Engine swapping 128

T.G

Daily Driver
Hello
Does a fiat tipo 1.4 1994 engine fit directly into a fiat 128 coupe 1976?

T G

Tipo 1.4 8 valve, yes ... and no.

someone asked a similar question about tipo 1.6 into 128 and this is the list I came up with.

The 1.4 is just a smaller bore size (1372cc) 80.5 x 67.4 than the 1600 (1581)

that post is here

SteveC

Tipo 1.4 8 valve, yes ... and no.

someone asked a similar question about tipo 1.6 into 128 and this is the list I came up with.

The 1.4 is just a smaller bore size (1372cc) 80.5 x 67.4 than the 1600 (1581)

that post is here

SteveC
Thanks it will take some time and effort i see
But i also saw my 1.1 engine has around 54 hp and the 1.4 only around 75hp are there more easy power options for the 1.4 than the 1.1 or not?

Thanks it will take some time and effort i see
But i also saw my 1.1 engine has around 54 hp and the 1.4 only around 75hp are there more easy power options for the 1.4 than the 1.1 or not?
I am not a 128 guy, but a 38% increase in HP seems like a decent amount. What are the torque values between the 1.1 and 1.4? If the 1.4 is torquier than the 1.1, that will make a difference in felt power as well. Taking a 1500 in a X1/9 from the stock 75HP up to 100HP is very noticeable, that is only a 25% increase in HP.

Members here have put 1500 X engines into 128s. It may be more of a direct fit. Just FYI.

I am not a 128 guy, but a 38% increase in HP seems like a decent amount. What are the torque values between the 1.1 and 1.4? If the 1.4 is torquier than the 1.1, that will make a difference in felt power as well. Taking a 1500 in a X1/9 from the stock 75HP up to 100HP is very noticeable, that is only a 25% increase in HP.

Members here have put 1500 X engines into 128s. It may be more of a direct fit. Just FYI.
Yeah youre right that is actually pretty big difference i will look into the torque values as soon as i am done with work
Yeah i would love a 1500 engine but you Just cant findt them here in the netherlands

If looking for power the Uno Turbo is a good swap. Almost a direct fit. They have become rare but I've seen a couple of engines for sale in the UK.

After years of playing around with these cars, I'm now of the following opinion:

1) If you want more performance from your Fiat then it is not worth trying to build up the Fiat engine. A complete swap is the only way to get real performance with reliability. And in the end it can cost about the same or even less to do a swap, with MUCH better results.

2) If you are going to go through all of the effort of doing a swap then don't bother with any Fiat components. Choose a more modern engine from a more reliable manufacturer....such as Honda, VW, Mazda, Ford, Nissan, GM, or a host of others.

3) The above two items apply equally to the transmission.

Please note I said this is my OPINION. :) But we are seeing more and more great powertrain swaps being done successfully utilizing a wide array of other components. This applies the same for a 128, a X1/9, or any vintage Fiat (or for that matter, any vintage Italian vehicle). ;)

1600 8 valve from Tipo / Tempra / Lancia Dedra is 1990's production and were very common in europe. The 1600 is rated to about 90hp with SPI (single point injection - throttle body) but responds well to simple tuning - upgrading to a carby and fitting the cam from a euro 1300 128 coupe - and it's more like 95hp with over 90ft/lbs of torque ... your 1100 is maybe 55hp - 55 ft/lbs

A 1500 from an X19 would be a rarity, but a 1500 sohc from a ritmo / strada / regata are all from the 1980's, so will require digging deeper.

Don't waste your time thinking alternate manufacturers power plants, the heart of a 128 is it's engine and it's engine is strong and super reliable. In europe finding a larger capacity sohc engine is definitely the best route.

you can tune the 1100, there is a whole class of 128 like (Zastava and Yugo) cars in Croatia / Serbia that race in an 1100cc class.

This guy in Italy probably had the highest tuned 1100 in the world, sounds like a swarm of angry bees... but engines like this don't come "cheap"

SteveC

Last edited:
Thanks for the info
But there one little problem these engines for these swaps are litterly impossible to find here in the netherlands
I was also thinking i could Just drive it first with the 1100 engine and over a year or so buy this and fully built it (maybo turbo it)
and than put a 5speed behind it
Think that would also deliver some good performance

Thanks for the info
But there one little problem these engines for these swaps are litterly impossible to find here in the netherlands
I find that hard to believe, I think you just haven't looked hard enough, or far enough afield yet.

Think outside the box, if you think buying a complete motor from Croatia is OK, but the thought of shipping a used engine from Germany/France seems too hard. A used core engine will likely only be a few hundred euros to purchase. The 1600 sohc was also used in a few Fiat commercial vehicles (Elba , Fiorino, Scudo) , and a Renault / Peugeot (jumpy / expert / dispatch) that was made under partnership with Fiat , so that will also widen your search as a lot of these models were made right thru to the early 2000's.

There is also a 1600 16 valve version of the base engine, which bolts onto the transmission and just like the 8v will require some work to make it fit a 128 chassis and 128 ancillaries, but it's also EFI and has engine management - rated about 105hp and 100plus ft/lbs, from a Fiat Bravo / Brava from the late 1990 and early 2000's.

SteveC

Last edited:
I agree.
My buddy and I have purchased a total of 6 of the 1.6 8V with 39.5mm intake valves over the years here in Germany.
Of course, it is getting harder as these cars are getting older.
Have you considered finding and buying a running Tipo/Tempra etc with the correct engine?

I find that hard to believe, I think you just haven't looked hard enough, or far enough afield yet.

Think outside the box, if you think buying a complete motor from Croatia is OK, but the thought of shipping a used engine from Germany/France seems too hard. A used core engine will likely only be a few hundred euros to purchase. The 1600 sohc was also used in a few Fiat commercial vehicles (Elba , Fiorino, Scudo) , and a Renault / Peugeot (jumpy / expert / dispatch) that was made under partnership with Fiat , so that will also widen your search as a lot of these models were made right thru to the early 2000's.

There is also a 1600 16 valve version of the base engine, which bolts onto the transmission and just like the 8v will require some work to make it fit a 128 chassis and 128 ancillaries, but it's also EFI and has engine management - rated about 105hp and 100plus ft/lbs, from a Fiat Bravo / Brava from the late 1990 and early 2000's.

SteveC

SteveC

SteveC

SteveC
A fiat Bravo from 2007 is what you mean with early 2000s? Because if so i have seen a fiat Bravo from 2007 with 200hp soo thats very very intresting hahaha

A fiat Bravo from 2007 is what you mean with early 2000s? Because if so i have seen a fiat Bravo from 2007 with 200hp soo thats very very intresting hahaha
Because if that would fit pretty easy i think i am going for that swap and does the trans fit the car aswel or is it beter to swap the trans engine and whole front axle?

Wasn't the Strada basically a modernized 128 and wasn't the 130TC a Strada with the Fiat twin cam motor? So how hard is it to put a 124 spider twin cam motor in a 128? The problem is I'm not sure you would get that much of a power increase with that motor.

No, 2007 is the next generation of Bravo (type 189) and uses the T-jet engine like the 500 Abarth. The Bravo I mean is type 182 (1995 to 2003) which has a 1581 (or 1586) dohc 16 valve version, the 1581 is 86.4 x 67.4 (known more for it's power) and the 1586 which is 80.5 bore and 78.4 stroke (known more for it's torque

SteveC

Wasn't the Strada basically a modernized 128 and wasn't the 130TC a Strada with the Fiat twin cam motor? So how hard is it to put a 124 spider twin cam motor in a 128? The problem is I'm not sure you would get that much of a power increase with that motor.
No a Ritmo (in europe) / Strada (in USA and UK) is quite a bit wider across the chassis rails than a 128 is...and a 130TC engine (kinda like a working uno turbo) fetches a bit of a premium .. if you wanted to shoehorn a DOHC engine into a small FWD Fiat then a Mk1 Ritmo would be a much easier engine swap.

SteveC

Back