Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Ok, so the cable is on its way. If I am going to keep this car, then I have to repaint it. My valspar just didn’t hold up. Faded and dead. Hardly has any green left to it. Time to go order up a couple of quarts of color and some clear coat. Check into getting the bumpers rechromed as well.
E3E6A110-0C45-4C33-8068-36E3198386B2.jpeg

013BF943-E914-4CFC-8697-76B2953E7DD6.jpeg

New throttle cable is IN, and all is well in engine compartment-land. The old one just flat snapped in two. Go figure.

However, that is probably my last repair on this car. I have decided to sell it. I have me daughters 66 Mustang to start working on, which promises to be interesting. Also, anything I do on this car forward is rework, and that is not much fun. I did link this forum chat onto the ad though…there can be no doubt they will know what they are getting!

Thank you so much for bringing us along on this journey and for taking on what most of us saw as an impossible task.

I know we aren’t a Mustang forum but it would be interesting to see how you are getting on with your next project.

All the best and good luck with the sale.

I love this car! Thinking about buying it as a gift for my dad, he’s been going to car auctions interested in buying something with a vintage feel but hasn’t had any luck. 🤔

Honestly, it didn’t occur to me. I have been buried in responses from FB. Now I am having second thoughts on selling it.
I thought the way that you managed to bring that car back from the brink in a relatively short period of time to be rather inspirational. I was a bit saddened to hear you were planning to sell it. Maybe you should take a little time to make a decision.

I pulled the ad and decided to keep the car, at least for now. I was overwhelmed with at least 30 texts from people interested in it. So I convinced my wife that maybe we should fix it up a bit more, and sell it down the road for a higher price. ;^)

So, let’s put the mustang on hold, slow down the pace a bit on my cherokee, and let’s get this car looking better! (Ikon da wanted to do that anyway). Now that it has proven that it is not going to break in half immediately, let’s revisit some of the items that I did not really do the first time. The paint needs re-doing, and since the chrome has to come off, let us start with it.

Drivers side rear bumper. Dull, the guard is peeling and the license light is pitting. My estimates for re-plating the bumpers is over a thousand bucks, and that I cannot do. So…to the

279AAA50-406E-4A2D-B970-7776668F09C8.jpeg

These were sitting on the ground next to the junkyard fiat, and they basically gave them to me. The guards have rust, but are not peeling, and the license lights are in much better shape.
8169BFEE-2BB3-4DB6-9CE0-FBC5F539DD33.jpeg

So, let us take it apart, and polish. Guess what…the guard bolt was rusty and spinning. To the vise!
5C525A39-2104-4913-B7CD-88869EFF3ACD.jpeg

Twist the 4 tabs, and the rubber comes off. There it is! Time to drill. Remember to use oil, always start small with the bit and work your way up.
DBBFC0FE-2CA1-42F2-9E03-58898F0F20E1.jpeg

Voila!
2FCD92B6-BA4F-4CCB-8E4C-224E26E874F5.jpeg

Hey! Not bad at all with a little 0000 steel wool and chrome polish. Still some pitting if you look close, but very acceptable. Next side!

And sorry all…but it does look like you will still have to deal with my “restoration” for a bit longer anyway.

Uh-oh…the passenger side one in the front has dead chrome, while the junker is rusty. Hmmm…what to do. I shall ponder while I go make bagels.
374DEB49-09C3-4FA9-BC60-04170518825D.jpeg

Alright, I bit the expensive bullet, and took all the exterior chrome off to the platers today. Got a local place that did the chrome on my impala and jukebox a few years ago. Also, in more boring news, sanding continues.
D3DE0AA8-BA99-4083-BCA8-BA22DC030F6F.jpeg

Alright, I bit the expensive bullet, and took all the exterior chrome off to the platers today. Got a local place that did the chrome on my impala and jukebox a few years ago. Also, in more boring news, sanding continues.
View attachment 53224
"Block party" your place all weekend. Daniel provides the beer and pizza. We supply the water buckets, sanding blocks and 200/400/600 grit wet and dry sandpaper.

I may have better bumpers for you but unfortunately just left town. It’s gonna be a couple of weeks but you could have em for shipping.

Back