Stereo System Options

If you don't want to cut the dash on 1300, you could get an 80's gooseneck Blaupunkt. Like the Dallas SQM88/Denver SQM108. Picture for reference. There are components to the system as well like a home stereo but you don't have to have them. CCP08 cassette shown but there is a DAT player and a CD player as well along with amps and equalizers.
View attachment 69570

View attachment 69569
I remember those gooseneck radios well. They were considered state of the art at the time and rather expensive. Kind of the ultimate accessory for the ultimate driving machine (BMWs were all the rage at that time). I seem to recall someone on Xweb once posted pics with one in his X.

Your mention of "DAT" players also brings back memories. :)

Off topic, but what a lovely engine those have. I'd love to know what one is like without 3400lbs of convertible 3 series strapped to it, the only complaint about my e36M apart from the auto.
Yes, quite the little rocket... 315HP, about 800 lbs less than a 3 series convertible...😁

Agreed 100%, I hate it when automakers move too much control to the LCD. My current car has the perfect balance and ergonomics. Many functions on the screen but manuel controls I can adjust without taking my eyes off the road for items you use often (HVAC, Radio, ect...). Looked at a new GTI and their system is a nightmare, Germans have a problem with moving controls to a screen not because it's better but because they can.
Yes, that is my conclusion after suffering through many rental car radios. It's done now because they can, not because it is a good thing to do. A lot of non-automotive software is like that. Maybe someday we will get over the fascination with what we can do with electronics and just do what we need to do instead. Until then, we all will suffer bad software, many little menus, and strange menu item names that are not what we would call that particular function. I am looking at you GIS software people!

Yes, that is my conclusion after suffering through many rental car radios. It's done now because they can, not because it is a good thing to do. A lot of non-automotive software is like that. Maybe someday we will get over the fascination with what we can do with electronics and just do what we need to do instead. Until then, we all will suffer bad software, many little menus, and strange menu item names that are not what we would call that particular function. I am looking at you GIS software people!
HVAC got all luxurious on cars with multi-zone control and automation, and now when you remote start a modern car it gets to your desired climate.

Physical buttons on many cars in the last 2 decades have often been a hardware based user interface, rather than direct mechanical controls.

Engineers realized along the way that the screen was going to be a standard fixture in a car. Virtualizing the HVAC interface on a screen was probably a cost saving measure. The marketing team likely tried to sell it as a high tech feature.

Last edited:
HVAC got all luxurious on cars with multi-zone control and automation, and now when you remote start a modern car it gets to your desired climate.

Physical buttons on many cars in the last 2 decades have often been a hardware based user interface, rather than direct mechanical controls.

Engineers realized along the way that the screen was going to be a standard fixture in a car. Virtualizing the HVAC interface on a screen was probably a cost saving measure. The marketing team likely tried to sell it as a high tech feature.
Yup, never replace a control that gives you good tactile feedback with a slide bar on a flat screen, you always need to take your eye of the road and consitart on hitting the right picture on the screen.

Completely agree. I hate "automatic climate control systems". Not only are they more difficult to set up, but you tend to lose many functional options. For example on the daily driver that I'm currently using I cannot open the "vent" without activating the AC and heater at the same time. And it is constantly hunting around trying to satisfy all of the temp sensors throughout the cars interior. But it never seems to be just right. Likewise I cannot change the air outlet locations (e.g. defrost level, feet level, mid level) without other functions automatically coming on. I much prefer true mechanical controls where I can have it do exactly what I want and nothing more. Not to mention when any of the controls or functions on a automated system go bad it becomes a nightmare to repair.

I’m in agreement, I like tactile controls. However, I’ve had to do some cost reduction engineering, and I get how car companies got to this “everything on a screen” place.

I don't agree. The temperatures vary a lot when driving in Sweden, especially during summer. The temperature can go up/down with 5⁰C within a mile. My Golf is going the job with ACC but the Ford Probe needs a hand constantly on the control. So dies the X1/9.

I don't agree. The temperatures vary a lot when driving in Sweden, especially during summer. The temperature can go up/down with 5⁰C within a mile. My Golf is going the job with ACC but the Ford Probe needs a hand constantly on the control. So dies the X1/9.
Yah true, climate control would definitely be very different depending on the climates where a person lives.

Both my Volvos happen to have the MCC, thankfully. I don't care for the choices the ECC systems make for me, either.

In other news, the one stereo head unit I had purchased for the X1/9 came in, and the face plate is shite quality. I sent it back, as it really appears to be a production issue, this did not happen in shipping. Never-mind that the "EQ" screen is printed(!) I also bought the other one I linked, that one has a touch screen & appears at first glance to be better, I'll add a pic later.

s-l1600.jpg

Both my Volvos happen to have the MCC, thankfully. I don't care for the choices the ECC systems make for me, either.

In other news, the one stereo head unit I had purchased for the X1/9 came in, and the face plate is shite quality. I sent it back, as it really appears to be a production issue, this did not happen in shipping. Never-mind that the "EQ" screen is printed(!) I also bought the other one I linked, that one has a touch screen & appears at first glance to be better, I'll add a pic later.

View attachment 69707
Wow, that's pretty bad. And a printed on display? Ha. I hate to say it but this looks a lot like the crappy ones I tried a few years ago. I went to the extent of actually connecting and trying them out just to see how they functioned. Some were flawed from the start, and the rest soon after.

Interested to see more about the other unit when have a chance.

Completely agree. I hate "automatic climate control systems". Not only are they more difficult to set up, but you tend to lose many functional options. For example on the daily driver that I'm currently using I cannot open the "vent" without activating the AC and heater at the same time. And it is constantly hunting around trying to satisfy all of the temp sensors throughout the cars interior. But it never seems to be just right. Likewise I cannot change the air outlet locations (e.g. defrost level, feet level, mid level) without other functions automatically coming on. I much prefer true mechanical controls where I can have it do exactly what I want and nothing more. Not to mention when any of the controls or functions on an automated system go bad it becomes a nightmare to repair.
I have to disagree!
My daily driver is set at 19 degrees and forget.
If I feel the need can override and have air fresh or conditioned to any vent either side or zone.
Fresh air or recirculating is automatic and also available on a manual option if I desire.
Auto defrost does bring on other functions automatically but all separately over ridden if desired.
Only functions which are not adjustable are the heated wing mirrors and wiper washers which are controlled via CAN and not selectable.
As I’m in a desert climate it works flawlessly in either season.
If “I’m” feeling cold I can either select seat heaters and steering wheel heater.
Its very good and never given any issues☺️, the heated steering wheel is very nice not sure I could cope without it now!🙈
The “X” has A/C (now) and heated seats but would have to fit a “clock spring” somehow to steering assembly if I wanted a heated wheel which I think is a step too far!😂

Last edited:
I have to disagree!
My daily driver is set at 19 degrees and forget.
If I feel the need can override and have air fresh or conditioned to any vent either side or zone.
Fresh air or recirculating is automatic and also available on a manual option if I desire.
Auto defrost does bring on other functions automatically but all separately over ridden if desired.
Only functions which are not adjustable are the heated wing mirrors and wiper washers which are controlled via CAN and not selectable.
As I’m in a desert climate it works flawlessly in either season.
If “I’m” feeling cold I can either select seat heaters and steering wheel heater.
Its very good and never given any issues☺️, the heated steering wheel is very nice not sure I could cope without it now!🙈
The “X” has A/C (now) and heated seats but would have to fit a “clock spring” somehow to steering assembly if I wanted a heated wheel which I think is a step too far!😂
Definitely the effectiveness and functionality of a automatic climate control system differs greatly from car to car. The vehicle I'm currently using (for the most part) as a daily driver isn't mine; it belongs to my elderly mother whom I am taking care of full time (she's 98 and completely dependant). Therefore she insists I use it instead of my own vehicles. Apparently she feels she is doing me a favor. But it is also the car she is used to getting in and out of. In the beginning I hated driving it....an American midsize sedan. But in time I've found it kind of nice to drive something I don't feel the need to constantly protect from the carelessness of others. I can park in the closest spot in the lot, don't cringe every time I hear rocks chipping the paint, not overly concerned about it getting hit, don't care if it gets dirty, don't mind loading it with supplies from the hardware or home improvement stores, etc. And truthfully it is a decent city vehicle; comfortable, easy to maneuver, has all of the modern amenities, and such. But the automatic climate control system is horrible in this car. I much prefer the ones in Mercedes, BMWs, and other cars (pre touchscreen era).

Another difference is the personal preferences between individuals. For example I hate driving with the windows down, aside from a convertible top car. By comparison I have a good friend that immediately rolls down ALL of the windows as soon as he gets into any car....regardless of the weather. Even when I'd roll my window back up, he rolls it down again. I hate riding with him. And I hate the feel of AC or heated air, aside from extreme weather conditions. Another friend loves to keep his AC on max cold all the time, year round. He would also roll down his window at the same time. I never understood any of that either. As for things like heated seats, I hate them...they make my ass and genitals sweat. I've owned cars with features like heated steering wheels and such but never tried them so can't say how I feel about it. But I guess my lack of utilizing them speaks for itself.

Still another factor is the climate where one lives. And how that dictates the need for climate controls. Having spent my life on the SoCal beaches I'm accustomed to nothing more than opening the vent in the summer and closing it in the winter. That's all that was ever needed. But at the moment I've living in a brutally hot desert climate where I could not live without a very effective AC system.

But I guess all in all I'm still a bit stuck in the 70's and prefer a manual system most of the time.

Definitely the effectiveness and functionality of a automatic climate control system differs greatly from car to car. The vehicle I'm currently using (for the most part) as a daily driver isn't mine; it belongs to my elderly mother whom I am taking care of full time (she's 98 and completely dependant). Therefore she insists I use it instead of my own vehicles. Apparently she feels she is doing me a favor. But it is also the car she is used to getting in and out of. In the beginning I hated driving it....an American midsize sedan. But in time I've found it kind of nice to drive something I don't feel the need to constantly protect from the carelessness of others. I can park in the closest spot in the lot, don't cringe every time I hear rocks chipping the paint, not overly concerned about it getting hit, don't care if it gets dirty, don't mind loading it with supplies from the hardware or home improvement stores, etc. And truthfully it is a decent city vehicle; comfortable, easy to maneuver, has all of the modern amenities, and such. But the automatic climate control system is horrible in this car. I much prefer the ones in Mercedes, BMWs, and other cars (pre touchscreen era).

Another difference is the personal preferences between individuals. For example I hate driving with the windows down, aside from a convertible top car. By comparison I have a good friend that immediately rolls down ALL of the windows as soon as he gets into any car....regardless of the weather. Even when I'd roll my window back up, he rolls it down again. I hate riding with him. And I hate the feel of AC or heated air, aside from extreme weather conditions. Another friend loves to keep his AC on max cold all the time, year round. He would also roll down his window at the same time. I never understood any of that either. As for things like heated seats, I hate them...they make my ass and genitals sweat. I've owned cars with features like heated steering wheels and such but never tried them so can't say how I feel about it. But I guess my lack of utilizing them speaks for itself.

Still another factor is the climate where one lives. And how that dictates the need for climate controls. Having spent my life on the SoCal beaches I'm accustomed to nothing more than opening the vent in the summer and closing it in the winter. That's all that was ever needed. But at the moment I've living in a brutally hot desert climate where I could not live without a very effective AC system.

But I guess all in all I'm still a bit stuck in the 70's and prefer a manual system most of the time.
I second always driving with windows up👍
Car is equipped with pollution sensing so it’s always nicer in cabin with windows up!
Heated steering wheel is a game changer, they are amazing but very “first world” feature.

Wow, that's pretty bad. And a printed on display? Ha. I hate to say it but this looks a lot like the crappy ones I tried a few years ago. I went to the extent of actually connecting and trying them out just to see how they functioned. Some were flawed from the start, and the rest soon after.

Interested to see more about the other unit when have a chance.

This is the other one I bought - same manufacturer "SWM xxxx" I powered it up with a 9V battery to check the display, looks fine (no pic). I like the simple display/controls. Is this the type you said you played around with some years ago?
PXL_20230116_141447053.jpg

PXL_20230116_141503717.jpg

Is this the type you said you played around with some years ago?
There's a multitude of choices and they are constantly changing. But the general type I played with were not a regular DIN size, they were smaller. I was not looking to fill the stock radio hole and wanted something as small as possible to try and hide it as much as possible. Maybe a third the size of a DIN? Some didn't even have an enclosure per see, just a exposed circuit board on the back of the face panel (which is pretty much what all of them have inside the case). So they were very basic (that was my goal, keep it to a minimum); MP3 player with a couple of connection options (USB, mini plug, card slot), a FM tuner, and the necessary controls (on/off-volume, play/pause, FF/RW, a few radio station memory buttons, etc...similar to the one you show). The display window was small with very basic info shown. Most had a onboard amp (although of limited output), and RCA jacks to connect an external amp. Then a plug with the harness for power and speaker connections. And they were very inexpensive.

Speaking of the price, one interesting thing I noticed is if you search a specific model number online and on AliExpress you will see a huge range of prices. From well less than $10 to as much as $70-80 for the exact same product. The fact that some sellers can offer it for so little tells me two things; they are extremely cheaply manufactured, and many sellers are asking a huge profit.

The one you pictured does not look familiar to me. But it's been quite a while since I looked at any.

My suggestion is to set it up on the bench with a temporary test rig; power and speakers. Then try out the controls and see how the menus function. You may find right away that something doesn't work correctly or the design isn't to your liking. That way you can easily box it back up and return it before going through the full installation in your car.

@lookforjoe, this is something along the lines of what I was playing with previously. But look how inexpensive they are now!

Although that listing does not show the dimensions, they are roughly 1" tall by about 4" long and as you can see almost completely flat. And that was my intent, to keep it as little as possible for a minimal installation. All I wanted to do was put a memory card with my music files into it and use it as a standalone playback unit. Since I do not intend to use any external devices with it then BlueTooth is not needed. But that also requires the unit to have all of the necessary controls on it.

At the bottom of the page in the link I posted above are some suggested options for similar items. Here's a random selection from that.

This one has a choice of power levels and a more substantial circuit board on the back:

This one is a completely different format / footprint:

This one has a little different faceplate and offers a external amp (of very limited size):

This one show the faceplate dimensions as 25 X 93 mm:

I see all of them now include BlueTooth, which only some had in the past. And as I mentioned the prices have dropped significantly. I think the ones I tried were around $20 at that time.

At the bottom of the page in the link I posted above are some suggested options for similar items. Here's a random selection from that.

This one has a choice of power levels and a more substantial circuit board on the back:

This one is a completely different format / footprint:

This one has a little different faceplate and offers a external amp (of very limited size):

This one show the faceplate dimensions as 25 X 93 mm:

I see all of them now include BlueTooth, which only some had in the past. And as I mentioned the prices have dropped significantly. I think the ones I tried were around $20 at that time.

The preamp only version (or the 3 wpc version) with a real power amp may be the way to go. Some of those power ratings are much higher than the power required from the battery. If the numbers are true, you should be able to create energy from them!

The preamp only version (or the 3 wpc version) with a real power amp may be the way to go. Some of those power ratings are much higher than the power required from the battery. If the numbers are true, you should be able to create energy from them!
Not surprisingly all of those inexpensive units were complete garbage.

But in my defense I have a couple of portable MP3 players made by SanDisk that have similar features. They are tiny units (roughly one inch square by a quarter inch thick) with a rechargeable battery and earbuds....much like the little iPod Shuffle. They were around $25 at Frys and I've had them for many years with a ton of use / abuse and they still work perfectly. By comparison, at the time that I tried those small car units they were around $20-25 so I hoped they might be of similar quality. Not. :(

Back