1978 limited editions

Michael Hunter

True Classic
Does anyone know how many where built ?...has the numbered and signed sticker on the pass front fender. Just curious how many was made and if they came in any other color than the gold with cream and brown interior. Wondering if it's worth the headache to keep 100% original. Opinions and info welcome please. btw...mines number 829. Mine is a 1300 4spd car with old style factory air conditioning with the piston style pump that's driven by a long shaft off the back of the water pump.
20180323_102842.jpg

Greg in Connecticut probably has the most knowledge on all things historical with the X. My understanding of the “Limited Editions” is that is was the end of the 1300 run so Fiat did the sticker and stripes as a marketing thing. Nothing else special about them. Greg will probably chime in eventually. As to whether it’s worth keeping it all original, that’s an individual choice. Unfortunately, these cars don’t seem to appreciate in value to the general car enthusiast market inspite of the passion of the group here. If you think that if you are going to destroy its collector value by modifying it, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. Make it what you want it to be, IMHO.

Hey Michael - My 1978 is #924. I'm 6th owner and it is not original, but nice. Paint without stripes/stickers, different wheels, steering wheel, bumpers. I've seen up to #1501 for sale and understand approx. 2,500 gold and silver metallic limited editions were the last of the 1978 Series 1 production. They had numbered fender sticker, side pinstripes, luggage racks, and a few minor differences in interior; Limited seats have different side bolsters. Some parts on the final Series 1 are used on 1979 and later production. Yesterday I installed a new solid steel hood release cable for the front trunk that matches 1979-1988 cars.

Original literature with standard seats:
1978 Lit.jpg

Reupholstered matching original sides:
After-Seats.gif

1978 USA Limitee as found on poster:
1978 Limitee.jpg

Sail has X1/9 decal.

Search of XWeb with varying terms (limited, special series, series special, etc) will find old threads.

Had mine out today for library, post office, lunch, gas, and shopping.
Bill
1978 Snow.jpg

Hey Michael - My 1978 is #924. I'm 6th owner and it is not original, but nice. Paint without stripes/stickers, different wheels, steering wheel, bumpers. I've seen up to #1501 for sale and understand approx. 2,500 gold and silver metallic limited editions were the last of the 1978 Series 1 production. They had numbered fender sticker, side pinstripes, luggage racks, and a few minor differences in interior; Limited seats have different side bolsters. Some parts on the final Series 1 are used on 1979 and later production. Yesterday I installed a new solid steel hood release cable for the front trunk that matches 1979-1988 cars.

Original literature with standard seats:
View attachment 9588

Reupholstered matching original sides:
View attachment 9590

1978 USA Limitee as found on poster:
View attachment 9591

Sail has X1/9 decal.

Search of XWeb with varying terms (limited, special series, series special, etc) will find old threads.

Had mine out today for library, post office, lunch, gas, and shopping.
Bill
View attachment 9593
Thanks for the great reply....very helpful indeed.....I'm starting think of not worrying over originality maybe now...I've got time to decide while I sort a few more mechanical items...redoing all hydraulics now...got it running decent...got to change belts and hoses before roadworthy and decide on a few things I'm stewing over

Now I get to throw a curve ball into the mix. Mine is titled as a 79 but all the parts spec it as a 78. This plaque is on the driver's side (LHS) front quarter panel rear of the wheel. The car has a custom paint job prior to my purchase but this plaque is riveted in place.
X19 Speciale.jpg

My stripes are just an aftermarket kit I believe. Just take everything about my car with a grain of salt. It's a bit strange, but that's why I like it.
You all have helped me decide....I'm NOT gonna worry about originality anymore...so the race is on....give me input on mods...small and large and anywhere in between...Its a blank canvas now ...

You all have helped me decide....I'm NOT gonna worry about originality anymore...so the race is on....give me input on mods...small and large and anywhere in between...Its a blank canvas now ...

How long have you had the car? How much of that has been running and driving? From what most say and I agree with them, you should drive it around for a while and get to know what you like and what more you need. As for standard improvement mods look in the Wiki, there are a couple electrical mods that will greatly improve electrical performance.

How long have you had the car? How much of that has been running and driving? From what most say and I agree with them, you should drive it around for a while and get to know what you like and what more you need. As for standard improvement mods look in the Wiki, there are a couple electrical mods that will greatly improve electrical performance.
Well I just got it from Brayden @ Midwest Bayless about a month or so ago...car was in long storage...so I'm in process of going thru all the systems now. Got it running decent and have rebuilt the brake calipers. Working on tryn to get the flex brake hoses off to replace them...then I'll get the masters and the slave replaced. Then ill flush the coolant and replace hoses and belts. Then ill put it back on the ground and give it a test spin. I've already removed bumpers and have a plan for front signals. Already cleaned fuel tank. That was second right after changing oil and replacing plugs and wires. Smog pump has been removed and associated items...still think I'm going to pull the a/c stuff off to.

Also going to do some exhaust work...lose the 25lbs of muffler stuff..straight pipe from the double flange to make duals. Probably some racing bucket seats later. Looking for a good price (cheap?) on some 15" wheels.

Also going to do some exhaust work...lose the 25lbs of muffler stuff..straight pipe from the double flange to make duals. Probably some racing bucket seats later. Looking for a good price (cheap?) on some 15" wheels.

Man your plans were just waiting for the Speciale info to begin in earnest. I still say drive it a while before really jumping into the major projects besides brakes, fuel, and other necessities for a safe vehicle. From there, maybe this coming winter do some major improvements if you desire.

Man your plans were just waiting for the Speciale info to begin in earnest. I still say drive it a while before really jumping into the major projects besides brakes, fuel, and other necessities for a safe vehicle. From there, maybe this coming winter do some major improvements if you desire.
Yep....your absolutely right !

My stripes are just an aftermarket kit I believe. Just take everything about my car with a grain of salt. It's a bit strange, but that's why I like it.

Japanese version of the original Serie Speciale so you have factory stripes.
Japan got LHD and the US bumpers.

Japanese importer TOHO advertisement.
toho1.PNG

Back