been running FI for a while but am now converting to dual DCNF. I installed the passenger side internal side scoop that has the alternator cooling duct and I'm going to run the hose.

View attachment 51242

View attachment 51241
If you have the hose and mating side scoop you should be good. I've also got a 1500 with dual DCNFs but my headers probably would not clear the cooling setup so I stuck with the original heat shield.

Hey Don, any chance you have a pic of that heat shield installed on the car? I intend to ditch the original one (like the other person showed) and make a regular shield, much like on your '74. So I'm interested to see how it mounts. Thanks.
I'll take a picture today. Stay tuned!

I got some photos of the alternator heat shield:

Driver side view

1974 Fiat X19 Alternator Heat Shield Driver Side  View.jpg

Top View

1974 Fiat X19 Alternator Heat Shield Overhead View.jpg

Passenger Side View

1974 Fiat X19 Alternator Heat Shield Passenger Side View.jpg

Upper Rear Attachment Point

1974 Fiat X19 Alternator Heat Shield Attachment Point.jpg

Pardon the dirty engine compartment. Dirt roads can make a mess in there.

I got some photos of the alternator heat shield:

Driver side view

View attachment 51256

Top View

View attachment 51257

Passenger Side View

View attachment 51258

Upper Rear Attachment Point

View attachment 51255

Pardon the dirty engine compartment. Dirt roads can make a mess in there.
Thanks Don. I see it attaches directly to the body rather than the engine/alternator. I like that. I haven't started to design mine yet so hadn't considered the possibilities. This helps. ;)

Thanks Don. I see it attaches directly to the body rather than the engine/alternator. I like that. I haven't started to design mine yet so hadn't considered the possibilities. This helps. ;)
Yes, it bolts to the rear firewall at the top of the vertical section and along the bottom section. It must be somewhat effective because those headers have been sitting next to the alternator for over 45,000 miles with no electrical issues.

Yes, it bolts to the rear firewall at the top of the vertical section and along the bottom section. It must be somewhat effective because those headers have been sitting next to the alternator for over 45,000 miles with no electrical issues.
I have a pile of shields from the last few builds. This is an important piece I will not be leaving out.

The heat shield @dllubin has seems to be very big. I think the Uno Turbo generates a lot more heat but the size of that shield is about the size/diameter of the alternator and made of stainless steel.

Looks like you put all of it on HER side. :p
Yes sir, I did! And after not having the space for my daily driver all winter due to flooring material taking up space, I don't feel particularly bad about depriving her for a day or so. 😆😁

I did commit to getting her space cleared this weekend so her Jeep Renegade (aka Fiat Panda in drag) can be back in the garage.

0DCEE046-7DE4-4515-9170-C4A2BD0DD777.jpeg

I will also put my Peugeot scooter next to the Royal Enfield sidecar rig. I'm making them accessible in order of which is likely to run first.

Attachments

• BD6D3774-4646-4C55-852D-18AE9CBC2A73.jpeg
    BD6D3774-4646-4C55-852D-18AE9CBC2A73.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 71
Bricks make good wheel chocks.

They (the bricks) also do fine with being outside…

Congrats on getting your side back :)

Last edited:
I finally got my side of the garage cleared of flooring, tools, and all kinds of stuff to get my X inside.View attachment 51320
I will have to do the same soon. But the "other" side of the garage is full of tools, not wife's stuff. And I can't move the second x19 inside yet because when it's going to be there, I will not be able to reach the winter tires from the 3 cars we needs in the winter. So the white x19 is outside, aligned with the door, waiting the end of October to be pushed in.

Back