Cleaning components / parts

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Yesterday I commented on how I dislike the task of cleaning old dirty parts when working on vintage cars:

Actually I'm still working on that task. But it brings to mind some thoughts on the subject that we've discussed before and may be due for updating. These threads include good information:

I'm sure there are others, please add them.

For the most part the cleaning processes that work best without undue effort can also be quite costly. Particularly if it requires specialized equipment. Hopefully someone has found newer techniques or products that are worth trying? Ideally for home use at a reasonable expense. Please post if you know a better approach that hasn't been discussed already.

I'll add one side note to this topic. Some time ago on another forum I read about an inexpensive degreaser that was reported to work well for general cleaning. Shortly after reading about it I happened to see a squirt bottle of the stuff at a store and it was indeed inexpensive. So I decided to try some. The product name makes it sound like cheap crap that you'd never bother with, "LA's Totally Awesome". Actually it works pretty well, similar to the other typical degreasers like Simple Green, Purple Stuff, etc. Definitely not a miracle cleaning product (and certainly won't make cleaning a transmission easy), but fine for general use. Then I discovered my local "99 Cent" stores sell a gallon of it for under $5. Much less expensive than its rivals.

For one of my recent scan jobs I had to clean up a transmission and tried something new .

My clean jobs usually start with de-greaser and then go at it with a small steam cleaner and various brushes. For realy gross parts it is the heated power washer. If a part is broken down and I can get it in my 50liter ultrasonic cleaner then in it goes. From there into the media blaster for glass bead or an abrasive if it is going to be painted or cerekote. Then acetone wipe.

The base cleaner I normally use in a spray bottle, parts washer and ultrasonic is the Simple Green Pro purple. This time started with Dawn spray. Worked great. The foam sticks and really cuts the dirt and grease. Working with a brush it stays as a foam. Steams off nicely. It is now the go to starting cleaner.

1678837482554.png

I've been using LA's Totally Awesome for years on my model RC engines. It's one of the few solvents I've come across that can really break down burned on castor oil residue. An RC engine guru on YouTube said it was great because it won't darken aluminum castings like some of the caustic oven cleaners and wheel cleaners out there with lye in them. All I know is it cuts through the goo and a great stain remover too.

This is what I use. These have been around for a long time and they work great. No need to re-invent the wheel. Get one of these and you'll never look back. You'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner. Safety Clean will sell you the solvent but I get mine at a local "farm supply" store.
1678882273357.png

For one of my recent scan jobs I had to clean up a transmission and tried something new .

My clean jobs usually start with de-greaser and then go at it with a small steam cleaner and various brushes. For realy gross parts it is the heated power washer. If a part is broken down and I can get it in my 50liter ultrasonic cleaner then in it goes. From there into the media blaster for glass bead or an abrasive if it is going to be painted or cerekote. Then acetone wipe.

The base cleaner I normally use in a spray bottle, parts washer and ultrasonic is the Simple Green Pro purple. This time started with Dawn spray. Worked great. The foam sticks and really cuts the dirt and grease. Working with a brush it stays as a foam. Steams off nicely. It is now the go to starting cleaner.

View attachment 71355
Unfortunately, if you do not need to tear down the trans for any reason and only want to clean and paint it, then it severely limits the options. Use of pressure washer will inevitably get water inside. It's too big to fit in most ultrasound units or even regular parts washers. Media blasting isn't advised for both of the above reasons. So it pretty much comes down to old fashion hand scrubbing. :(

This is what I use. These have been around for a long time and they work great. No need to re-invent the wheel. Get one of these and you'll never look back. You'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner. Safety Clean will sell you the solvent but I get mine at a local "farm supply" store.
View attachment 71367
I have one but unfortunately a whole transmission doesn't fit in it well. If you are tearing the trans completely down then a parts washer is a great way to go. It prevents one of the more aggravating things about hand cleaning a large, filthy part; as you continue to clean around the unit, the gunk you are washing off tends to migrate back over the areas you've already cleaned. Requiring another round of cleaning. With the constant flow of solvent in a parts washer the gunk moves down below the part and gets filtered out. ;)

Unfortunately, if you do not need to tear down the trans for any reason and only want to clean and paint it, then it severely limits the options. Use of pressure washer will inevitably get water inside. It's too big to fit in most ultrasound units or even regular parts washers. Media blasting isn't advised for both of the above reasons. So it pretty much comes down to old fashion hand scrubbing. :(
that is exactly why I like the spray dawn and steam cleaner. Spray on wipe off and the steam rinse uses very little water.

I have one but unfortunately a whole transmission doesn't fit in it well. If you are tearing the trans completely down then a parts washer is a great way to go. It prevents one of the more aggravating things about hand cleaning a large, filthy part; as you continue to clean around the unit, the gunk you are washing off tends to migrate back over the areas you've already cleaned. Requiring another round of cleaning. With the constant flow of solvent in a parts washer the gunk moves down below the part and gets filtered out. ;)
Yes, size matters when it comes to parts washers. The 30 gallon model is very common and even though it's awkward a X1/9 trans will fit in it.
BTW - even a 124 Spider trans fits when you remove the shiftier and bellhousing.

Back