Build Thread for La Bambina Azzura.

Glad to see you are still playing with this project car, great build. Ultimately all of the unneeded holes (of which there are many) should be filled and smoothed over. But that requires a repaint so it's a major job. ;)
Ya I still have a lot of work to do on the engine swap motor and will be filling all the holes at the same time all the metal work is done for the swap. Everything will have to be painted then. This is just a "it bugs me thing" while the body still is stock. I still need the holes for the front and rear bumperetts that I am making. not everybody is ready to go as far as we are on the body so everything I make has to be able to be bolted on to a stock body.

Glad to see you are still playing with this project car, great build. Ultimately all of the unneeded holes (of which there are many) should be filled and smoothed over. But that requires a repaint so it's a major job. ;)
I also put all the OEM lights etc back on so I could rescan3D for the abarth prototipo ducktail spoiler. Need to test fit and take pics. This little piece was just cause I had a new high res scan to work from.

front dead on two.jpg

wall road sm.jpg

Sorry for the late information, I am swapping in a 07K with 0A4 (KPF) transmission that came from a Jetta. Not sure how the KPF compares in size to other VAG trans but it was used in Diesels in other markets. I guess for the 07K they chose it for the torque capabilities. The package will fit with some relocation of the accessories. Alternator and water pump will be flipped to the other side of the motor. There will be some cutting of the frame for clearance but mostly for strength and stiffness. This will be an ITB motor and the goal is 220 to 250 wheel with about the same torques.

old school fit test. The plumb lines are from left to right, trans cover, right axle flange and the face of the pulley.

IMG_7651.jpg

Now the new kewl Skewl method. I wish it was easier to put up videos. I have scanned the motor and the bay. Will it be a no cut, no will it go in yes.

1664850042816.png

What I'm saying is, I'm a sculptor for Mattel. Sometimes if you present them with a ready to go file for a car they will find some place in the mix to release it. This is the last one I did, it just came out. If we haven't already done an X/19, I could make one and try to get it in the mix for production...😁
image002.jpg

Sorry for the late information, I am swapping in a 07K with 0A4 (KPF) transmission that came from a Jetta. Not sure how the KPF compares in size to other VAG trans but it was used in Diesels in other markets. I guess for the 07K they chose it for the torque capabilities. The package will fit with some relocation of the accessories. Alternator and water pump will be flipped to the other side of the motor. There will be some cutting of the frame for clearance but mostly for strength and stiffness. This will be an ITB motor and the goal is 220 to 250 wheel with about the same torques.

old school fit test. The plumb lines are from left to right, trans cover, right axle flange and the face of the pulley.

IMG_7651.jpg

Now the new kewl Skewl method. I wish it was easier to put up videos. I have scanned the motor and the bay. Will it be a no cut, no will it go in yes.

1664850042816.png
Thanks for this render. As you likely saw on the other thread I have one of these 07K/5-speed combos at my shop and we've been squinting at it for fit-and-interference issues. This visualization is AWESOME! I'm subscribed and anxious to follow your progress. That motor in an X will be amazing.

Thanks for this render. As you likely saw on the other thread I have one of these 07K/5-speed combos at my shop and we've been squinting at it for fit-and-interference issues. This visualization is AWESOME! I'm subscribed and anxious to follow your progress. That motor in an X will be amazing.

I have another 07k swap going on in another car also we are making a running engine stand for the i5 so we can dial a few things in with the standalone and accessory placement. With the scanner I am hoping that we can work out minimal cutting and mostly reinforcement. It will be an ITB car with TBs from the s85 BMW v10. The will be vertical just behind the glass.

What I'm saying is, I'm a sculptor for Mattel. Sometimes if you present them with a ready to go file for a car they will find some place in the mix to release it. This is the last one I did, it just came out. If we haven't already done an X/19, I could make one and try to get it in the mix for production...😁View attachment 66659

That is fantastic? What do you produce to present to them?

I have another 07k swap going on in another car also we are making a running engine stand for the i5 so we can dial a few things in with the standalone and accessory placement. With the scanner I am hoping that we can work out minimal cutting and mostly reinforcement. It will be an ITB car with
PICKUP_Bottom.png
PICKUP_Frnt.png
PICKUP_Side.png
PICKUP_Back.png
PICKUP_Interior1.png
PICKUP_Top.png
PICKUP_Iso1.png
PICKUP_Iso2.png
PICKUP_Interior2.png
TBs from the s85 BMW v10. The will be vertical just behind the glass.

That is fantastic? What do you produce to present to them?

Last edited:
Super cool!
Yes, an X1/9 would be great.
How come you haven't suggested your own 128 yet? 😁
Of coarse that would be awesome, but it is mainly an X forum... 🏎️
P.S. sorry for the slight thread detour, your car is awesome...🫡

Last edited:
What I'm saying is, I'm a sculptor for Mattel. Sometimes if you present them with a ready to go file for a car they will find some place in the mix to release it. This is the last one I did, it just came out. If we haven't already done an X/19, I could make one and try to get it in the mix for production...😁

Excuse the plug in Bobkat's thread - also do the Dallara in red & yellow :cool: - every car show I take it to, the kids all assume its a 'real version' of a Hot Wheels car😆

Excuse the plug in Bobkat's thread - also do the Dallara in red & yellow :cool: - every car show I take it to, the kids all assume its a 'real version' of a Hot Wheels car😆

I have always thought that your car would make one of the coolest hot wheels.

Of coarse that would be awesome, but it is mainly an X forum... 🏎️
P.S. sorry for the slight thread detour, your car is awesome...🫡

I could not reply to you post with all your modeling for some reason but that is an incredible amount of work! So cool !

Well it took a while to get it right think this is the final ITB design. A few failed test fit this one will clear everything and has integrated manifold for IAC and MAP. IT will be printed in CF/ Nylon unless someone has a better suggestion. Almost vertical Horns with a straight shot for the injectors. 50mm ITBs from a BMW s85 V10. Should sound nice right behind my head. Also just finished a running engine stand to dial in both 07K swaps I have underway.
1675395975457.png

Well it took a while to get it right think this is the final ITB design. A few failed test fit this one will clear everything and has integrated manifold for IAC and MAP. IT will be printed in CF/ Nylon unless someone has a better suggestion. Almost vertical Horns with a straight shot for the injectors. 50mm ITBs from a BMW s85 V10. Should sound nice right behind my head. Also just finished a running engine stand to dial in both 07K swaps I have underway.
View attachment 70219
That engine has a great engine note and intake sound as standard, this will do nothing but magnify it.

Is that as tall as the velocity stacks can be and still clear an engine cover?

I was curious if the manifold could be taller with a tighter radius between the head and the throttle bodies (taking the 13-15mm out of the velocity stacks) and make the top of the velocity stacks level.

Air cleaner arrangement?

Looks great this will be a remarkable swap (to put it mildly).

Thanks

That engine has a great engine note and intake sound as standard, this will do nothing but magnify it.

Is that as tall as the velocity stacks can be and still clear an engine cover?

I was curious if the manifold could be taller with a tighter radius between the head and the throttle bodies (taking the 13-15mm out of the velocity stacks) and make the top of the velocity stacks level.

Air cleaner arrangement?

Looks great this will be a remarkable swap (to put it mildly).

Thanks
The stacks will fit under a stock cover with a fair bit of room for a flat filter on the top or Cap filters. My car will not have a cover but Stratos style louvers so I will have taller stacks and lots of room. The key is to have a straight shot for the injectors to the valves. The distance is a s long as I could make it to get more power up top. Side shot shows there is a lot of room. I will be doing a different valve cover to mimic some sort of old Italian motor. These motor can have just a 1/4 inch plate for a valve cover. That tall part is just part of the PVC system that will be replaced with a better system relocated. But even this stock cover fits under the cover.

328845607_931237591215762_320854942898992274_n.jpg

Back