Build Thread for La Bambina Azzura.

From this perspective it looks massive compared to the car. o_O
It actually is about an inch shorter from pulley to tip of trans and a whopping 4 inches shorter in height pan to VC. It is thicker everywhere. But I am 100% sure it will fit. The total package will be 75-95 lbs heavier, so moving a 16 gallon fuel cell to the front will be a must not an option now.

From this perspective it looks massive compared to the car. o_O
It looks tiny from this angle.
57FE0A6E-19EF-495A-AFAD-2A6D00ABDD95.jpeg

moving a 16 gallon fuel cell to the front will be a must not an option now
I've always though the best way to really open up the X's engine bay for a larger powertrain is to remove the second layer of the firewall. I'm referring to the panel between the engine and the stock fuel tank and spare tire well. There is still the first layer of firewall between that cavity and the passenger compartment, which could be further insulated or even reinforced if needed. That adds the volume of space occupied by the fuel tank and spare tire well to the engine bay. Lot's more room for a wide drivetrain!

I was hoping To open up the gas tank area for Coolant overflow tank, ECU etc and possibility the lower half on the passenger compartment a little more seat room. There is a lot of room to be recovered. And between that and the spare tire are a lot of stiffening potential. It would be nice to keep the rear trunk free of any extra equipment.

Did you see how Daren reinforced the cover panel for the spare tire well, while still keeping it accessible?

And being a metal cover it will also act as a firewall.

I was looking for that post of how Daren did the reinforcement to quote him here. Thanks for linking it.

How much stuff can you get rid of on that engine?

I see the vacuum pump on top there, are there other modern car what nots that could take a hike or is it too soon to tell? Would going to a non serpentine belt reduce the length at that end?

So what is the distance from the end of the transmission to the CV mounting on the drivers side of the unit? How short can that drive shaft be and still provide sufficient articulation? The fifth cylinders width came from somewhere.

How much stuff can you get rid of on that engine?

I see the vacuum pump on top there, are there other modern car what nots that could take a hike or is it too soon to tell? Would going to a non serpentine belt reduce the length at that end?

So what is the distance from the end of the transmission to the CV mounting on the drivers side of the unit? How short can that drive shaft be and still provide sufficient articulation? The fifth cylinders width came from somewhere.

That is not a Vacuum pump on the top that is preasure relief valve for the crank case. It will be gone and just basically a billet plate for the valve cover, even lower. The vacuum pump has been removed already. The only thing that will remain is waterpump and alt. They will be relocated a bit. The accessories actually run off a pulley that is farther in than the crank pulley. That is where they get a bit of room. The trans is very compact and offset a bit more than the X . I will have to scan everything to get an exact comparison but I image the drive side shaft will be close to the x length or 1" longer. Will not need too much articulation as this is very stiff now.

they lean to far back. I had the same issue with the vintage 911 style buckets. Those would be next to impossible to alter.

Unfortunately, that is the same with the Faza seats.
I had a pair and sold them eventually.
Mark has a pair in his X, maybe he can give his opinion.

But if you found a seat the was parallel to the X floor and the X firewall, would the seat back end up being to upright for comfortable (or even sporty) seating?

Unfortunately, that is the same with the Faza seats.
I had a pair and sold them eventually.
Mark has a pair in his X, maybe he can give his opinion.

But if you found a seat the was parallel to the X floor and the X firewall, would the seat back end up being to upright for comfortable (or even sporty) seating?
Your first hand experience with the Faza seats is useful and hopefully Mark will chime in.

I think I have modified my OEM seats enough that they are almost parallel with the floor and the firewall and it is very comfortable, just would be better with more leg room. But honestly I really don't notice any discomfort now driving it now . The deeper position created just enough extra bolstering that I am not sliding around as much. Before I was constantly fidgeting to get comfortable and only really was when driving bare foot. It actually is a great way to drive and X anyway.

As I keep trying seats and modifying the OEM seats more there is another issue that presents itself. That is head contact with the roof bar. I am sure that I could get the vintage 911 style seats to work but that style of head rest makes cracking your head on the bar inevitable.

Its the little things. Since I have a lot of work to do before I start filling in holes with metal, decided to cut and plug the rear bumper holes.

View attachment 64211

View attachment 64213

View attachment 64214
Glad to see you are still playing with this project car, great build. Ultimately all of the unneeded holes (of which there are many) should be filled and smoothed over. But that requires a repaint so it's a major job. ;)

Back