K20 Build at Midwest

OK, I'll be the one to ask.....how much did it cost?

I will guess. At the Nashville FFO Matt had Pete Whitestone's X there with the K20 engine. Price range was between $18K to $20K. There is a lot of work to be done in a swap, Matt knows this one very well so some time will be shaved off from the first Swap. Now this car came from Canada, so expect another 28% exchange on the dollar. The price gets up there, but when you really want it and it runs great, I think it is worth the investment.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Looks absolutely fabulous. This now has to be the best X19 in Canada. Hope I get to see it one day. Well done to the team at MWB.

I guess the price range could vary a lot. Fitting a K20 in a good running car and complete restoration with some modifications are different things. From 10 000$ to high 30K...

You are not going to get a K20 put in an X1/9 for anywhere near 10k. Just sayin... ;)

Pete
You have that right Pete. My swap ( Abarth engine) in materials cost about 10K and the car was restored prior to that. There is a lot of work just taking a car apart, repairing what is required and then looking at all of those parts that need something done to them. So labour is worth something when you are in the business of working on cars. At the very least, another 8K but I think that is a low figure. Added to the strength of the US dollar against the Canadian dollar like I said another 28% will have to be added.

On a side note a little over a year ago they US stock market led the Canadian stock market by 2000 points, then Donald Trump got voted into the picture, the result, your market leads the Canadian market by 8500 points. Say what you want about Trump, investors are putting money into the US market. Canada has increased interest rates and that helped our dollar a bit, but it slid when we entered into the realm of Carbon tax, Green Energy, environmental regulation and higher taxes. Clearly the US is the place to invest your dollars. This hurts us with the US dollar being so strong when buying from the USA and it is a hard number to swallow when quoted in US dollars knowing that currently another 30% has to be added to that number.

Anyway, a very nice X1/9 now lives in Canada and hoping to see it up close when time permits.

Well done Matt and Braydon.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

You have that right Pete. My swap ( Abarth engine) in materials cost about 10K and the car was restored prior to that. There is a lot of work just taking a car apart, repairing what is required and then looking at all of those parts that need something done to them. So labour is worth something when you are in the business of working on cars. At the very least, another 8K but I think that is a low figure. Added to the strength of the US dollar against the Canadian dollar like I said another 28% will have to be added.

On a side note a little over a year ago they US stock market led the Canadian stock market by 2000 points, then Donald Trump got voted into the picture, the result, your market leads the Canadian market by 8500 points. Say what you want about Trump, investors are putting money into the US market. Canada has increased interest rates and that helped our dollar a bit, but it slid when we entered into the realm of Carbon tax, Green Energy, environmental regulation and higher taxes. Clearly the US is the place to invest your dollars. This hurts us with the US dollar being so strong when buying from the USA and it is a hard number to swallow when quoted in US dollars knowing that currently another 30% has to be added to that number.

Anyway, a very nice X1/9 now lives in Canada and hoping to see it up close when time permits.

Well done Matt and Braydon.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Just the $ of all the "extra" stuff I bought, broke, re-bought or didn't even use makes me cringe...

Still think the 1.5L 130hp Honda Fit engine is the way to go.

The L-series of engines are designed to be super compact engines to enable the design of short and small engine compartments in Honda's new 'global small platform' or their 'small max' series of subcompact designs. External dimension wise, the L-series is some 118mm or over 4.5 inch 'thinner' and 69mm or over 2.7inch shorter (including gearbox) as compared to the 'conventional 1.5l VTEC' D-series engine. The thinner engine profile is most crucial as the L-series are transversely mounted and so its 'thickness' directly impacts the depth of the engine bay. Actually the difference in maximum thickness does not convey the true achievements made by Honda's engineers with the L-series. The comparison of the actual engine profiles, between the D-series and the L-series on the right shows how much narrower the L-series is overall. The L-series weighs some 10% lighter than the D-series.
http://asia.vtec.net/Series/FitJazz/lseries/index.html

Nice video:

Last edited:
Interesting info about the Fit engine. The video was kind of interesting but it was really hard to get past the constant headbanger music. Thanks for sharing.

Hey, Smaugz. We are in summer now and you can now take the K20 X out. So, what are your final thoughts and analysis on the K20 swap now that you had a chance to thoroughly drive the car. Pics? Videos? I'm sure MWB and other X fans here would enjoy hearing the results. Thanks.

20180621_123845 (Medium).jpg
Hey, Smaugz. We are in summer now and you can now take the K20 X out. So, what are your final thoughts and analysis on the K20 swap now that you had a chance to thoroughly drive the car. Pics? Videos? I'm sure MWB and other X fans here would enjoy hearing the results. Thanks.
Hey RJH
I arrived in in Columbus Tuesday around noon in anticipation of the Midwest Bayless Open House. I came down early to have the car looked at before the Open House. Brayden and Matt have been very helpful with the car. The car is all I thought it would be. With the suspension change and engine swap you don't lose a thing but gain everything. The car still corners like it's on rails, one just has to be careful not to apply full power starting a corner, LOL.The thrill that is felt when you leave the line as the car powers up and the v-tec starts to sing sets a this car into a new league. In reality the car was a little scary to drive at first until I got used to controlling that much power. The Wilwood brakes can handle the power and have no problem stopping the car. That said I still believe in a little overkill and will be eventually replacing the rotors with 10 inch version but keeping the Wilwood adjustable calipers that Brayden installed because the Master Brake cylinder cannot really handle bigger calipers without a power booster. Had to do a modification on the exhaust as we tried something new with self supporting but found it did not work as well as we thought. Just a note, 0 to 60 in 4.9 sec. That is a rough time with my buddy Dan in the passenger seat with the clock, I will be going to a track day later in the summer for confirmation. Here is a short video of the K20 with my oldest son learning to drive a stick for the first time.

I have never regretted putting the K20 in as I have always believed if Fiat had of designed a more powerful motor with a matching transmission and fixed the electrical issues this car would still be on the market today. It was truly underpowered and they never really pushed the car ad wise on the market. I remember in 1979 drivng my brand new Silver X1/9 off the lot thinking wow 78hp, 10 more than my 74.Yes maybe a little overkill with the amount of power in the K20 but this is as close to a super car (balance of handling to power) as I will ever own. Oh, and on the power note Brayden has found a supercharger that looks like it will fit his K20. Can you say maybe 300hp. Where is Tim Allen when you need to hear that grunt. Lmao

View attachment 12246
Hey RJH
I arrived in in Columbus Tuesday around noon in anticipation of the Midwest Bayless Open House. I came down early to have the car looked at before the Open House. Brayden and Matt have been very helpful with the car. The car is all I thought it would be. With the suspension change and engine swap you don't lose a thing but gain everything. The car still corners like it's on rails, one just has to be careful not to apply full power starting a corner, LOL.The thrill that is felt when you leave the line as the car powers up and the v-tec starts to sing sets a this car into a new league. In reality the car was a little scary to drive at first until I got used to controlling that much power. The Wilwood brakes can handle the power and have no problem stopping the car. That said I still believe in a little overkill and will be eventually replacing the rotors with 10 inch version but keeping the Wilwood adjustable calipers that Brayden installed because the Master Brake cylinder cannot really handle bigger calipers without a power booster. Had to do a modification on the exhaust as we tried something new with self supporting but found it did not work as well as we thought. Just a note, 0 to 60 in 4.9 sec. That is a rough time with my buddy Dan in the passenger seat with the clock, I will be going to a track day later in the summer for confirmation. Here is a short video of the K20 with my oldest son learning to drive a stick for the first time.

I have never regretted putting the K20 in as I have always believed if Fiat had of designed a more powerful motor with a matching transmission and fixed the electrical issues this car would still be on the market today. It was truly underpowered and they never really pushed the car ad wise on the market. I remember in 1979 drivng my brand new Silver X1/9 off the lot thinking wow 78hp, 10 more than my 74.Yes maybe a little overkill with the amount of power in the K20 but this is as close to a super car (balance of handling to power) as I will ever own. Oh, and on the power note Brayden has found a supercharger that looks like it will fit his K20. Can you say maybe 300hp. Where is Tim Allen when you need to hear that grunt. Lmao

I also think Fiat would have jumped at the chance to build a more powerful power plant for the X. If they had the tech we have today, I couldn't imagine what it would look like. I think Brayden's builds are by far the best. Love to see his k20 with some boost. 300 HP is easily had. Heck, it can be done with internals only upgrades, but easily reachable with a supercharger + stock k20 or k24.

"Yes maybe a little overkill with the amount of power in the K20 but this is as close to a super car (balance of handling to power) as I will ever own."

I will wade in here and agree with you. My Abarth powered X is not as fast as what you are claiming, but it is quick and handles very nicely. Having driven the Exotic Car Experience here in Canada, the Ferrari F230 and the Lambo Gallardo, although my X is smaller the feel and the acceleration is similar. The only thing missing is boosted brakes to complete the package. It is apparent that the X was under powered, but now that is no longer the case.

Nice looking build.

TonyK

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Last edited:
Note, if zero to sixty is measured at 4.9 seconds, consider the traction required to achieve this from chassis and suspension and tires. Put this much energy into most chassis and suspension from this same era as the exxe, majority of them will NOT be OK with this much power increase.

Beyond the power increase, if the suspension is properly set up, the exxe has a lot to offer as a driving experience.

This is the hidden unknown with the exxe that most have no clue about, except the moto media image and belief of the exxe is slow, crappy and not desirable. Market value and desirability is almost completely driven by brand identity and brand image, much lesser by actual content.

Bernice

View attachment 12246
Just a note, 0 to 60 in 4.9 sec. That is a rough time with my buddy Dan in the passenger seat with the clock, I will be going to a track day later in the summer for confirmation. Here is a short video of the K20 with my oldest son learning to drive a stick for the first time.

Note, if zero to sixty is measured at 4.9 seconds, consider the traction required to achieve this from chassis and suspension and tires. Put this much energy into most chassis and suspension from this same era as the exxe, majority of them will NOT be OK with this much power increase.

Beyond the power increase, if the suspension is properly set up, the exxe has a lot to offer as a driving experience.

This is the hidden unknown with the exxe that most have no clue about, except the moto media image and belief of the exxe is slow, crappy and not desirable. Market value and desirability is almost completely driven by brand identity and brand image, much lesser by actual content.

Bernice

Agree! My friend back in the late 80's had a kit to put a Buick v6 in his chevette. it was a blast as a smoke show but was pretty undrivable when you put the pedal down. He did autocross it once because he was there and the crowd wanted to see it. pretty much the slowest of the day, although it garnished the biggest cheers!

Odie

Back