new '82 X owner (after 30 years without) general questions

Replacing the shifter bolt/bushing/wavy washer was more than a PITA than I expected. All parts from MWB: new rubber bellow, new lollipop (which required a bit of a tweak to lay flat against the trans input attachment) and bolt kit. The bolt bushing wouldn't go into the lollipop hole without a tiny bit of work with a rat-tail file, and the wavy washer wouldnt go around the bushing without some persuation with a a vice, socket and hammer. Old one was free to move on the bushing so seems the wavy MWB washer is just a hair undersized, or the bushing a hair over.
Finally, after about a dozen times up and down off the creeper (jealous, again, of you bastards with lifts!) got it on and snugged up. Will be a couple weeks until wheels are done and she's down on the ground, then I can see how well aligned everything is.
Also got the new lower fuel lines on and cleaned up fuel pump back in, with new rubber isolators and rubber clamp liner on the mount.
Next up: new brake hoses and fluid flush/bleed, and reverse-bleed through the clutch slave. Expecting a moderate mess and hoping fror a firm pedal..

View attachment 70106
You might consider putting a prefilter in front of that pump. Nice use of Oetiker clamps.

You might consider putting a prefilter in front of that pump. Nice use of Oetiker clamps.
thanks I did consider a pre-filter but since old filter was pretty damn clean inside, and the tank got fully emptied when the hose to pump broke off in my hands figured it will be getting nice clean gas for quite a while.
Today's job (rainy for another week so still no painting of rims):
- remove ratty driver's door opening rubber, test fit replacement from Amazon while I wait for MWB to get better stuff in stock. Done.
- remove front suspension radius arm rods, strip and prime. Then later paint (need more POR15) and install with new rubber donuts and bushings. After Waffle House and Costco, before Eagle's game.

POR-15'd the radius rods and replaced the hard and squished rubber donuts and missing plastic rod sleeves.
Wheels are primed, hope be painting later this week after the next few days with rain forecast.
Image3022729425769666037.jpgImage8384164850960145034.jpgImage6704282799755343280.jpgImage2652413889668919189.jpgImage5693178386287262921.jpg

Last edited:
Umm, looks great. Now about that bracket at the front which looks really grody in comparison…
Yeah I know. Short of a nut and bolt restoration you have to draw the line somewhere.... like not doing anything to the tabs bolted to the the A-arm that go under the radius rod bolt head (still trying to figure out what this does).
Engine bay will look a little funny also - with the freshly repainted air filter housing and new dogbone contrasting with the "aged" intake, cam cover, brackets etc.

I'm enjoying your updates Nurburgringer. I refinished my air cleaner recently and decided to treat it to a reproduction "Bertone" sticker. MWB have one made from stretchy vinyl so you can actually fit it to the compound surface without wrinkles. The originals always looked like poo because they couldn't stretch. Reasonably priced and easy to "install" if you already have an order to place with MWB.

At this point you should consider adding a pre-filter before your fuel pump when you put it all back together. There should be plenty of posts here with specific recommendations for a suitable filter.
Make sure it is a screen pre-filter and not a paper filter. A screen filter will take a lot longer to clog up yet still give you the protection you need, MWB has them but I am sure others do as well. Just did this job last summer.

Replacing the shifter bolt/bushing/wavy washer was more than a PITA than I expected. All parts from MWB: new rubber bellow, new lollipop (which required a bit of a tweak to lay flat against the trans input attachment) and bolt kit. The bolt bushing wouldn't go into the lollipop hole without a tiny bit of work with a rat-tail file, and the wavy washer wouldnt go around the bushing without some persuation with a a vice, socket and hammer. Old one was free to move on the bushing so seems the wavy MWB washer is just a hair undersized, or the bushing a hair over.
Finally, after about a dozen times up and down off the creeper (jealous, again, of you bastards with lifts!) got it on and snugged up. Will be a couple weeks until wheels are done and she's down on the ground, then I can see how well aligned everything is. But straight away the feel of the shift action is MUCH improved. Not quite a well oiled bolt action rifle but almost none of the rubbery, vague feeling like before.

Also got the new lower fuel lines on and cleaned up fuel pump back in, with new rubber isolators and rubber clamp liner on the mount.
Next up: new brake hoses and fluid flush/bleed, and reverse-bleed through the clutch slave. Expecting a moderate mess and hoping fror a firm pedal..

View attachment 70106
Just did that job in the fall and did a right up on adjusting it. It sounds like you may have the bushing going into the hole on the lollypop which it should not do, it should right on the surface above the hole.

Just did that job in the fall and did a right up on adjusting it. It sounds like you may have the bushing going into the hole on the lollypop which it should not do, it should right on the surface above the hole.

Sorry not following. This pic in your thread is how mine is. Bushing's smaller diameter part has to go inside lollipops hole, as i see it

1668389566411.png

That's an impressive display of domicile dominance Nurburg. But if you really want to take over you should bake those AC parts in her oven on warm for at least an hour. Freshens the entire kitchen with an inviting smell of industrial hydrocarbons for hours. Baked cookies are overrated.

good one :) Hydrocarbon smell would annoy me more than her however, judging by how much I hate the aroma of nail polish remover.
Wheels have invaded the inner sanctum of our bedroom.
Will let them cure while we're in New Orleans this weekend, then paint the black accents, then clear coat.
Image2757441555818813857.jpg

Henk's armrest arrived from Holland.
Unfortunately when I opened the package one lid-hinge was completely broken off and the other cracked. Apparently mine is the first out of 100s of armrests Henk has shipped around the world to arrive damaged. Guess I'm just really unlucky to not get postage workers treating the flimsy package with kid gloves along it's entire journey.
Henk offered to send me a new armrest top for 64Euros/70USD (on top of the 139Euros/158USD already paid) but for now I'll try epoxying the hinges, adding extra around the thin plastic and maybe a small screw or two through the base and into the epoxy to give it some extra structure.
Will also wire-wheel and grease the rusted hinge pins while they're out.
If the epoxy doesn't hold will just glue the lid shut. It's a tight squeeze between the stock seats so may not use it for storage much even with functional hinges anyway. Not worth spending more money on the piece, which I'm not even sure I'll end up using.
Image7342880685577167476.jpgImage2296505173955924247.jpgImage145100657425344991.jpgImage7725648342640544585.jpgImage7889869392867631643.jpgImage7175495654460585714.jpg

Last edited:
thanks and me too! Done by a father/son place that does a lot of full custom interiors. Things like Lincoln Town Cars and Hummers like you'd see in rap videos :) They have an old pair of blue Recaro seats - ones with the square mesh headrests - high up on a high shelf collecting dust, supposedly the owner dropped them off a few years ago then went to jail. Told him he could probably sell them for a couple grand on BaT but unless the owner is serving a life sentence he probably wouldn't be too happy about that.
Anyway, I specifically asked for same panels and stitching as OEM, just new vinyl and fabric of my choosing, and they killed it.
No website:

1676491710767.png

Clear coated the rims, will let them cure about a week before getting fresh rubber on.
Screenshot 2023-02-19 3.03.08 PM.pngImage557862716033410672.jpg
Also removed the side vinyl stripes. Liking the clean look, initially at least. Will let it marinate for a while before going with the "laser" graphics, or maybe something else will grow on me.
Image8666677445188865193.jpg

Also drained the oil and put in a new Bosch filter.
Last jobs before she's back on the road are new accessory belt, short speedo cable, and fixing the heat-bent speedo and tach needles.

Back