Need a recognized source for ACVs (actual cash values) for X1/9s

7982X

So much fun it MUST be illegal!
Does anyone out there know of a good, authoritative, recognized source for ACVs for X1/9s that can be used for insurance claims? We have given them the Hagerty website page for our specific year and have referenced MWB's website as being well qualified in these cars (as well as having a number of sold Xs shown on their site), but the insurance company does not seem to be listening. They had their own appraiser come out & look at the car (after we had our local shop quote repair) & we gave him the same information that we gave the insurance company, including photos of the car before the damage occurred showing the condition). He ended up turning it back to the insurance company, saying that it was impossible to determine an ACV for settling a claim. The indications are that they are planning to total it as they can't determine a value. In the mean time, we wait............
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

And ebay, what about KBB? They have had inflated prices in there for a while

Sadly this is liklely not relavent to the main topic, but getting an appraisal of a vehicle (especailly after restoration) would be money ahead, that way if there is ever a loss, you have a value to negotiate with.

Thanks for all your replies! I will post some photos , hopefully tomorrow, after resizing them. The car was damaged while on a transporter (we just purchased it ....posted on the forum), rear ended by another semi (within shouting distance of MWB).
Sources.....bring a trailer "sold values" seemed to be mostly pretty low, so glad that we didn't submit those to the insurance company. KBB only goes back to 1992, so no go there. Auto Trader had no X1/9s of any year, any location, any price.
The second appraiser apparently DID submit something to the insurance company (even though he told our body shop differently) and we actually got an email from the insurance company this morning. It appears to say that they will pay to fix it and not total it, for an amount higher than our shop's estimate, and that the check was already on it's way. It even said that if there are any surprises, not initially seen, they would pay for that also........kind of a 180 from their position last week. WEIRD! I can only think that the info & photos we gave them made a difference, even though they didn't seem to listen at the time. We'll believe it when we see the check.
Now, the car......it runs great, handles fine, is really tight for a 36 year old car, and more fun than I remembered my last one to be. We think that we can get it back to excellent condition. Our body guy has done work for us on various vehicles over the last 17 years and we're happy with his work.
I will try to post photos tomorrow. The transport issue will appear in another thread.
Thanks again!

Thanks for all your replies! I will post some photos , hopefully tomorrow, after resizing them. The car was damaged while on a transporter (we just purchased it ....posted on the forum), rear ended by another semi (within shouting distance of MWB).
Sources.....bring a trailer "sold values" seemed to be mostly pretty low, so glad that we didn't submit those to the insurance company. KBB only goes back to 1992, so no go there. Auto Trader had no X1/9s of any year, any location, any price.
The second appraiser apparently DID submit something to the insurance company (even though he told our body shop differently) and we actually got an email from the insurance company this morning. It appears to say that they will pay to fix it and not total it, for an amount higher than our shop's estimate, and that the check was already on it's way. It even said that if there are any surprises, not initially seen, they would pay for that also........kind of a 180 from their position last week. WEIRD! I can only think that the info & photos we gave them made a difference, even though they didn't seem to listen at the time. We'll believe it when we see the check.
Now, the car......it runs great, handles fine, is really tight for a 36 year old car, and more fun than I remembered my last one to be. We think that we can get it back to excellent condition. Our body guy has done work for us on various vehicles over the last 17 years and we're happy with his work.
I will try to post photos tomorrow. The transport issue will appear in another thread.
Thanks again!

Would it help to know the "agreed value" that forum members have arranged for their cars with insurance companies that do agreed value policies? I know that agreed value and actual cash value are two different animals, but agreed value has to bear some relationship to reality---the agreed value insurance company would not want to take the risk of insuring a car for 2, 3, or 4 times the ACV for the mere pittance of an extra $25 or $50 a year in premium.

Yes, agreed value numbers would be of interest, going forward after the car is restored. We had the car insured before it went on the transport, but have tried to keep our insurance out of it as there are 2 other insurance companies that are first in line to take care of it and we think that we have a better chance arguing the case with them as their "clients" are at fault. If we have our insurance company subrogate the claim, we lose some control over what they settle for. We keep them as a last resort.
Promised photos attached......a couple notes 1. notice the "cattle guard" (battering ram) on the semi that rear ended the transporter. 2. notice that the red car that was pushed into our X, which shoved it under the black SUV is hanging off the back of the trailer, even after being hit hard from behind, hence acting as a "bumper" to absorb most of the impact instead of their trailer. I guess you pay for the privilege of protecting their trailer. 3. notice the buckle in the side of the trailer. Not sure if that happened in this accident as we didn't see the trailer before then. 4. Photos #1&2 show the car after it was loaded onto the first trailer, to be taken the to the point where it was loaded onto the semi trailer.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 96
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 105
Ouch. Dang that sucks.

My X’s are ACV insured for 6500 and 8500 at the moment with my classic insurance provider. Likely to increase that on the 87 when I finish working on it as getting another like it will be a lot harder and more expensive.

Sorry about the damage. That's a bummer... But if you've had good experiences with the body shop you're using, I expect they'll do this job well, too.

Regarding the ACTUAL cash value of the car, I really think it is well established in your post, right here:

... (we just purchased it ....posted on the forum)...

That's an honest value placed on it in the open market. It was offered for sale, you and the seller agreed on a price, and the transaction was completed. I hope the insurance company is cooperative.

-Brian

Ouch - that's painful to view. Especially since your car looks exactly like the '83 I restored! I've got both my X's, an NSX and a vintage Yamaha motorcycle insured through AMIG. There prices for collector cars are incredibly low (I think $48 a year for the 83 X and that's with max coverage). They offer an "agreed value" policy. You pay for the value you agree upon. In the case of my 83 X I think the agreed value is $8,000.

Ed

Sorry for your loss. I hope you can find a suitible and favorable resolution. Not sure if it helps your cause, but I have an agreed value of $25,500 through American Collector Car. Full coverage on everything and every scenario. Was like $184 for the year.

It appears at this time that we are moving in the right direction. As the body shop gets into the project we will see if there are any surprises. Not sure if we will try to salvage the custom look of the front end or return to a more stock look. We have reacquired an 82 body that we sold a couple of years ago for parts/panels, so we have options. The input in this thread has given us ideas for insurance, moving forward. We obviously need to do something other than regular insurance & we will check into it. We were lucky this time around (them willing to pay to fix the car).
Thanks again for all the suggestions & ideas!

Sorry for your loss. I hope you can find a suitible and favorable resolution. Not sure if it helps your cause, but I have an agreed value of $25,500 through American Collector Car. Full coverage on everything and every scenario. Was like $184 for the year.

I may need to adjust my coverage a bit higher, with that kind of coverage with a loss I could replace mine with a K20 version...kidding

Insurance check actually got here today, just like they said, for the amount of their appraisal, which was higher than ours. Already have an appointment for the car to go into the shop next Monday. After expecting to have to fight this one, I am surprised to have a check in less than 4 weeks. Will try to post photos of the finished product. Thanks again!

Sounds like a happy ending is in store! My question: How does a big rig run into a big rig? They are always going the same speed when in a row. Maybe texting was involved and that's why the sudden change by the insurance company?

Not sure of contributing factors. We got a copy of the accident report from the Columbus police dept. because the driver of the rig carrying our car said that the driver that hit them said that his trailer brakes weren't working, but neither that nor anything else showed up in the report. It happened during rush hour in stop & go traffic. "Our" truck was stopped and the other one ran into them at 10 MPH (?). Not even sure that 10 MPH would do that much damage to the cars & trailer. Our driver even sent us video of the aftermath, and I'm sure that they sent that to the insurance company as well. Maybe that contributed to the insurance company turning around.

Insurance check actually got here today, just like they said, for the amount of their appraisal, which was higher than ours. Already have an appointment for the car to go into the shop next Monday. After expecting to have to fight this one, I am surprised to have a check in less than 4 weeks. Will try to post photos of the finished product. Thanks again!

Good deal! And good luck with the repairs. :)

Back