Questions for the vintage Volvo guys

Ernie

True Classic
My brother picked up a very nice '87 240L, B230 engine, 5 speed.

He thinks he needs a new hydraulic lifter, intends to replace all of them, but can't find any. I think we know why.

First question is about the tool for holding down the shim buckets. I have the sohc and dohc tools for my Fiats. Will either of these work?

Also, was interested to see online the discussion of the rubber snubber been the valve and the bucket. Would one or more of these gone bad perhaps be why my brother thinks he needs new lifters?

He says he's having trouble finding the correct oil filter. I found a Volvo part number that crosses to many brands, most I never heard of. Any recommendation from you guys in the know?

Thanks.

Ernie: I think it might be a good idea to contact the people at IPD USA in Portland Oregon. 800 444 6473. They are Volvo experts and know that engine well.

When I had a 240, I was able to adjust the valves using my Fiat tool and valve shim collection.
Thanks for letting me know.
I have plenty shims so I'm pretty sure I can help him get better acquainted with his new toy.

Already learned a lot from IPD before posting here. And, I used the term vintage because someone posted a photo of a rather new looking Volvo sitting on quickjacks, per Carl's recent thread. No idea if Volvo moved away from the shim type valve train.

I knew better to ask here rather than in the Volvo forums. They seem to be so focused on performance mods. Reminds me of when I tried to help one of my sons with his miata some years back. What a cluster, compared to xweb and mira.

Thanks for letting me know.
I have plenty shims so I'm pretty sure I can help him get better acquainted with his new toy.

Already learned a lot from IPD before posting here. And, I used the term vintage because someone posted a photo of a rather new looking Volvo sitting on quickjacks, per Carl's recent thread. No idea if Volvo moved away from the shim type valve train.

I knew better to ask here rather than in the Volvo forums. They seem to be so focused on performance mods. Reminds me of when I tried to help one of my sons with his miata some years back. What a cluster, compared to xweb and mira.
My experience with IPD was excellent. I purchased an ECU upgrade, performance exhaust and a few other things from them. I don't know what the current engines are using but the "white engines" used in the 850, S60, V70 used hydraulic lifters. I've never had to touch them on my T5R.

Back