500e

Nice

I have considered one several times as I drive about 28 miles a day normally to and from work.

The 136 hours to recharge seems a bit off putting though as I don’t think I want to run 240 to the garage as my power comes into the other end of the house

Nice

I have considered one several times as I drive about 28 miles a day normally to and from work.

The 136 hours to recharge seems a bit off putting though as I don’t think I want to run 240 to the garage as my power comes into the other end of the house
With my driving, I average in excess of 4 miles / kWh, so your daily commute would only be about 7 kWh. That should be just about 5 hr of charging pr day with the included 110 V charger.

We have free 6 kW chargers at work, so I don't charge at home much.

I think we have a few charge spots but am not sure. I should look into this a bit more. Thanks!

I just want to tell everyone that I bought a 2015 Fiat 500e in January of this year (2017). It had 16,000 miles on it when I bought it and now it has just over 32,0000 miles. No problems at all so far with the car. I just bought new tires however as the original Firestones that come with the car wear out very fast. I bought Bridgestone Ecopia Plus tires as a replacement and I hope that they give me more life than the original tires. The Bridgestones have better traction for sure and if they last longer than the Firestones then I will be happy.

My wife and I drive this car when we have local commutes that are within the range of the car's capability and for 80% of our driving this car is just perfect for both the range and it's size. We both love driving the car and the fact that it is the best buy of any car out there and it is extremely cheap to run and costs almost nothing to maintain is a bonus that I can easily deal with. In town acceleration is great due to the torque of the electric motor. It is fun to see the shock on people's faces when they get blown away by a crappy little Fiat 500 sprinting ahead of them from a stop light and not being able to catch up. Most people have no idea that the car is electric they only think that they know that Fiats are shity cars. I am glad that I know otherwise!

I know this is an older thread, but that figure of 136 hours to charge on a 115 Vac input is wrong (the algorithm that computes it is going nuts). Even at a 1000 watts, a power level lower than some hair dryers, a 24 kWh battery (the 500e's battery size) will only take 24 hours to charge.

The 2015 I picked up a few weeks back is doing wonderfully. Over 900 miles without a penny going to some oil company executive. My level 2 charger should be installed in a few weeks, giving me a full recharge in less than four hours. But right now the 115 vac works just fine while I'm sleeping, topping it off by morning.

Last edited:
IMG_0507.jpg
By the way, this is the best level'of charge/range I've been able to achieve

I know this is an older thread, but that figure of 136 hours to charge on a 115 Vac input is wrong (the algorithm that computes it is going nuts). Even at a 1000 watts, a power level lower than some hair dryers, a 24 kWh battery (the 500e's battery size) will only take 24 hours to charge

If things get weird with the charging system try disconnecting the 12v battery for a bit. I have had my e a little over a year now and it's been great! A couple of weeks ago I jumped in to go home for lunch and the dash told me I had zero charge and I needed to have my battery system checked. I turned the key on and off several times and eventually it acknowledged the charge, but still had the check engine light.

I managed to limp it home (just over 3 miles) without incident. I disconnected the 12v battery, but it on a charger, and left the car overnight. The next day I connected the 12v battery and all was well. No re-occurrence of any issues. I guess it's like a hard reboot to the computers.

Anyway something to keep in mind.

Still loving my e!

Morgan had to have the 12v battery replaced the day after she purchased her car. She was getting error messages on the display. A google search showed this is a common fault when the 12v battery is going bad.

Fortunately her car is still under warranty, but it's not the first time a new Fiat was towed away in the first 24 hours of ownership in my family. My X1/9s headgasket failed the day after I drove it home from the dealer back in 1979. I had to wait three weeks to get my car back. Lucky for her, she got her car back the next day.

Entropy has a way of making itself known. Last night I had a quick flash of Turtle mode on my display. Then it went away and the car continued to operate manually. I guess it's time to replace the 12v battery.
I do still need to have the most recent recall performed, this is an issue that can cause the main battery to be discharged completely due to it trying to charge the 12v battery. My closest authorized Service Center is about 100 miles away. So Far FCA has been good about arranging transport for my vehicle to and from the dealer for recall work. Hopefully the local dealership will eventually get a service tech authorized to work on the EV.

My closest authorized Service Center is about 100 miles away. So Far FCA has been good about arranging transport for my vehicle to and from the dealer for recall work. Hopefully the local dealership will eventually get a service tech authorized to work on the EV.

So is that Redding or Eugene? I'm surprised that Lithia doesn't have have a trained mechanic in the Medford area.

Roseburg actually, and yes, I am surprised too, I am pretty sure they have a Nissan tech as the sell a lot of Leafs. As far as I know there are only 2 500es here in Medford.

Just in case anybody cares, I currently have 58,000 trouble free mile on my 2015 Fiat 500e Sport. So far this is definitely one of the best cars that I have ever owned! An absolute joy to drive, cheap to buy (second hand!) and very cheap to run and maintain. What more could you ask for?

George

So...now my 2015 Fiat 500e has 77,000 trouble free miles on it! This car is amazing. Not a single problem with the car yet (I better not talk so loud;)).

I want to tell others who own a Fiat 500e that I have my third set of tires on the car now and I think that this third set of tires that are on the car right now can be highly recommended to anyone who is looking for replacement tires soon. The second set of tires that replaced the original Firestone's where Bridgestone Ecopia's and it turned out that they didn't last any longer than the Firestones. I was pretty bummed out about how fast the Bridgestones wore out. When I went to get the third set of tires to replace the Bridgestones the guy working at the Discount Tire store highly recommended that I try a set of Yokohama Avid Ascend GT tires. These Yokohama's are absolutely fantastic! I like them so much that Yokohama has become my personal favorite tire brand and I will be buying more tires from them in the future anytime one of my vehicles need replacement tires.

George

A few of these have migrated to my area, I have been considering getting one to serve as my commuter car (13 miles each way) with some minor around town. Winter is my big worry and the difficulty of getting 220v to my garage due to the way my house was built to have a decent charge time.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have generally liked the Yoko’s I have bought. One set I bought for my Toyota van didn’t do as well as I would have liked but in general the others have been good tires. Miss my A509s to this day.

A quick update. I recently replaced my failed door check stop with one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Door...gg5Ii4fUwP7RoVmLQ955O%2BAgBlP3SQn5sEftwIOolc1

This aftermarket part is made by a company in Turkey and so far it is performing really good. The detent stops are very positive and hold the door open properly on slopes. The OEM part failed twice on me so I hope that this one will stand up to the test of time. The design is much simpler and stronger than the OEM part so I feel that it will last.

For the record, this is the only repair that I have done on this car and it now has just over 80,000 miles. I am very happy with this car and I believe it is the best car that I have ever owned. I really wish that Fiat would bring over the all new Fiat 500e as it looks very nice!

Cheers, George

Had ours since 2013.. The first one got totalled by a random chunk of concrete on the freeway.. we got a 2015 and swapped our lowering springs, wheels, "gascap" and vinyl on the new one and it's been trouble free for the whole time😁

Attachments

• IMG_20151107_120106_976.jpg
    IMG_20151107_120106_976.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 150
Here's my Electric 500 next to an Abarth! Whose is lower and more aggressive?

Attachments

• IMG_20150309_175119_443~2.jpg
    IMG_20150309_175119_443~2.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 152
Just an EV update. Now at 68.8K miles. Flawless reliability. I’ve been meticulously recording battery percentage vs range, using two A to B points going to work and two similar ones coming back in the other direction. Averaging them out, I see no discernible battery degradation. Really wish the second generation 500e was coming to North America.

Just an EV update. Now at 68.8K miles. Flawless reliability. I’ve been meticulously recording battery percentage vs range, using two A to B points going to work and two similar ones coming back in the other direction. Averaging them out, I see no discernible battery degradation. Really wish the second generation 500e was coming to North America.
Me too.

Back