Tire size recommendations

Hammster

Corner Classic's
So, I have some 15x7 wheels for my car, and was just wondering if anyone else had that size and what tire size you used. I'm thinking a 195/50r15. Anyone know if that'll rub, or am I gonna have to roll my fenders?

Thanks!

195/45 15 would probably be ideal. But it's not a common size in North America. Aboutthe 195/50-15, they may rub... or not. The offset may be critical. Also, do you have a stock suspension?

195/45/15 is typically the size recommended for 15" wheels on the X. 195/50/15 will probably fit the rear. Your wheel specs will matter, but be prepared to make alterations to your front wheel wells. Rolling the fender lips will probably be the minimum requirement.

I have 15x6.5 wheels on my 85 with 195/45/15 tires. I had to remove the stock spacers from the fronts and also massage the lower rear corner of the front passenger wheel well with a few hammer taps to cure some rubbing at full lock. I have Koni coli overs at all 4 corners in place of the stock units.
20200722_163257.jpg

Last edited:
195/50-15 is too large in diameter.
You can “force” them in there as mentioned above, but you will chop up your car and IMO the car will alway look too high.
I would strongly recommend 195/45.

195/45 15 would probably be ideal. But it's not a common size in North America. Aboutthe 195/50-15, they may rub... or not. The offset may be critical. Also, do you have a stock suspension?
Yeah, I do. I was debating lowering it .5"-1", but that all depends on the fitment of the wheels

195/45/15 is typically the size recommended for 15" wheels on the X. 195/50/15 will probably fit the rear. Your wheel specs will matter, but be prepared to make alterations to your front wheel wheels. Rolling the fender lips will probably be the minimum requirement.

I have 15x6.5 wheels on my 85 with 195/45/15 tires. I had to remove the stock spacers from the fronts and also massage the lower rear corner of the front passenger wheel well with a few hammer taps to cure some rubbing at full lock. I have Koni coli overs at all 4 corners in place of the stock units.
View attachment 58011
Sweet, this is actually really helpful. I figured I'd have to roll the fenders, but this gives me a really good starting point. Thanks man!

Has anyone had any luck lately finding 195/45-15's in the US? The name-brand choices seem to be either a touring tyre or a track tyre, and nothing in the goldilocks region in between.

Has anyone had any luck lately finding 195/45-15's in the US? The name-brand choices seem to be either a touring tyre or a track tyre, and nothing in the goldilocks region in between.
Nope. My recent searches reflect your findings. Tire Rack doesn't even list the size as an option. That isn't a good sign. I picked up a set of 195/45/15 Federal 595's in July 2020. That was the best tire I could find at that time.

And 185/60-13's aren't any better, either, unfortunately.
A few members have ordered 185/60/13 Michelin Pilots from Longstone in the UK.

I still have one of the two sets of Falkens I bought 8 or 9 years ago laying on the shelf. I put them in bags in my climate controlled basement. I pulled one set out a few years ago and they seem fine. I mounted them on some ATS wheels and they were still "like new", but not new.

Last edited:
A few members have ordered 185/60/13 Michelin Pilots from Longstone in the UK.

I still have one of the two sets of Falkens I bought 8 or 9 years ago laying on the shelf. I put them in bags in my climate controlled basement. I pulled one set out a few years ago and they seem fine. I mounted them on some ATS wheels and they were still "like new", but not new.
Thanks for the lead in Longstone. I've heard that Demon Tweaks will also ship tyres, but you have to call them. I have two sets of wheels. The original 13's with 10 year old Falkens. Good tread, but I have no information on how they were stored, and 15's with a mixed set of Toyo and Yokohama that are 7 years old. I don't need to make a decision yet, but soon...

Regarding 195/50 vs 195/45 tires fitting. I think it will come down to several very specific variables on your particular car. The exact dimensions of the wheels, the exact dimensions of the tires, the suspension components and settings, the condition of things like bushings and mounts, any spacers installed, any fender lip mods, the original factory fitment of body panels, etc. Not all wheels or tires marked a certain size are the same. And definitely not all X's are the same. So it really depends.

The Toyo Extensa HP II seems a good choice. On my web site, it says they are available in Canada and US.

1645891562379.png

Also, I don't think you can get Nankang tires in the States, but there is this one that seems good for us, Canadians!

1645891706223.png

The Toyo Extensa HP II seems a good choice. On my web site, it says they are available in Canada and US.

View attachment 58563

Also, I don't think you can get Nankang tires in the States, but there is this one that seems good for us, Canadians!

I just put a set of these on my X with 15" wheels. I used 195/45 for the front and 195/55 for the back. They were available at Walmart online (in the US) for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the lead in Longstone. I've heard that Demon Tweaks will also ship tyres, but you have to call them. I have two sets of wheels. The original 13's with 10 year old Falkens. Good tread, but I have no information on how they were stored, and 15's with a mixed set of Toyo and Yokohama that are 7 years old. I don't need to make a decision yet, but soon...
Yeah that is a very interesting idea. Since these are not "USDM" tires, would they have a DOT rating or a TW rating? I sort of assume not...

Yeah that is a very interesting idea. Since these are not "USDM" tires, would they have a DOT rating or a TW rating? I sort of assume not...
I've imported tyres from the UK before (albeit quite a few years ago), and they had the same sidewall information.

Back