Volvo 745 Pickup + 4.8l V8 conversion

That is impressive that the drivetrain can fit without altering the firewall. From the photo, I can see that every millimeter is at a premium. Looks like that big fat hose in the photo has seen better days!

That is impressive that the drivetrain can fit without altering the firewall. From the photo, I can see that every millimeter is at a premium. Looks like that big fat hose in the photo has seen better days!

I'm at work now, so the reference pic I posted isn't available to me. On his install, he used the truck intake (much taller), and much of the clutter will not be present on mine ;) The mounts he used are different than mine also - his engine sits a little higher, further back, and centered in the bay. The stock drivetrain is offset slightly to the right side, and my mount kit follows that, and lowers the drivetrain. The firewall-into-floor region has to be pummeled in the lower region for bellhousing/trans cooler/dipstick clearance. They say it's just easier to beat it into shape vs. cut & weld. I'm undecided on whether that will work for me, it looks NASTY in all the examples (jagsthatrun.com)

EDIT: found another TB LS swap example - this one has the same intake as mine - definitely greater clearance, albeit this one has removed all ABS brake lines & HVAC components also

IMG_0135.jpg

Last edited:
I'm at work now, so the reference pic I posted isn't available to me. On his install, he used the truck intake (much taller), and much of the clutter will not be present on mine ;) The mounts he used are different than mine also - his engine sits a little higher, further back, and centered in the bay. The stock drivetrain is offset slightly to the right side, and my mount kit follows that, and lowers the drivetrain. The firewall-into-floor region has to be pummeled in the lower region for bellhousing/trans cooler/dipstick clearance. They say it's just easier to beat it into shape vs. cut & weld. I'm undecided on whether that will work for me, it looks NASTY in all the examples (jagsthatrun.com)

EDIT: found another LS swap example - this one has the same intake as mine - definitely greater clearance, albeit this one has removed all HVAC components also

View attachment 69079
Dang, twin turbos.

Working on the head unit install. Sony AX100 to be installed with double-din adaptor housing from a EU Volvo nut - copying another TB member
DDCBD9E1-226C-4165-A6B4-02746B593EC5.jpeg

stereo requires an adaptor frame
PXL_20230106_000201611.jpg

cut back the seating stops for fitment in the custom Volvo frame
PXL_20230105_221445402.jpg

buffers from Volvo 240 gauges to make it fit flush
PXL_20230105_230422149.jpg

PXL_20230105_230359438.jpg

PXL_20230105_235007777.jpg

modify Sony pigtail to plug into Volvo harness
PXL_20230107_222615842.jpg

added DIN adaptor harness to feed Volvo amp from Sony RCA output
PXL_20230107_224458208.jpg

ready to go
PXL_20230107_224722005.jpg

this thing also has camera capabilities, however I've never owned a car with one & don't need it at present.

Last edited:
Working on the head unit install... this thing also has camera capabilities, however I've never owned a car with one & don't need it at present.
When you get the bed of that truck filled with remodelling supplies (or whatever) you'd be happy to have a back-up camera.
One of the 'pandemic projects' I worked on with my father was installing stereos with back-up cameras in his car, my mother's car, and my pickup. The X1/9 even got one that displays on a Garmin. It's surprisingly helpful.

Working on the head unit install. Sony AX100 to be installed with double-din adaptor housing from a EU Volvo nut - copying another TB member
View attachment 69482

stereo requires an adaptor frame
View attachment 69480

cut back the seating stops for fitment in the custom Volvo frame
View attachment 69476

buffers from Volvo 240 gauges to make it fit flush
View attachment 69478

View attachment 69477

View attachment 69479

modify Sony pigtail to plug into Volvo harness
View attachment 69473
added DIN adaptor harness to feed Volvo amp from Sony RCA output
View attachment 69474

ready to go
View attachment 69475

this thing also has camera capabilities, however I've never owned a car with one & don't need it at present.
Will the printed part be seen or covered by other trim parts?

Nice harness.

Will the printed part be seen or covered by other trim parts?

Nice harness.
Yeah, it will be seen on the edges, the top lip is covered by the HVAC control panel trim. I guess I could have sanded it somewhat. I'll have to see how I feel about it installed.

Yeah, it will be seen on the edges, the top lip is covered by the HVAC control panel trim. I guess I could have sanded it somewhat. I'll have to see how I feel about it installed.
Some light sanding with some semi gloss paint applied dry will give you a pebble texture which hopefully won’t be objectionable.

You sold me :) The license plate is on the tailgate though, so I'll have to figure out a bumper mount setup
When you get the bed of that truck filled with remodelling supplies (or whatever) you'd be happy to have a back-up camera.
One of the 'pandemic projects' I worked on with my father was installing stereos with back-up cameras in his car, my mother's car, and my pickup. The X1/9 even got one that displays on a Garmin. It's surprisingly helpful.
I'll give that a try - the more I look at the pics the less I like it as is.
Some light sanding with some semi gloss paint applied dry will give you a pebble texture which hopefully won’t be objectionable.

Odd fit up of the printed part relative to the ashtray. Gap to the left, crowding the right and misaligned with the assembly below. Sorry, my designer eye is having a hard time with it :)

This will be a nice thing to have on a car of this vintage used in modern traffic. Carplay/Android Auto are great features.

Odd fit up of the printed part relative to the ashtray. Gap to the left, crowding the right and misaligned with the assembly below. Sorry, my designer eye is having a hard time with it :)

This will be a nice thing to have on a car of this vintage used in modern traffic. Carplay/Android Auto are great features.

That may be my install - it has tabs that locate over the ridge of the L & R side panels - I may not have fully seated it on the left, which would be pushing it to the right, creating that disturbance to your sensibilities 😁

That may be my install - it has tabs that locate over the ridge of the L & R side panels - I may not have fully seated it on the left, which would be pushing it to the right, creating that disturbance to your sensibilities 😁
Dang now I am now definitely the a- - hole. Me and my sensibilities.

Dang now I am now definitely the a- - hole. Me and my sensibilities.

No - you were correct. I tried to adjust it, and it definitely pushes to the right. I would have to shave part of the ridge/lip to get it to set back on the left.

I may mess with that when I remove it for the mic or camera install. Now that I see it, I will have to fix it...
PXL_20230109_213948311.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing happening on the work front. Still dealing with sinus related infections (since Xmas), no energy for any serious attention to the drivetrain work.

I did order some other electrical connectors - I may want to install bulkhead plugs, or compact housings that can manage larger quantities of terminals, so I ordered a few varieties. I would say these are of little use on older EMS, as the smaller terminals are 1.65mm, the larger 2.8mm. Fine for any 2K-on EMS that uses low voltage sensor signals/CAN circuits. Definitely OK for the Delphi EMS of the Vortec drivetrain, IMO.

I only ordered a few, as they (frustratingly) don't provide pin contact specs on AliExpress, so I had to guesstimate. Each of these hybrid series housings hold over 30 sealed contacts each.
PXL_20230118_160524730.jpg

PXL_20230118_160457659.jpg

PXL_20230118_160444755.jpg

since I'm pretty much house-bound, I did decide to do a little work on a couple of my other vehicles - these need repairs to the power supply

PXL_20230115_181900097.jpg

PXL_20230115_182037487.jpg

PXL_20230115_181903416.jpg

Nothing happening on the work front. Still dealing with sinus related infections (since Xmas), no energy for any serious attention to the drivetrain work.

I did order some other electrical connectors - I may want to install bulkhead plugs, or compact housings that can manage larger quantities of terminals, so I ordered a few varieties. I would say these are of little use on older EMS, as the smaller terminals are 1.65mm, the larger 2.8mm. Fine for any 2K-on EMS that uses low voltage sensor signals/CAN circuits. Definitely OK for the Delphi EMS of the Vortec drivetrain, IMO.

I only ordered a few, as they (frustratingly) don't provide pin contact specs on AliExpress, so I had to guesstimate. Each of these hybrid series housings hold over 30 sealed contacts each.

since I'm pretty much house-bound, I did decide to do a little work on a couple of my other vehicles - these need repairs to the power supply
I hope you feel better soon.

Finally feel like I'm coming around - 3rd version Antibiotic seems to be doing the trick.

Not doing any work outside yet. Been working on the plastic vehicles. Added winch hooks. Sold for 1/10th scale RC, but close enough for me. Actual 1/6th scale would likely be too large for these ATV's

PXL_20230127_203748352.jpg

PXL_20230127_210650038.jpg

PXL_20230127_210202926.jpg

Pickup barely made it home from work on Wednesday, AFR's running super lean if I tried to accelerate with even moderate throttle. Watching the fuel pressure at the rail, I only had 20psi(!). added a test gauge at the filter (easy to do, as I replaced the lines & added quick-connect fittings), only 20psi cranking pressure. Should be closer to 70psi. Pump is a AEM 50-1200, installed in the fall. :( I ordered another, since I've already modified the wiring for that model/brand.
PXL_20230324_193848681.jpg

Back