Garage Find

TonyK

True Classic
IMG_3586.JPG
IMG_3587.JPG
IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_3589.JPG
My Nephew has been interested in X1/9's for some time. The FFO2018 at Disney has pushed him over the edge and he has found this car. I looked at it yesterday and we will be picking it up this weekend.
The car is a 1982 with 66K miles on it. Repaint is okay but not perfect. It was imported into Canada in 2006 from Pennsylvania and that owner was in Oshawa Ontario. It was then sold in 2008 to the current owner who purchase it with the thought that his 2 teenage children would like a sports car to drive. That did not happen and the car sat 10 more years in storage never been put on the road. Tires and brakes are new I went through the car and the only rust I could find was in the rear trunk well bottoms and under the bottom of the rear trunk floor pan. The car is clean, dash not cracked new carpet of some sort, 1 tear in the seat, it does not appear the car was driven in the winter or on a rainy day. Bottom of the car and half shafts are clean. Will be picking it up this weekend and putting it on my lift, will take more pictures then. Drove it down the road no issues with 3rd gear or reverse, no smoke from the engine, sounds tight.

Purchase price $5,100 CND or $3,900 USD.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

View attachment 10439 View attachment 10440 View attachment 10442 View attachment 10443 My Nephew has been interested in X1/9's for some time. The FFO2018 at Disney has pushed him over the edge and he has found this car. I looked at it yesterday and we will be picking it up this weekend.
The car is a 1982 with 66K miles on it. Repaint is okay but not perfect. It was imported into Canada in 2006 from Pennsylvania and that owner was in Oshawa Ontario. It was then sold in 2008 to the current owner who purchase it with the thought that his 2 teenage children would like a sports car to drive. That did not happen and the car sat 10 more years in storage never been put on the road. Tires and brakes are new I went through the car and the only rust I could find was in the rear trunk well bottoms and under the bottom of the rear trunk floor pan. The car is clean, dash not cracked new carpet of some sort, 1 tear in the seat, it does not appear the car was driven in the winter or on a rainy day. Bottom of the car and half shafts are clean. Will be picking it up this weekend and putting it on my lift, will take more pictures then. Drove it down the road no issues with 3rd gear or reverse, no smoke from the engine, sounds tight.

Purchase price $5,100 CND or $3,900 USD.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada
Great buy !!

I have a few more pictures. We picked the car up today. A few items needed attention. Front calipers were seized, swapped out for spares that I had at home. That is Mike, the new owner installing the front calipers. No parking lights when head lights are on. The Head Light switch has sat for 10 years and had just dried out, got that working. Brake lights not working, switch had a broken spring, traded for a spare and the windshield washer was not working, no fluid but when the car was reassembled the washer jet was pointing to the side of the car. So, I think we have it and are ready for a safety check to obtain new licence plates.

Here are few more pictures.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG

Hopefully that silly side moulding is just stick on and not drilled. Makes for easy removal. Not sure why some dealers thought that was a good idea.

But damn that thing is beautiful! Love the color. How’s the interior?

Hey Tony, I saw that on kijiji! Looks like it was a nice car. Awesome!

Hey, I have a die for the black spoke portion of the CD91 wheels. I made little stickers using automotive blackout tape from Canadian tire. They've been holding up really well after all these years. I'll shoot you a message as perhaps I can take a look at what's left on the Abarth and I'll show you the blackout tape.

Looks like a nice car!

Good eye and when I put my hand on it , it was black paint.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Just took the car out today for her first run. Went easy on her as it’s probably in need of an oil change which I’ll do tomorrow. Drives like a dream! Smooth shifts and feels tight.
Tony has been asking for some interior pictures all week. For some reason when I send him pics from my email on my phone he can’t extract them. Anyway, planning on noodling on the car tomorrow before work in the afternoon.
I’ll post some interior pictures tomorrow. : )

Congrats on the nice find. And sympathy to have to endure Tony. If you need help about him, let us know. We know where he live and we know what he drive!

Well, changed the oil and took her out for a spin to find I’m blowing smoke. At first I thought maybe burning oil. Maybe I added too much but the smoke appeared under “hard” accelation was white and pretty much disappeared when taking it easy. I was trying not to let my mind go to a blown head gasket but the more I think about it, the more I think this may be it.
After getting it back in the garage I noticed the coolant level was low. I didn’t have enough time to fill again and test before I had to go to work so if I’m feeling brave tomorrow I might try and see if that happens again. This car had been sitting for probably 10 years so surprises are inevitable. Just wasn’t thinking of that kind of surprise.

Ok! Crisis averted! It is not a blown head but I thought I’d be smart and use a synthetic oil when doing the oil change. She did not like that. The thinking is that the synthetic flowed too well and seeped past the seals thus burning and creating the smoke. I also may have overfilled it too. Anyway, I drained that oil and put Castrol 20w50 with some Lucas oil stabilizer. Took her out for a drive today and the smoke is gone!

Hmm, something fishy about that. synthetic oil does not smoke. I have a dynasty with the smoker motor (3.0) and switching it to synthetic it stopped smoking) (loaned the car out and it came back smoking) (they did not use synthetic).

Trust me synthetic will smoke.
I had an issue in a 124 spider a few years ago where the can cover gasket failed. Oil was drenching the valley and running down to the exhaust. Jame Bond had nothing on me.

Back