Top & bottom 10 manual transmission cities

darwoodious

Darin Nelson
woot! Seattle (my town) made #8 in the areas manual transmissions sell the best.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-where-manual-transmission-cars-sell-best-1829641142/amp

0E06B46A-2D2B-4290-B7CE-B79452FDA785.png

Weird list tho. Thinking that there are cities where big manual transmission trucks must reign supreme. In Seattle, I think it's all the software money and sports cars.

Hmmm, #6 on the most popular list is a typo- Harrisonburg is in Virginia, Harrisburg is in PA; which one do they mean?

Data is not available for West Virginia twice too. :confused:

Edit: Nope, I take it back. The second one is a WY for Wyoming. My eyes are becoming more low-res by the day. :(

Last edited:
Interesting data. Now lets see a chart for cars made after 2000, I bet the numbers drop to small decimals. By the way, owning a car with a manual gear box is a great theft deterrent since it severely limits the number of idiots who could drive it.

Interesting data. Now lets see a chart for cars made after 2000, I bet the numbers drop to small decimals. By the way, owning a car with a manual gear box is a great theft deterrent since it severely limits the number of idiots who could drive it.

Since this data is from CarMax, I'm guessing about 100% of this data is for post-2000. CarMax does not have a lot of 20 year old vehicles sitting on their lot.

Pete

Judging by the type of areas on the "most" list, they might be for work trucks, utility/farm vehicles, and the like.

Depressing trend in the long term. In the short term, think of a manual as the ultimate anti-theft device. So many documented instances of thieves realizing it's a manual and abandoning all attempts to steal the car.

By the way, owning a car with a manual gear box is a great theft deterrent
Too true, my partner has a manual and works where the carpark is crowded and often the junior staff are given the task of shifting cars, and it never ceases to amaze the number under 30's who have no clue how to drive a manual and she needs to move it herself.
Hence our eldest daughter has just got her licence and we 'encouraged' her to learn in a manual so as not to suffer the embarrassment of not knowing how to drive a manual.
We have always been a fan of the show 'The Amazing Race' and always look forward to the one Country they invariably go to where the car they're give is a 'stick'!

Back