Side quarter window replacement help

bjwhite

True Classic
Hey guys. Finally getting around to replacing my solid right side quarter window with one so I can have a through glass side mirror. Everytime I drive this car I realize just how much I hate not having a right side mirror—and now it’s summer so I’m reminded often. :)

The glass I got came complete in its frame, which is black. I’m going to keep the chrome so now I have both on the bench, how does one remove the glass from the frame? It’s not overly obvious to me, and before just forcing it, I figured I’d ask the group here for a procedure or pointers.

Thanks in advance.
Brian
82 X1/9
Seattle

52FB56C7-2728-4D80-A540-B12661BF684A.jpeg

IIRC, drill the rivets from the long straight and from the bottom angle then pull/pry hard. It's stuck in the bottom part with rubber and maybe glue in the long straight. I have to admit I did that 20 years ago...

The little rivet only holds the trim cover piece on. The glass on mine was simply a push-in attachment with a tight fit into the seal. I sprayed some silicone lube along the edge and the glass pulled out.

I will be doing the same thing soon. I have a couple of NOS windows that don’t have the sticky flat rubbery material on them. Does anyone know a source for that material to hold the glass in place?

I'm sure any automotive glass shop will have it. The same stuff is used for many applications.

I took the riveted metal part off. And I’ve gotten some very slight movement in the glass—but man it’s in there tight.

I wonder if during the Bertone years they window glued it in? I’m going to heat it up a bit and see.

Holy 1980's retro shoes batman! Are those red/black checkered VANS?

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 10.59.15 AM.png

"Off the Wall" !

Sorry, not adding much to the conversation ;)

hahahaha, why yes. Yes they are. And my other keychain. :)

Don’t all Ferrari owners use a checkered Vans keychain?

04760460-4FFF-46FD-A4AC-37CC593DB9A4.jpeg

Got it. The 82 glass came out rather easily which gave me the confidence to manhandle the Bertone glass. I set it out in the sun to soften it up and eventually it let loose. Installed it into the chrome frame easily.

Luckily the seal on the Bertone glass came out complete because the 82 glass seal disintegrated.

Now to replace rivets and reinstall to the car and yay! I’ll have a right side mirror!

Last edited:
Back