POLL NOW WORKING! Federal and Achillies 185/60R-13 Tire Poll

Regarding your daily driving experience with Federal SS595 and/or Achilles 122 tires in 185/60R-13..

• I have Federal SS595 tires and I really like them a lot

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have Federal SS595 tires and they are pretty good

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I have Federal SS595 tires and they are just OK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have Federal SS595 tires and do not recommend them

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I have Federal SS595 tires and I had a big problem with them, stay away!!!

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I have Achilles 122 tires and I really like them a lot

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I have Achilles 122 tires and they are pretty good

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I have Achilles 122 tires and they are just OK

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I have Achilles 122 tires and do not recommend them

• I have Achilles 122 tires and had a big problem with them, stay away!!!

• Total voters

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
There are pretty much only two tires in 185/60R-13 size that are generally available in the USA, Federal SS595 and Achilles 122 for daily driving.

Here's a poll soliciting your experience with them.

I have set the poll two allow you two responses just in case you have had both brands and care to weigh in on both.

Note: Poll was not working for a vast majority of viewers when put up; but as of 8/25/17 it has been fixed by Mods.

Last edited:
I can't seem to respond to your poll.... However, I have the Achilles and they are just OK... When I first got them I had lots of vibration in my steering wheel. After about 500 miles of driving the tires became more round and are now pretty smooth. The traction is average for a street tire but the sidewalls are unusually soft... I did order a set of the Federal tires from Walmart but have not installed them yet... My guess is they will have better traction...

I tried and did not see any radio buttons or check boxes to click but I thought it might be because I am the author of the poll and might not be allowed to vote in it. If you are not seeing any check boxes or radio buttons, maybe there is something else going on.

As far as I can tell there's nothing else for me to set or check to get it functional...tried it out in Chrome and Edge....might be a limit to how many choices can be set and I exceeded it, but did not receive an error message when setting it up....maybe an admin can help out? I reported myself to get their attention :)

Last edited:
My Federals should be in to Walmart this week, but until I get my transmission sorted out, the brakes redone and suspension back together, I won't be able to vote. Thanks for putting this together. Will be interesting to see the results.

Dan,

I see the check boxes and it let me vote. It seems I am the only vote so far. Maybe someone fixed it just before I got here????

I have the Federals mounted but haven't driven on them yet. They balanced fine so I assume they will be OK. I love the looks of them but the rubber is very soft so I don't expect them to last very long.

By the way, I do not see the radio buttons either. I'm using Chrome so maybe it only works with other browsers...?

I am using Chrome and it seems to work for me, at least I can still see my lone vote tallied. Has anyone besides me successfully voted??

BTW. I have the Achilles 122 on my 124 sedan and I mounted/balanced them in my garage with HF tools. They run smooth and true.

I am using Chrome and it seems to work for me, at least I can still see my lone vote tallied. Has anyone besides me successfully voted??

BTW. I have the Achilles 122 on my 124 sedan and I mounted/balanced them in my garage with HF tools. They run smooth and true.

I tried with Chrome, Edge and Internet Explorer, signed in or signed out, cannot see check boxes and/or radio buttons.

Picked up the iPad and tried with Chrome and Safari, still bupkis.

Weird. It works great for me! ;)

Well maybe being a mod makes a difference. I see an edit button, so I clicked it. I didn't change anything, but hit "save changes" anyway. Did that do anything? There is a "reset all votes button" too, but I didn't click it.

I can even change my vote in Chrome, so it seems good for me in Chrome. I went to Firefox and did not log in, just when to the Poll in DF. I didn't see any check boxes. So then I logged in to may account, still no check boxes, but I clicked the "change your vote" button and the poll re-displayed with the check boxes and allowed me to re-vote. When I saved my new vote the check boxes went away again. I think this is eclipse related. :D:p:cool:

In Internet Explorer I don't see check boxes unless I click "change your vote". I am thinking I no longer see check boxes in the main thread because it knows I have already voted. Once I click "change" they reappear. We may need Mark to look into this.

Safari on iPad. No boxes present. I've got the Achilles 185/60 on my car. They rate somewhere between just ok to good. They certainly aren't a set of A008RS2s. Those Yokos were the most wicket set of tires I ever had on that car. I could pull off maneuvers in the twisties that made it feel like I was in that NASA G-tester.

In Internet Explorer I don't see check boxes unless I click "change your vote". I am thinking I no longer see check boxes in the main thread because it knows I have already voted. Once I click "change" they reappear. We may need Mark to look into this.
I don't see any check boxes, logged in or not, in Opera, Vivaldi, Chrome or Firefox. This is all under Windows 7.

I have Federals on my 1986 Bertone X1/9 and I am very happy with them. They are round and true and I hope that they stay that way. I bought the car last year and they were newly installed on the car by the previous owner before I bought the car. For what it is worth, I am not able to vote and that is why I am stating my response in this reply. I am using chrome for my browser.

I installed Federal SS595 185-60-13's on my 128sl coupe early last year. Car now drives over 70mph smoothly.

I think they're great tires. Sorry I missed out when Tires-easy had the 205-60-13's for sale. I have a set of 13x7's to put some tires on, but not at Toyo prices.

I also couldn't vote trying several different browsers.

I have Federals on my X and they are fine, up to 80 mph so far with no imbalance issues.

Sounds like Federal got their act together and fixed the out of round problem. They are certainly better looking (more aggressive) tired than than the Achilles.

Ed

I have four sets of the Federal SS595s. Two sets of 185/60-13, one 185/55-14 and one 195/60-14 (on my 124). No issues with any of them.
The 185/55-14s have a very square cross-section compared to the 60 series. They handle the best.

Back