Threads and Subthreads

Janis

True Classic
I often reread my own and others threads threads. Also for example Hussein’s, DrJeffs etc “workshop” threads. But sometimes am a bit too lazy to search particular threads. (Mostly am using forum from phone)

I would like to have possibility to make threads in more structured order in workshop forum. Like folder with subfolders.
Example
•workshop forum
• “mkmini’s x19”
• 1.6 turbo
• bodykit
• spam :D
• interior modifications
• questions

Another example
•workshop forum
•suspension
•Steve H.
•Eastep’s installed coils
•Dallara’s needed modifications with Cascu kit

Is that even possible with not much effort?
And would others also use that?

Some other automotive forums I'm a membor of have their sites structured similarly to that. Under the "workshop" board, there are separate boards for performance modifications, engine swaps, general mechanical questions, body work, interior work, boards dedicated to each engine that was offered with the car from the factory, etc.
And you can also just submit threads under the general workshop board too if your topic doesn't fit any of the individualized boards.

I can see the benefits of both layouts though. With the way xweb is currently structured, I find that I'm less likely to miss new posts since I only have to check a few boards.

I wonder if the search function could be tweaked a bit. I don't find it super intuitive, but then again I don't use it often. Does the search function search for synonyms of the key words? I suspect it doesn't but I don't know for sure. . .

I find that I'm less likely to miss new posts since I only have to check a few boards.

It's not necessary to check multiple boards for new posts, that's what the "New Posts" button is for. Bubbles all the new ones to the top regardless of which forum they appear in. You have to be logged in to use it, though.

Pete

The challenge with more subforums is that posts more often get miscategorized, or the appropriate forum becomes more subjective, and moderators have more work to move posts around.

The standard search doesn't have the level of AI suggested but you can always use an external search provider. For example specifying this in Google will give you more detailed results: site:xwebforums.com interior modifications.

I agree that greater levels of breakdown would be beneficial. Also wish the search function was more helpful. Not being critical, just expressing my opinion.

I should add that I'm not qualified to say much about this, as I really know nothing about how these things work or what's involved in changing anything. The forum has improved greatly over the years and it has grown greatly as well. But if future improvements are considered then these suggestions might be included.

I threw up the latest example of a "Best Of" type thread in my old "Best of Test Thread". Scroll to the bottom for the latest. I would need to dig back into the project to remember exactly where Karl and I were heading, but it seemed workable. Real life got in the way.

Jim, I just saw your update on that (referenced) thread. I thought of it when reading this current discussion but wasn't sure if it was still in the works so did not bring it up. That might be a solution to what is requested here. Certainly a better way to find the info on a topic when in the middle of a project and need it compared to the current search engine. Not sure why but I don't have much luck with that. Even when I'm looking for a specific thread that I know exists, I guess I'm not knowledgeable enough on how the search works to be effective. However I've noticed you seem to do well with it so I'm sure it is me.

I haven't played with the new search engine enough to become good at it. It does seem a little confusing when I look over the results it returns. Like I said though, I haven't tried to discern what it likes to be fed as a target. That makes a big difference. I usually just beat on it till I find what I was looking for.

Attachments

• 20180619_195755 (2).jpg
    20180619_195755 (2).jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 20180619_195755 (2)_small.jpg
    20180619_195755 (2)_small.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 5,509
  • photoshopped_85_small.jpg
    photoshopped_85_small.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 128
  • photoshopped_85.jpg
    photoshopped_85.jpg