1979 X1/9 for parts

beezee

True Classic
I'm going to look at a '79 X1/9 that is being parted out. The car is in the southern Ontario area. I have been told the engine has only 44,000 kms on it and it runs. I'm interested in some plastic pieces, the roof and possibly the trunk lid. I'm hoping to scout it out this weekend and maybe take some pictures. If anyone needs anything let me know and I'll check the condition.

I'm going to look at a '79 X1/9 that is being parted out. The car is in the southern Ontario area. I have been told the engine has only 44,000 kms on it and it runs. I'm interested in some plastic pieces, the roof and possibly the trunk lid. I'm hoping to scout it out this weekend and maybe take some pictures. If anyone needs anything let me know and I'll check the condition.

I'd take the transmission and CV shafts if the price is right :)

I wonder if the car is a light blue car, with no interior. If so, I saw that car last year at the previous owner's place in Niagara on the Lake.

I'd take the transmission and CV shafts if the price is right :)

I wonder if the car is a light blue car, with no interior. If so, I saw that car last year at the previous owner's place in Niagara on the Lake.

No, this one is gold (repainted) with a white/brown interior. I'll get a price for the transmission and shafts. Would you be willing to remove the parts on-site?

I'd take a couple of the tiny stainless ? screws on the targa sail that fasten the convertible top receiver to the sail. There's four of them per side. I only need one or two.

I'd take a couple of the tiny stainless ? screws on the targa sail that fasten the convertible top receiver to the sail. There's four of them per side. I only need one or two.

I think the shipping cost to the USA would far outweigh the value of the screws.

Here is the ad for the car:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/london/1979-fiat-x1-9-part-out/1273790155

I had a look and it's pretty rough. Floors, rocker panels, drivers rear quarter panel, are badly rusted. The owner is a young guy who wanted to fix it up but decided to sell it off instead. He claims the car has 44,000 kms and was last on the road in 1989, but the odometer rolls over after 99,000 so it's hard to be sure. He did have the engine running though.

I bought the targa top, trunk lid and some other parts.

Any pics? Being Canadian; is this Euro specification or US spec? If Euro, Id be interested in the camshaft and possibly the head.

No Eastep...to the best of my knowledge, Canadian delivered X1/9s were always (well almost) identical to the USA spec ones.

The only difference that I know of is...that starting in around '77 or'78, the Canadian X's had a speedo in KPH. Of course USA cars always had MPH. As a point of trivia, I suppose this made the Canadian instrument cluster rather unique, as Euro cars back then (which would have had the speedo in KPH as well) I think had an oil pressure gauge in the spot where we (like the USA) had a voltmeter. Which I guess made our cluster with KPH and a voltmeter a Canada only thing ??

By the way, '82 was the last year we got any X1/9s up here. We never got any of the Bertone badged versions.

Hi Beezee,

Please check our "conversation".

Thanks & Have a Good Day.
Mel.

It was on facebook, my friend Daniel went to go pick it up :)

I did chat with the owner of the car as I was interested in the gearbox, but I've got several spares already - lol..

Glad to see the car will help save another ,I was going to go get it on sat but I found a 82 I picked up for parts instead. I now have two in the driveway lol

Glad to see the car will help save another ,I was going to go get it on sat but I found a 82 I picked up for parts instead. I now have two in the driveway lol

You're in Toronto as well? Nice! Same here.. I used to race an X1/9 in CASC many years back. I have an '82 street car, and I'll be at La Paloma tonight for the Italian car night.

I've had mine for years, I used to commute to Toronto every day in it. Sometimes I even made it home without breaking down lol. I lost 1st and second gear so it's been parked 2 years now. So I can't wait to get her up and running this year

Back