Stereo System Options

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
I know this has been discussed in the past but I wasn't able to find a good example thread to add this to. So I'll start a new one.

Regarding adding a radio/stereo to a X1/9, I don't really care for any of the modern stereos in vintage cars. Although I have come across one or two that aren't as offensive as most, but they still aren't to my taste. I'd like to either keep it looking "period correct" or completely out of sight.

One option might be to find a old vintage car stereo and have the innards replaced with modern guts. This was discussed by a forum member before. It can get a bit costly though.

I'm not fond of any of of the "old look" stereos - "RetroSound", "Vintage Car Radio", etc. Nor do I care for most of the "hidden" systems - "SecretAudio", "HideAway Radio", etc. My complaint for those hidden ones is the display or control panel they include. Most are way too large and look much too modern.

A couple years ago I can across a hidden unit that I thought might be a better choice. Honestly I forgot to ever discuss it on the forum until now. I was cleaning out some old files and saw it so decided I should post before I forget again.

The manufacturer is "Memphis Car Audio". They've been around for a long time and seem to have a decent reputation. Not the highest end of the market but certainly not toward the low end either. So their prices are not too outrageous for what they offer. They now have a few "hidden" options, but one has a particularly interesting control unit. It is in the standard dash switch size/format so it can replace an existing factory switch hole (like in the 1500 X's). While it is still a little modern appearing, it is small enough and integrates into a stock dash well enough that I think it might work.

Here is their web page for the whole line of "headless" units:

And here is the page for the smallest one with a exposed control panel. This is the "switch panel" one I referred to:

They also offer one with no control panel, as do many other companies. Those units can work off your phone controls, but I'd prefer something with a onboard controller for my personal needs.

I've had my stereo in the dash since 1974. However, I'm not sure I would do it that way again. While I do use the CD/Cassette/Radio functions of the receiver, I probably use the Bluetooth receiver connected to the AUX input the most, All you really need for that is a power amp and a Bluetooth receiver. The 12V Bluetooth receiver I got is nothing fancy but it does automatically pair with anything it has been paired to in the past so you don't have to set anything up when you get in the car. It also has good range so that the audio source can be heard if it outside the car.

Well, perhaps not what you have in mind, but I recently replaced my 1979 vintage radio/cassette that was falling apart and had scratchy tuning with a modern radio. It's a long story but I have tried multiple times to replace this radio over the years but never really saw one that seemed right. I mean, the modern crop of stereoes look like some sort of futuristic swoopy spaceship with curvy lines and what not. Absolutely none of the these fit the angular shape of the X 1/9 instrument panel. But I wanted one that was blocky and angular like the X 1/9 design theme. Finally I found one. But what really sold me was the fact that it does not need continuous power to manitain the memory and runs off the normal ignition "on" circuit but keeps the settings when off. Nice and square shaped buttons and basic, but good. See what you think. I am enjoying it.

Or you could try to find an 80s Pioneer cassette player like mine....

Attachments

• 20221214_222637.jpg
    20221214_222637.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 82
Personally I’m planning on a minimum of phone USB connectivity/wireless with CarPlay, Navigation etc touchscreen.
In Australia if you’re caught even thinking about touching a phone whilst driving …..$$$$$$$$.

Jeez guys, strap a pair of Webers on the motor and you have all the music you need. The volume level is controlled by your right foot.

But then I don't listen to music in my cars. I have had my GTI for two years and all my kids say it has a stunning sound system....I have no clue, I have never listened to it.

The X is still a rather edgy design and I would think any modern radio would look right in it.

I am thinking about an arrangement in the 128 SL as well. It will be a daily driver during summer so I would like to be able to listen to music, news etc. On the 128 there is no slot to host a radio so I will do it differently. I am thinking about using my Android phone with Spotify and TuneIn, and connect it to a Bluetooth device connected to line in on a power amplifier. It is not more complex than that. The amplifier can be hidden anywhere and It can be turned on by a switch/relay or triggered to start via a hot low A source. Normally power amps also have a potentiometer to adjust the gain to match the signal from the source.

I am thinking about an arrangement in the 128 SL as well. It will be a daily driver during summer so I would like to be able to listen to music, news etc. On the 128 there is no slot to host a radio so I will do it differently. I am thinking about using my Android phone with Spotify and TuneIn, and connect it to a Bluetooth device connected to line in on a power amplifier. It is not more complex than that. The amplifier can be hidden anywhere and It can be turned on by a switch/relay or triggered to start via a hot low A source. Normally power amps also have a potentiometer to adjust the gain to match the signal from the source.
Yes, that makes sense. Keeping a vintage looking radio in place but having some functionnality (usb, bluetooth) from a hidden source. That or the Blaupunkt Bremen, the new version looking like a vintage one. But this is an expensive option.

I'm amazed people have no problem carving a Honda engine into one of these cars, but a modern stereo? The horror! Lol. I'm messin' with ya - :)
Joking aside, to me there are a few differences between installing a modern driveline vs a modern stereo face. For one, you don't see the engine when the lid is closed. But you can't miss the modern radio face staring at you anytime you are in the car. :)

I mean, the modern crop of stereoes look like some sort of futuristic swoopy spaceship with curvy lines and what not. Absolutely none of the these fit the angular shape of the X 1/9 instrument panel.
Exactly. And not only the shape, but all of the bright color LEDs glowing and flashing like a disco show. :rolleyes:

Or you could try to find an 80s Pioneer cassette player like mine....
I still have a Pioneer SuperTuner with the remote CD stacker. Still works but hasn't been installed in any vehicles for decades. These days I've become more accustomed to digital files than CDs....which is strange for a old fart like me. 😩

Jeez guys, strap a pair of Webers on the motor and you have all the music you need. The volume level is controlled by your right foot.

But then I don't listen to music in my cars. I have had my GTI for two years and all my kids say it has a stunning sound system....I have no clue, I have never listened to it.

The X is still a rather edgy design and I would think any modern radio would look right in it.
But it would be nice to listen to the stereo while you are stranded on the side of the road fiddling with those Webers. :p

I don't listen to music too much while driving my Xs, but I have decided I need a stereo with a CD slot. :) I found these nice phone holders on Amazon that wedge into the CD slot. They hold the phone at a great height and don't require sticking things to the dash. I put one in my Honda Plot as well. The CD player still works, but changing disks is problematic. :)
View attachment 68835
So you've found a use for CDs, nice. :D

The other night I was watching a automotive content TV program and the guy was jokingly telling everyone what a CD is. I guess they have already gone the way of the 8-track.

For some reason I prefer to have a standalone player of some sort in the car rather than use my phone connected. I guess it is my attempt to hang onto the ancient concept of a car stereo. I still consider a cell phone to be a phone, not a camera or music player or such. I have a collection of my preferred music that I copy onto a flash drive and keep in the car's player. Therefore it necessary to have the controls built into the car unit. But I fully agree the most concealed system would be as you described with the phone BlueTooth connected.

Yes, that makes sense. Keeping a vintage looking radio in place but having some functionnality (usb, bluetooth) from a hidden source. That or the Blaupunkt Bremen, the new version looking like a vintage one. But this is an expensive option.

Although the Bremen looks the part, unfortunately Blaupunkts are no longer a decent product. A Chinese company bought out the rights to use the Blaupunkt name after the original company went under. No affiliation to them whatsoever. And while some Chinese products can be good, all of their products are extremely low quality. Sad because the name used to really mean something.

What I don't understand about modern car stereos is that instead of laying out the controls the way they're generally arranged on everything non-car, the designers feel the need to make them as cryptic and non-intuitive as possible. It's especially crazy, given that the stereos are intended for moving vehicles.

Back