Scorpion # 253 project

IMG_4442.JPG
IMG_4450.JPG

Decided to look under the carpet! found a lot more work....

Looks pretty solid though. Is the 'black' surface in the 'after' picture a result of a rust treatment/converter product?
Gotta love having free child labor to do this kind of work. ;) But seriously I think this is a great program for the students, sure wish there was something like it when I was a kid.
Going back a couple posts, I like how the suspension looks from the underside view.

update, Have been working on rust removal in the floor boards no penetration, all surface rust, and also fabricating a mount for the aluminum fuel cell in the "frunk" pictures soon

Did you have to do any reinforcement to the front suspension points in the trunk floor? I have some stress cracking on mine I need to attend to. Nice work on the cell frame.

Did you have to do any reinforcement to the front suspension points in the trunk floor? I have some stress cracking on mine I need to attend to. Nice work on the cell frame.
yes there is stress cracking on both sides. the car was bottomed out very hard at one point, Which i figured caused a lot of the issue. i will show pictures of that tomorrow. I am building reinforcement plates and welding the cracks and broken spot welds.

On Lancisti there is an extensive how to for the floor reinforcement. QUite a lot of work but needed apparently.

Where, specifically, should I be looking for this stress cracking in my car? Along the edges of the trunk floor?

Progress is being made, I have been removing floorboard rust, oh yea, teaching....

Here is a mock up of the battery mounting
IMG_4619.JPG

cut out rusted battery tray and fabricated a new one, this pic is from below
IMG_4631.JPG

had to remove one of the sail panels and the engine lid to get the rear window out. the small amount of original sealant was really stuck, Too bad the rest wasn't. So after many hours of cutting with a razor knife, the window is out so i can sand the area and use por15 there
IMG_4621.JPG

Nice dimpling on the battery holder, what's the reason why you moved its location -centralizing mass within the wheelbase, storage area, etc?

exactly, i wanted to center the mass and get it off the corner. Nothing good happens when weight is that far outside the wheelbase. I wish I could take credit for the dimpling, but I ordered the box off evilbay... LOL

Last edited:
made some progress today on what was the old battery box. now just a flat area for stuff....
IMG_4655.JPG

IMG_4654.JPG

IMG_4653.JPG

IMG_4651.JPG

Have you considered an inertia switch for the fuel pumps? I am going to install one on my project. I learned about them doing my Mustang 5.0 V8 swap into my Volvo 780 coupe. Neat switch and a nice bit of peace of mind.

Also you've reminded me to get some Kleecos, thanks!

Have you considered an inertia switch for the fuel pumps? I am going to install one on my project. I learned about them doing my Mustang 5.0 V8 swap into my Volvo 780 coupe. Neat switch and a nice bit of peace of mind.

Also you've reminded me to get some Kleecos, thanks!

I have not thought about the inertia switch, But I was planning to use a oil pressure switch to cut off the fuel pumps in case the oil pressure drops to under 5 lbs, generally that means the engine is not running.

best place i have found for them is amazon, bought 100 for 30.50 including shipping www.amazon.com/16-Cleco-Sheet-Fasteners-K2S50-3/dp/B06WVBDVY6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1512305891&sr=8-8&keywords=clecos+3%2F16

removed the under coating. found all of the rust in the floor boards. Actually not much all things considered. Now i will make a patch panel for the drivers side. Sand and paint the entire under side with POR15 semigloss black. Then make provisions for the flat bottom that i have in works.
IMG_4745.JPG

IMG_4748.JPG
IMG_4750.JPG

IMG_4746.JPG

Back