What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Today

I finally got around to installing my recently-acquired 40 DCNFs, electronic fuel pump, and fuel lines. Had a buddy over to help me out who had never heard the car run, despite the fact that he's been helping me for a year. When I started it he yells "HOLY S#!T that sounds like my Ducati!"

Today was a good day. :)

Took photos my X with New wheels and tires...

Well it finally stopped raining today so I pulled the X out of the garage to take some photos in the sunshine. I loved and still do my Chrome DIP wheels which is why I kept them for when the mood strikes but I do love the look of my X now very much. My X had 13" Compomotive's when I bought it almost 18years ago and it reminds me of that time. I can't wait to drive it as it sits 2" lower.

URL=http://img214.imageshack.us/i/pb180006.jpg/]
pb180006.jpg
[/URL]

Not the best angle to see it but you can kind of see the "Engine cover mod" I did as shown on Youtube by John at Costa Messa.

'PeteX1/9

Nice!

You won't have trouble seeing at night either.

One gotcha, the rear wheels need to be swapped right for left, the tires are directional and designed to move water away from under the tire when rolling forward. The fronts look correct. :thumbsup:

Ha!!!:mallet:
I feel like such a tool. I don't know if I ever would have noticed. I guess it's a good thing I haven't driven on them beyond my driveway yet.

Thanks so much for noticing, I will be changing that right after dinner.

'PeteX1/9

BTDT...

...Even after double checking. If it helps, there should be an arrow molded into the sidewall indicating direction of rotation.

One way to make it easy is to write LF, RF, etc. on the inside sidewall with a grease crayon. I see a lot of racers do this.

Well it finally stopped raining today so I pulled the X out of the garage to take some photos in the sunshine. I loved and still do my Chrome DIP wheels which is why I kept them for when the mood strikes but I do love the look of my X now very much. My X had 13" Compomotive's when I bought it almost 18years ago and it reminds me of that time. I can't wait to drive it as it sits 2" lower.

URL=http://img214.imageshack.us/i/pb180006.jpg/]
pb180006.jpg
[/url]

Not the best angle to see it but you can kind of see the "Engine cover mod" I did as shown on Youtube by John at Costa Messa.

'PeteX1/9
jimp1.gif

Glad YOU and the rest of the WORLD likes them...

... as for me, Peter... I LOVED your other set... its what made your car stand out... that and the 10,000 candlepower lights.

Enjoy...

Pete,
I think it looks smokin' hot now. Are the A048s 185/60s? Did you have a choice of compounds? MH has a UTQG of 60. They need to warm up a little when first starting out. Take out any false teeth before cornering.:D

Last edited:
The Yokohama A048's are 185/60/13 (front) and 205/60/13 (rear) and yes they are Medium hard compound. I can't wait to go for a nice spirited drive:headbang:

I bought them from Demon Tweeks in the UK who are amazing. I bought them on Thursday night Eastern time so it was already almost morning on Friday in the UK and they shipped them out ASAP as they were in stock and they traveled around the clock. They were already in New York, U.S by saturday afternoon and were delivered Monday afternoon to my U.S address in Clayton, New York. I can't get things shipped or mailed from within my own province that fast and they traveled across the world over a weekend. Oh and the price was rediculously low $78.00(british pounds sterling) each which is about $135.00 Canadian or U.S now.

'PeteX1/9

simply gorgeous Pete

:shock2:
fswf.gif

ya wanna swap xs for a while, so you can fix mine up like yours :nod:

Replaced the ground strap today and ran a 4 gauge cable from the negative on my battery to the engine block (battery is located in the rear trunk) so it is easier to do for me. A couple of weeks ago I ran a ground strap from the valve cover to the firewall.

I'm finally posting photos of the cables I replaced from the battery to the starter and from the starter to the Alternator. Everything is new new all in an attempt to restore some voltage but I'm pretty sure that my Alternator has to be replaced regardless. The replaced parts are all a positive upgrade by my Alternator failed badly the voltage tests I did. The voltage at both the battery and the Alternator drop when the car is running. The voltage at the battery 12.56V(fully charged) and at the Alternator the same but when the car is running the voltage at the battery drops to 12.25V and at the Alternator it reads the same.

I replaced this Alternator less then 2 years ago, bought it on Ebay as a remanufactured 55amp Magnetti so I definetely want to try Bosch next time for WO/AC

http://img442.imageshack.us/i/pa170065.jpg/

I don't know anything about ground straps so not sure if this was still ok but replaced it anyways. New one is twice as wide but same style.
]
pb190002.jpg
[/url]

'PeteX1/9

My new wheels and tires arrived today:headbang: I was going to wait untill I finished installing them before posting anything but I couldn't resist.

That looks incredible.

I took the fuel sender out AGAIN. And emptied the float that had refilled with gas, resealed it and put it back. I'm going for the record for most time spent on a fuel sender.

Geez... what a mess...

I don't blame your alternator for committing suicide!

A Bosch ain't gonna do much better... both use some very limited circuitry in their regulators and rectifiers...

With your skill level Peter, and your modified car... I dunno what's stopping you from going the GM route.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1142890167/GM+alternator+conversion

Congrats on finding and fixing the cabling... now how would ya like 14.something + charging voltage and a 63 amp capacity MINIMUM? Outta really LIGHT UP that front end of yours!

Great looking ride, Pete.

But listen to Papa Tony. We're both older than dirt, but he knows what he's talking about.

I might even try the GM mod for my X one of these days.

Best of luck.
Mike

I want to but am just not completely confident I know how. I would have boughten the GM upgrade from Midwest years ago but it is only available for w/ac cars. I have seen that post of the wo/ac mod before on here and the write-up starts up great untill the last half and then it leaves you imagining what it is supposed to look like installed and exactly how it connects to the car and lines up with the belt. I follow the wiring part and the mod to the motor mount perfectly but then it just says to buy that adjustment arm and spacer tube and cut them and attach them to the nearest water pump bolt and that's it.

On non/ac X's as I'm sure you know the Alternator belt also runs the water pump so I'm petrified of taking chances when if the new alternator doesn't line up perfectly the belt will probably get ripped right off and then car overheats and head goes blahhhhhhhh.

I have all the confidence in the world that I can do anything if you show me a diagram or a very good description. I'm an Engineer and that's what I do but I don't like imagining what it should look like when it comes to my X.

'PeteX1/9

Added after doing some searching.....

After having done a search for parts I'm already starting to feel more confident although I would still love to see an installed photo. I can't find the alternator wiring adapter that is mentioned in the mod so any help with a part number would be great. I can also get a GM alternator in CHROME!!! IMAGINE!!!!

'PeteX1/9

Last edited:
I finally got around to installing my recently-acquired 40 DCNFs, electronic fuel pump, and fuel lines. Had a buddy over to help me out who had never heard the car run, despite the fact that he's been helping me for a year. When I started it he yells "HOLY S#!T that sounds like my Ducati!"

Today was a good day. :)

Just for giggles, what fuel pump did you use?

The Yokohama A048's are 185/60/13 (front) and 205/60/13 (rear) and yes they are Medium hard compound. I can't wait to go for a nice spirited drive:headbang:

I bought them from Demon Tweeks in the UK who are amazing. I bought them on Thursday night Eastern time so it was already almost morning on Friday in the UK and they shipped them out ASAP as they were in stock and they traveled around the clock. They were already in New York, U.S by saturday afternoon and were delivered Monday afternoon to my U.S address in Clayton, New York. I can't get things shipped or mailed from within my own province that fast and they traveled across the world over a weekend. Oh and the price was rediculously low $78.00(british pounds sterling) each which is about $135.00 Canadian or U.S now.

'PeteX1/9

Pete, your going to have to bring that car to one of my races in Ogdensburg (well, near there) this summer!

Chrome... AND... with 80 and 100 amp ratings...

Pete... I'm afraid you are letting the ENGINEERING side of you get in the way of progress here.

I apologize for not taking the A/C in consideration as I thought you stated it was a non A/C issue. With that said... you are NOT gonna find fotos or a video on this mod with or without A/C... unless YOU make one.

This is NOT rocket science here... and done "respectfully", you can align pulleys easier and better than even the factory did. Its really NOT an issue. And that's probably why there are not any fotos. Even if there was in this... they would not be applicable to your situation. Lets move on here...

As for mounting a GM alt in the same spot as the Marelli/Bosch on an A/C car... you will need to bring all YOUR engineering skills to bear in that regard. Then go for it. I can't help... sorry.

As for the wiring... and the connector... As shown in the link you end up with TWO wires and they interconnect with your existing two wires via either a SPLICE... (don't tell Bob Brown!!!) or with adapters you would need to facilitate from the HELP centers at you local parts store. The MAIN heavy wire goes to the starter (and eventually the battery) and the other is the "exciter" lead that usually connects to the ECM and then eventually the voltmeter.

Lastly... you would need to determine a new belt size by using "ROCKET SCIENCE STRING" for the rough circumference, then purchasing two or three belts and using the best fit, return the extras and then buy one more for a spare in the correct size.

Sorry for the "nosebleed"... but like childbirth... some things can't be avoided. And like having kids, ya usually don't regret the hassle for the rewards you get... at least not initially! HA!

Otherwise... I can only suggest two other solutions... and one is to have your Marelli/Bosch alt HOT RODDED with upgraded components. I doubt the cost and hassle would be worth that effort.

Then your last alternative would be... to live with what you've got.

Frankly... I did the latter for about 20 years... and I finally moved on. With that lighting, and most likely the stereo system you would have on board... you really need a decently sized and more robust alternator aboard... and probably a second battery as well.

Hope I've motivated ya... I'm sure with all that you have done before if you put your mind to this, you can do this rather easily. I think you will be surprised, as well as very satisfied with the project in the end.

Back