Engine Assembly: oil pump & system

AKimball92

True Classic
I am rebuilding my engine slowly but surely and cannot recall exactly how it all came apart when some of my found pictures do not contain the needed details.

What is the oil drain pipe? And where near the main bearing No.5 does it go? As referred to in the Haynes manual: Chapter 1: section 26: line 3?

Also what is the ~15 mm hole in the block near the oil pump on the oil pan gasket surface?

Maybe a picture of the engine assembly without the pan would answer both?

Also what torque do you apply to the pump bolts for both the mounting bolts and the 3 bolts PIA the pump?

Thanks,
Andrew

I am sure I will have many more questions in the coming days.

Andrew, I can't answer your questions, sorry. But I seem to recall you are preparing a Uno Turbo conversion of some sort for your X? But I don't remember if it will be the complete UT engine swap or a turbo addition to your 1500. Is this the 1500 X block or a UT block you are asking about? I'm just curious because I am planning a UT turbo system install on my 1500 X engine and appreciate learning any details. Thanks

Andrew, I can't answer your questions, sorry. But I seem to recall you are preparing a Uno Turbo conversion of some sort for your X?

Jeff, unfortunately I'm not doing a Uno turbo build. I have the original 1300 block with high compression pistons, Euro 1500 head, and a hot street cam, bigger carb, and 4-2 exhaust manifold.

The only things I could find to install are the oil return (I believe) near main No.3 and the oil pump. Is there anything else under there besides the oil pain?

My mistake, must have confused it with another build.

I really don't know what should be under there. Seems like I read once on Xweb that there were some engines that had 2 oil return tubes, but I don't remember if that was from an X or another model...sorry. Others will be able to give you a good answer.

What is the oil drain pipe? And where near the main bearing No.5 does it go? As referred to in the Haynes manual: Chapter 1: section 26: line 3?

Also what is the ~15 mm hole in the block near the oil pump on the oil pan gasket surface?

I can't say about the oil drain pipe. I don't have he Haynes manual so I'm not sure what you are referring to. I can't remember ever dealing with anything oil related near the # 5 main. There is a tube used to vent the crankcase near #3 though.

The 15mm hole is a mystery. It's not used for anything. Probably there for factory assembly?

Andrew, does this belong here?

I did find the diagram below from the OEM manual. A few numbers I am uncertain about according to this diagram. If the rest of the engine were visible it might be more clear. I believe the part at main No. 5 would be number 30 on page 69 and number 12 on page 70 and number 2 on page 71. However I've never seen that part before. It is not clear on page 71 where exactly it plugs in. Was this part removed by 1978MY? What do these other numbers go to: 7, 9, and 38? I know I have 7 but not sure yet where it goes. I do not believe I've seen 30 before writing this. .

The factory diagrams can be misleading at times. Things aren't always positioned well nor referenced to one another functionally like most car makers do (e.g. a dotted line to show the orientation of two joining parts).

I agree with you about #30. That "oil return tube" seems to be on all 128 style engines that I know of. Sounds like you are missing it? I recall a long time ago someone else reporting that being gone on their engine when they tore it down.

Number 9 is the seal at the top of the dip stick. I think # 7 is the dip stick tube (seems short in this view)? And #38 I believe is a external crank case vent (weren't there two on some engines, this and the cyclonic one?). I think it is what Mike Hynes referred to earlier.

Sorry I'm not definite on everything. Hopefully one of the experts can confirm things.

I agree with you about #30. That "oil return tube" seems to be on all 128 style engines that I know of. Sounds like you are missing it? I recall a long time ago someone else reporting that being gone on their engine when they tore it down.

Looking on MWB I do not see #30 for sale in the engine lubrication system on MWB, Vicks, or SpiderRoadster with the image on SpiderRoadster very similar to page 69 above but specifically missing #30. I think its safe to assume that design was changed before production actually started, or at least after 1974 (?). I'll look closely again for an attachment point near Main #5 and then move on.

Thanks for the help!

Next steps: to install the oil pan and completing the short block. Then to get my piston deck height measured to find the correct head gasket thickness.

My '74 did not have that tube (Item #30 Page 69; Item #12 Page 70; Item #2 Page 71). It was a late '74 so maybe a running change. I do recall having some consternation about it, but figured it had gone 106,000 miles without it so perhaps it was something that was deleted as a cost savings at some point. I don't think anyone was in there prior to me, but it has been twenty years since I built the motor so my memory may be fuzzy.

Oil drain tube from number 5 main cap was deleted early on, if you look at the main cap casting it still has the flat area there, but the hole and bolt holes haven't been machined in, only very early 1300's and 1100's have it... oiling system had a few changes early on in production, breather cyclone once had two outlets with the second going down to another fitting low down at the flywheel end of the block... big sections of the Haynes manual are simply reprinted sections of the 128 engine manual which adds to X1/9 owners confusion...

SteveC

Back