Adding a oil pressure gauge

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
I'm looking to add a aftermarket oil pressure gauge to my X that only has the warning light.

To attach the pressure sensor (sender) for the gauge there could be a couple options:
1) Piggy-back off the current light sensor/switch.
2) Use another port on the block.
3) ?? Any other options?

For option #1. I know there are "T" fittings that might be used but not certain how well they work on this particular application (in terms of getting an accurate reading from this attachment on the X's engine). They look something like these (some seem better than others):
stock-oil-pres-fitting-adapter-md161392-02-400l.jpg

070.033.JPG

download (1).jpg

For option #2, I saw a photo of another member's engine (sorry I don't know who's) with a pressure sensor located on the block here:
1k0.jpg

On my block in that area I see the unused hole that can be seen just ABOVE the sensor in that photo. Below it is a raised round boss with no hole. And below that is a second unused hole. With the engine currently in the car it is difficult to see if either of the unused holes are threaded, but they do not appear to be plugged (again, very difficult to see). So I have to assume neither of them is good for mounting the sensor? Is the raised, untapped area between those holes where the pressure sensor is mounted on the engine in the photo? And if so, is it a matter of drilling and tapping a hole there, or otherwise?

Option #3...any better ideas?
Thanks.

Thanks. Is it the yellow one or the red one? If this is located where I am thinking, I believe there is another hole just above these two? On mine there is no port where the yellow circle is, just a raised solid iron boss sticking out from the block. I'll try to get better access and take a picture tomorrow.
X19_0528.jpg

The yellow one. When I looked at it, it did not look like there was a port or plug in that location. It was only after scraping off the metal tape that covered it, that it became apparent that there was a threaded port. This is on my 87 block, even though that port hasn't been used for OP for many years at that point, so if yours is similar age or older, I would expect the port is there.

Excellent news, thanks. Mine is a '79 so no telling...its a very bastard year for lots of oddities. But I'll check closer.

I use a T fitting, it's just a pressure situation, much like brake lines and I see no reason why a "T" would not be perfectly adequate. But some guys just like to mess with things and look for different situations. So obviously we want you to go down that road so we can learn from your mista......err....victories.

It occurred to me I have two styles of Bosch oil pressure senders; single terminal versions for a gauge only, and two terminal ones that feed both the warning light and a gauge. The second type allows the Bosch sender to replace the stock one, so no adapters or extra ports are needed. I'll have to check the thread size and pitch however; they were intended for a German car with standard fittings, unlike the odd-ball fine thread Fiat likes to use for everything. Also they come in different pressure values for both the gauge portion and the warning light portion.

Yes, I looked into this also, very elegant solution.
The Bosch sensors come with different threads, you need M14x1.5.
The sensors come in diiferent pressure ranges, e.g. 0-5 bar and 0-10 bar.
So make sure gauge and sensor match.

I wanted to use the Bosch sensor with the stock Fiat 1300 oil pressure gauge, these aren't compatible unfortunately.

Thanks Ulix. First I must correct myself, they are VDO sensors and gauges, not Bosch...sorry for the confusion. But basically the same as you describe. [And actually Bosch and VDO are under the same parent corporation these days.]

I am adding a VDO oil pressure gauge because my X does not have a factory gauge, only the warning light. I have VDO gauges and sensors in both 5 bar and 10 bar, and as you say they must mate together. And the pressure value for the sensor to trigger the warning light really does not matter, so long as it is at a comfortable level to you. But the warning light does not know the difference, it will respond to whatever pressure the sensor triggers at.

The question will be if the VDO sensors I have are the correct thread. As Ulix said they are available in several thread sizes but all of mine are for common German applications, so I will need to check if they are the correct size for the Fiat. Thank you for posting it as (M14 x 1.5). By the way I noticed in my part supplier's listings there are more than one thread size for X1/9 sensors (at the moment I can't remember if it was the oil or temp sensor or both)...but interesting.

I also have VDO gauges and sensors for oil temperature and coolant temperature. Once again, not sure if the sensors I have are the correct thread for the Fiat block. But I would like to add all three gauges as a set (oil press and temp and coolant temp). The VDO coolant temp readings would be more accurate than the Fiat factory gauge, and having oil temp will be a good way to monitor things.

This brings up another item that I plan to do. I have a oil cooler I want to install. Interestingly, given how much concern there is on engine temperature, I have not seen much discussion on oil coolers. A lot of emphasis on bigger coolant radiators, water pumps, thermostats, etc but little on oil cooling. I'll have to source an adapter for the oil filter to tap off the oil cooler lines. However this will also provide a place for the oil temp sensor (best location to read temp as the oil exits the block).

Volvo (Wähler ?) Oil cooler t/stat housings from the 80's/90's are cheap as dirt. They don't go bad. T/stat opens around 200ºF. I use the short filter sold for Volvo 240's. I still need to move my oil temp sender to that housing. As you said, it's much more accurate than down in the pan where I have it now

X19_0453.jpg

Straight thread 2-pole VDO sensor with crush seal. Mine feeds gauge & idiot light. The only problem with VDO sender and Fiat gauge is that it reads backwards, so I made a reverse face plate for the OP gauge. Tight fit near my rigid heater hose return line.

X19_0006d.jpg

Dom,
very elegant!
I have never seen that, I wonder if it is still available.

I'm not sure whether they are still available, but for sure you could make something similar with a block of aluminium and a screw in nipple.

Cheers,
Dom.

I'm looking to add a aftermarket oil pressure gauge to my X that only has the warning light.

To attach the pressure sensor (sender) for the gauge there could be a couple options:
1) Piggy-back off the current light sensor/switch.
2) Use another port on the block.
3) ?? Any other options?

For option #1. I know there are "T" fittings that might be used but not certain how well they work on this particular application (in terms of getting an accurate reading from this attachment on the X's engine). They look something like these (some seem better than others):

This one from an 850 is what I have. Works well, has all the right threads for the sender for the 1300 oil pressure gage, but there's not a whole lot of space to mount things there.
http://www.vickauto.com/newstore/in...ucts_id=3985&zenid=ivb1u7u48eitn52bqtgknaj6b4

I like opening up the extra port, I had no idea that was even possible.

Yep. $14.20 for the whole shebang. I think I've bought six of the gauge senders because the ones on my cars all read low.

Yep. $14.20 for the whole shebang. I think I've bought six of the gauge senders because the ones on my cars all read low.
Hmmm, I don't want to be a pessimist, but could it be that the engine oil pressure actually is LOW??

cheers, IanL - NZ

No, I checked with a precision mechanical gauge. The Fiat gauges are infamous for reading low with age.
IMG_0620.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0035.PNG
    IMG_0035.PNG
    976 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
It was only after scraping off the metal tape that covered it, that it became apparent that there was a threaded port.
Had a chance to get a really good look and clean things up. Definitely no threaded port down on the corner of my '79 block. The casting is solid, no tape covering anything.

Unfortunately all of the VDO senders that I have are the wrong size/thread for any of the existing ports. But if I add a remote oil cooler feeding off the oil filter mount, then I should be able to add something there. Otherwise I'll do the piggy-back adapter thing.

Back