Stainless Coolant tank

Eastep

True Classic
FS stainless coolant tank. This is the original tank fitted to my '79. The black.paint is peeling, but otherwise in perfect condition. No leaks or holes or dents. I've decided to go another route. $150 obo plus shipping

20161105_165524.jpg
20161105_165507.jpg

I really don't want this in my car any longer. Early '79 was the last "year" for stainless expansion tanks. Black from factory. Can be re painted or stripped and polished. No rust, no leaking bungs, no dents, no issues. Buy it!

I really don't want this in my car any longer. Early '79 was the last "year" for stainless expansion tanks. Black from factory. Can be re painted or stripped and polished. No rust, no leaking bungs, no dents, no issues. Buy it!

Just a friendly point of clarification: Would a buyer also get the top support bracket?

That photo resembles the factory plain steel tank which were supplied until the rust problem got so bad that they switched to plastic. I don't recall the factory ever supplying stainless tanks, although I did not pay much attention to the later years.

From what I recall there was only one year they were actually stainless, I think 1978 ?? The others were plain steel, which I believe was all of the painted ones - SS ones were not painted. Perhaps someone has more details, but that's what I've always thought.

I think only '74 was stainless. My original '75 was steel (and rust).
All the 74s I saw back then including mine were plain steel painted black. They were particularly prone to developing pinholes, mostly above the water line. I had to start patching mine with sheet metal screws and silicone when the car was a couple years old. It finally got to the point where I had quite a screw collection on the tank. Shortly after they introduced the plastic tank, I got one.

All the 74s I saw back then including mine were plain steel painted black. They were particularly prone to developing pinholes, mostly above the water line. I had to start patching mine with sheet metal screws and silicone when the car was a couple years old. It finally got to the point where I had quite a screw collection on the tank. Shortly after they introduced the plastic tank, I got one.

My '74 was pretty modded so likely wasn't stock. My '75 was Swiss cheese with rust and I bought a stainless tank from a forum member. I thought about painting it black so it looked stock but where's the fun in that? I polished it instead.

From what I recall there was only one year they were actually stainless, I think 1978 ?? The others were plain steel, which I believe was all of the painted ones - SS ones were not painted. Perhaps someone has more details, but that's what I've always thought.
I'm nearly positive the '78 left overs were put on early 79s and probably all through 79, until they ran out of stock. All painted black. My 79 was built mid/late-mid 78. I'm pretty sure is stainless, even if its not stainless, its not rusting anywhere, inside or out, and someone should buy it.

Dan S: yes the rusty bracket can be included.

Easy enough to check whether it's stainless---try a magnet. Most varieties of stainless will not attract a magnet, or only very weakly attract a magnet.

I have an early 79 that was built in December of 1978. I have had the car since new and the expansion tank is painted Stainless Steel. I also have a 1978 parts car and it too had a black painted Stainless Steel expansion tank. I purchased a 1980 carb X1/9 and it had a plastic expansion tank.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

My 79 parts car had a stainless tank in it not painted black. It was polished stainless. Must have been put in after the fact.

Back