Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Did you wind up using rivnuts, or??
Not yet. I want one of those guns, but I am forbidden from buying anything this close to Christmas. For now I used sheet metal screws. They will work…for now. When a failure occurs…I will be allowed to buy tools then!

Well, now the car is back to “no start”. Lol. Still working on making it a “reliable” car. Like, start every so often. This time it is my replacement ignition switch. When cranking the engine, it is cutting off power to the coil. Time to order more parts!

So you know that all the suppliers are selling the Russian Lada ignition switch as the only thing available. The mechanism is really rough. I have a spare Italian ignition switch that I took to three different locksmiths and none of them could make a key for it. Not good. I ended up getting a working used switch from a supplier in Slovenia for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
So you know that all the suppliers are selling the Russian Lada ignition switch as the only thing available. The mechanism is really rough. I have a spare Italian ignition switch that I took to three different locksmiths and none of them could make a key for it. Not good. I ended up getting a working used switch from a supplier in Slovenia for a reasonable price.
I have a local locksmith that can do them if you ever want to fix one.

Lol. When I got my first replacement switch, I realized it was not wired the same, so I wired two terminals together. Now see what comes with the new switch. 30 to 30/1 must be wired together. I was just ahead of the curve! Super Genius! :)
5D2C3AD8-2726-45D4-8DD9-EB823858AD45.jpeg

So does anyone have a crystal clear wiring diagram for the 1970 model? Mine is pretty fuzzy, and all the other ones I find or for earlier models. It looks like FIAT used the coil plus terminal for all sorts of things. I have one, but does anyone actually have a working “electrovalve energizing during fast idle rate adjustment” switch? What does it do?

Well, the voltage has magically reappeared at the coil, and now it is running fine. Just in time for the 75 degree sunny weather to leave, and for it to get cold and rainy. I guess that is the 850s new year present to me. And a Happy New Year to all that have followed this lengthy saga!

Finally, some nice warm weather, and all the other main cars are running ok. Did some work on my daughters 66 mustang, and turned again to the fiat. Still very unhappy starting and staying running. Primary idle jet clogged again. Tried a larger one, and it started loading up and died with fouled plugs. I cannot make this DIC happy. I purchased a DGS carb, but the primary idle circuit uses an electronic jet, which I both don’t have, and am not sure how I would hook it up. See pic.
So, I am looking at other carb options. Anyone used a DGES? How about a Solex? Enough is enough! Time to make this car reliable!

Attachments

• 9852398E-3818-4B50-B27E-F3692F154132.png
    9852398E-3818-4B50-B27E-F3692F154132.png
    607.4 KB · Views: 82
Hi Daniel. My 30 DGS was missing the idle solenoid also. Pierce Manifolds found one in stock. Not very expensive. I wired it off the coil circuit, so on when ignition running. I also got from Pierce the recommended idle jets which were 55 I think. I can't find my invoice but they'll know what you need. Pierce Manifolds https://www.piercemanifolds.com/default.asp
So you just have power running to it? What does that do?

Back