Starter Question

robsad

True Classic
I'm in the final stages of getting my 1500 rebuild started - hookups, cleaning connectors, etc. I hooked up a new starter exactly the way the old one used to be - very large wire that connects to the right lug along with a smaller brown wire on the same lug. Below those two studs there is a spade connector labeled 50 which I assume receives the red wire that goes to the starter relay. Problem is with the ignition switch off, when I connected the positive battery cable, the engine turned over. Not being ready for this I quickly pulled off the positive cable. This new starter (purchased a few years ago) looks virtually the same as the old one. My first idea was to put the old starter back in and see if the same thing happens. Any ideas where to look first ?

You might want to pull the red wire and see if the starter turns when you reconnect the battery. If it does, you have a starter solenoid issue (could be stuck).

No starter relay, unless you added one. Trigger wire comes straight off crank position of ign switch.

Screen_Shot_2018-08-18_at_10.34.57_PM.png

Problem solved !!! Steve, you made me re-examine things when you said the red wire only becomes hot when the key is in the start position. Yesterday I reinstalled the radiator hoses that go from the thermostat housing then run down between the block and the bottom of the firewall. In order to make some more room for the hose that is close to the solenoid I bent the large starter wires down but in doing so the one wire was now touching the spade connector on the red wire plus there was no shielding on the male spade hence it completed the circuit. Once an old timer told me to always look for the simplest stupid solution first and usually that's where the answer is. And the 74 X DOES have a starter relay. There are quite a few things that are unique to the early X's.

Back