WTB: 5 speed transmission and FI fuel tank

Mezzanine

Daily Driver
I'm looking to convert my 4 speed to a five speed, and also need a fuel injection gas tank. This listing is a "want to buy" for the following items:

1. 5 speed transaxle. Condition: your functioning spare would be ideal; I'm planning to do a refresh on it. This is the trans you pulled out of a running and driving parts car, but didn't drive enough to see how good it was. I'd like to be somewhere in the $200 range, but I need you to tell me if I'm crazy.
  2. 5 speed flywheel. Used condition - rusty is fine because I'll be chucking it up on the lathe to lighten anyway. ~$30?
  3. Fuel tank from a fuel injected car. Mine is going to get converted, so I'd like a decent spare you don't need. Clean internal preferred - not worried about external appearance as I can clean it up. ~$50?
Prices are a WAG since I'm not too current on the spare parts market for these items.
I'm located in the Tacoma, WA area. Semi-local would be preferred due to the size of these items; I'm hoping there is someone in the Pacific Northwest with a hoard they wouldn't mind thinning.

I'm in Olympia and have an extra 1500 flywheel. I was looking to get mine lightened, but can't find anyone to do it here in Olympia. You can have the extra one I have if you will do the lightening on the one on my '79. ;) I also have a complete extra 5 speed transaxle, that I have just disassembled so I know what is right and wrong with it. I had offered some parts of it to Cougar72 after his blew up, but have not heard anything from him for a while. I would rather get rid of the whole thing. PM me and we can make some arrangements to meet.

Excellent, thanks Rodger! PM sent. If Rodger and I can work out the details, I'm down to just the fuel tank needed.

Hi Mezzanine,

Perhaps you already know this, but I will add it here anyway. If you are converting a 1300 series X to 1500 FI be aware that you will need a 1500 accel pedal, 1500 accel cable and that the 1500 accel cable will not fit the 1300 guide tube in the center tunnel. You will need to shorten the tube and come up with a way to join the cable to the modified tube.

Hmm, first I have heard of this... ?? But will my Bike break cable mod still work?? (using the existing housing)?

Hmm, first I have heard of this... ?? But will my Bike break cable mod still work?? (using the existing housing)?

Hi Rod, if you have a 1500 series car you won't run into this issue. The pedal/cable set up was changed in 79. Here is the old 1300 vs new 1500:
accel cable 2 txt.JPG
The first I heard of this issue is when I ran into it myself. People had always said swapping from carb to FI was simple. Apparently those folks had only swapped a 79/80 carb car to FI. That would eliminate this hassle for sure.

Sorry if I am derailing Mezzanine's thread. :oops:

Good to know Jim, thanks for the info - no worries about derailing the thread.

I'm actually staying with a 1300, and it will get a standalone engine management to go with some Jenvey DCNF throttle bodies, so I'll have to modify my throttle linkage anyway. The five speed swap is just in hopes of getting 60-ish MPH cruising to a more manageable RPM than the 4250 I turn right now!

OK Mezz, you threw me off with the request for an FI fuel tank. Is the lower output port on the FI tank just a better fit for the fuel system you are planning?

Hi Mezzanine,

Perhaps you already know this, but I will add it here anyway. If you are converting a 1300 series X to 1500 FI be aware that you will need a 1500 accel pedal, 1500 accel cable and that the 1500 accel cable will not fit the 1300 guide tube in the center tunnel. You will need to shorten the tube and come up with a way to join the cable to the modified tube.

Really no need to change the throttle cable if you keep most of the carb linkage that's on the cam cover. (easiest to simply swap the cam covers over)

That said I have changed an early car over to the FI throttle cable set-up. It's much better IMHO. I cut the tube, then used a pipe flaring tool to put a "flange on it. It came out OK, I used the funky stock clip to hold it together.

OK Mezz, you threw me off with the request for an FI fuel tank. Is the lower output port on the FI tank just a better fit for the fuel system you are planning?

Yeah, I'd prefer to go gravity fed...I thought about mounting a pump above the tank and using a pickup tube through one of the top carb ports in my current tank, but it smells like bodge. Figured I'd give doing it right a shot first.

Figured I'd give doing it right a shot first.

Hmmm... I will have to check the Fiat modification rule book and see if doing it right the first time is allowed. It is certainly a different approach! :D

Good luck with your project Mezz.

Back