79 X on Hemmings

A friend of mine bought that same color combination in 79. Traded it in a few years later on a new C4. I thought this example looks pretty good except for the crappy 155-80R13 tires. I think 79 was the first year they started shipping with the 165-70R13. Up until then it was 145-80R13. I'm guessing this guy had trouble finding 13" tires and figured this was close enough.

I found my black 78 on Hemmings back in 2003. It was out in Atascadero,CA at a price of $2500. My sister lives in Burbank and made the purchase for me. She was able to recruit a friend, who could drive a stick, to help her get it back to Burbank. Then a shipping company picked it up a few days later and it arrived in STL a week after pickup. I hadn't driven an X since 1982, I grinned like an idiot all the way home from the shipper's pickup lot. Fond memories.

Nicely done car, but WTF on that carpet color? Seat covers look like the "PULeather" ones sold on eBay.
I had the same seat covers on my '87 Porsche. They're not bad. For an X I would paint/dye the centers so they aren't two tone. As for the carpet....I had an X with the same thing. I think it was originally a brown, but UV and weather turns it into... Well, you can see.

The carpet does not look original to me. My ‘79 came with a brown “corn row” type, that does fade quite a bit over the tunnel. This looks like a closed loop style that someone tried to dye.

The carpet does not look original to me. My ‘79 came with a brown “corn row” type, that does fade quite a bit over the tunnel. This looks like a closed loop style that someone tried to dye.
+1
My '80/81 was black with the mostly saddle/brown interior and it had the brown corn-row style carpet as well.

Back