My Key Won't Turn

jss1591

79 X 1/9
The other night my roof was off my car and it happen to rain really hard. I drove the car home and now its been a few days. I cant seem to line the wheel up to free up the ignition switch. I was able to get it once but then I couldn't get it again.

Normally I would never do anything like this but I actually had a seizure which caused me to abandon my car while I was taken away in an ambulance.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I don't know if moisture is causing it or what. Just hoping it has happened to someone else and an easy fix was the answer.

Thanks!

Jeffery

Are you turning the steering wheel while trying to turning the ignition key? That has always worked for me.

I did. I got it to power on and then I turned it off and turned it again and messed with it but it wouldnt come on again. I also tried 2 different keys. I thought maybe moisture is causing it but the wheel locked and not turning as much as it normally does when I am trying to start it. Its very odd....

An old thread suggested spraying WD40 in the lock.

Have you removed the steering wheel trim and looked for anything jamming it?

Hopefully someone with more experience than I will reply. If they don't you could take it out of gear and rock the car. I don't know if rocking the car would cause more harm than good.

Good luck.

Last edited:
UHG! I had this happen to me while a shop was working on my car... We tried for hours to free it up and ended up replacing the switch. Mine was stuck in the ignition on position and wouldn't turn the starter or turn off... From what I researched you don't actually want to use oil, but a dry graphite in locks. Oil gums up the tumblers overtime... Try something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-3-g-Powdered-Graphite-Lubricant-703185/100137063

After messing with it for about 2 hours I was able to free it up and now the car is fine....except....somehow I blew a hole in the radiator hose......new post in the work forum....

Back