Trailering an 850

HazN

True Classic
I just sold my trailer. It was made for big 'merican cars. It only had one inch from tire inside to the center drop-off. It took the skill of a safe cracker to put my 850 based Lombardi aboard. The question is this: I'm considering renting a U-Haul trailer to go to FFO and such. Will it fit?

Thanks for any input.

Hi Haz,

The uhaul website doesn't give specs on the car hauler. I have used them a couple times for X1/9s, but I have no 850 experience. I think your best bet to get the correct info is to drive over to your local Uhaul and measure the trailer yourself.

drive over and test load the car. I have seen people do this many times and never a charge for it.

(I would suggest using Penske over Uhaul) a little more $ but if you have a problem Penske has a much better track record of taking car of you.

I am thinking not so much... I have moved Xs and Yugos around more than I care to think and Uhaul does not recognize the trailer as an option for moving either of those cars... The track is not sufficient to roll on the trailer. This doesn't mean it would not work only too close for their comfort. Only option is the tow dolly. This is on the website but if you go to the rental office they use the same info. The days of people onsite thinking or making a decision are almost 20 years in the rearview mirror. Tow dolly would require axle removal...
You can tell them anything you want in terms of what you are carrying but any troubles and the truth will rear it's ugly head! One could only imagine what a mess that would be.
You might do a dolly with towable dollys on the rear? Not sure if you can even rent those but they would negate the need to do axle work. .
Good luck
Regards

Thanks all for the thoughts., If my aged, failing memory is to be trusted, I think I have seen 600's and even 500's on one of these trailers. I just can't be sure. I guess I will need to stop by my local U-Haul emporium and measure.

In my parts you can buy a pretty nice used flatbed trailer for about the price of a weeks rental.
I can put everything from my Alfa to motorcycle on that. Don't take a chance with the Lombardi.

I towed my 850 Sport Coupe from California to VT on a tow dolly. I put the car on facing backwards and lashed the steering wheel to hold the wheels straight. Mine doesn't have a locking steering column.

The car barely fit the ramps of the dolly width wise with standard steel rims.

It towed just fine backwards the whole way.

on backward tow's look out for things like convertibles (louvers on a 280Z), run roofs, side windows on minivan's that open backward only, tona covers on pick up's, knock off single lug nut wheels, rear opening hoods/trunks like out X1/9 has.

Coming from the towing industry I have seen the above things create a LOT of damage.

Oh and I saw pictures of what a semi being towed backwards can do to parked car's if the driver FORGETS to tie off the steering wheel.

No input though specifically for the 850 just basic towing watch out for this/that advice.

I just bought a Fiat 850 spider and need to tow it home from Salem Oregon. Does any one know how wide the front wheels are apart? I will go to the U-Haul dealer and rent a tow dolly and need to make sure that it will fit.
Thanks a bunch,
Pat

Help from the innerwebz.... :D

850_spider_dimensions.gif

Reactions: Pat
The guy that bought my 850 Coupe parts car loaded it on a Uhaul trailer -- it was close, but it worked. Just don't tell Uhaul that you're towing an 850, since they won't rent you one for that car.

W
The guy that bought my 850 Coupe parts car loaded it on a Uhaul trailer -- it was close, but it worked. Just don't tell Uhaul that you're towing an 850, since they won't rent you one for that car.
What kind of trailer was it and what do you mean by "close"?

It was Uhaul's basic open car hauler trailer as far as I could tell. The trailer had two ramps/loading areas with open space in between the two and that's where it was close. The 850's tires were just at the inside edges of the loading area, beyond that the floor space is open. Sorry if that's a little unclear, I'm sure I'm not using the proper trailer terms. Essentially, the 850's narrow inner track combined with the trailer's open middle section is what causes the close fit.

It was Uhaul's basic open car hauler trailer as far as I could tell. The trailer had two ramps/loading areas with open space in between the two and that's where it was close. The 850's tires were just at the inside edges of the loading area, beyond that the floor space is open. Sorry if that's a little unclear, I'm sure I'm not using the proper trailer terms. Essentially, the 850's narrow inner track combined with the trailer's open middle section is what causes the close fit.
That sounds like the trailer I sold, with one exception. The U-Haul trailer, I believe, has an upturned edge on both sides of the ramps. Mine was just flat to the drop-off. I usually winched it on backwards. I approximated the skill of a safe-cracker to do so.

Thanks for the great info. I measured the U-haul trailer and I think it will work. I can hardly wait to pick up my new car. I have wanted one of these for years now and hopefully will tow it home to my garage soon.
Pat

Thanks for the great info. I measured the U-haul trailer and I think it will work. I can hardly wait to pick up my new car. I have wanted one of these for years now and hopefully will tow it home to my garage soon.
Pat
Let us know if it does. Good luck!

Let us know if it does. Good luck!
Trailer worked just fine and my new cute car is at home awaiting some attention.
I got this car from a Craig's list ad. The story is that some one painted the car, redid both seats, rebuilt the carb and engine, or maybe just the head and then past on, leaving the car needing a new owner. A young gentleman purchased the car late last year and then decided to sell it, and that is where I came into the picture. Now, I need to reassemble the interior, but I notice thst there are a lot more parts in the trunk than I need. Also, the are a few missing items that I will need.
Now I need help on where to find parts for this as I don't think the Fiat dealer is much help. Yes, it came with a hardtop and a decent folding top with a good plastic window is sitting loose. Not sure why they took the convertible top off.
Next, I will have a zillion questions.
Later, Pat

Now, I need to reassemble the interior, but I notice thst there are a lot more parts in the trunk than I need. Also, the are a few missing items that I will need. Now I need help on where to find parts for this as I don't think the Fiat dealer is much help.

Next, I will have a zillion questions.

Post which items you need, what you want to get rid of & what you need to know, & I'm sure between all of the various 850 owners here we can get you sorted out. ;)

Back