Scorpion # 253 project

fabricated an exhaust heat shield. the unit is 2 layers thick in the main area and filled with "aspen aerogel spaceloft insulation" this should allow me to place a cold beer on it and not get warm during operation. I want to keep the temps down under the distributor and off the plastic coolant bottle.
The engine is now basically ready to be put into the spider. And then i can get back to the lancia build.
IMG_5466.JPG

IMG_5467.JPG

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_5471.JPG

IMG_5472.JPG

Back to the lancia today. First mock up of the bottom end. The rods hit the bottom of the cylinder walls. So i had to machine some small reliefs in there for clearance. Cleaned it again and did the first mock up. No piston rings yet. I have to install the head and check piston to valve clearance.
IMG_5486.JPG

IMG_5487.JPG

and yes the piston does stick out of the top of the block a little.... :)

IMG_5488.JPG

also finished the carb rebuild for the spider

IMG_5490.JPG

Visualizing the finished product and keeping in mind its specs, this is going to be one hell of a motor!

Thanks Chad. I truly hope so. I am putting everything I have learned over the years into this engine. This is the build I have always wanted to do but could never afford it. Probably cant now either. I have read quite a bit on every subject to this build and I am trying to apply everything I can. I hope that there will be a small bit of streetablility to this. I know that It is a race spec engine. But still. My biggest issue will be the fuel. I will be monitoring afr and knock. I hope that I can afford the fuel.

Last edited:
been working on the spider. Almost finished with it. Then back to the scorpion... also found a zagato I am going to buy this saturday if everything works out ok
IMG_5720.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5716.JPG
    IMG_5716.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5718.JPG
    IMG_5718.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 137
What kind of beer are you going to use to test the heat shield? I'll send you two; one for the test, the other for congratulations! Inspiring build!

Nicely done BEEK! Your combination of wrenching, painting and fabrication skills is uncommon. What's it made of?

the base behind what you see is a aftermarket fiberglass bumper that is basically destroyed. I didnt like the weak chinned look anyway. I am using it as a buck to work over. I am using gellcoated fiberglass as the base you see. (the white stuff) once i finish the basic shape i will fiberglass over it and then see where that goes.

still working on the mock up of the scorpion engine. i welded the fittings for the crankcase breather. I placed some of the parts in place to get a visual of where I am going

IMG_6561.JPG
IMG_6565.JPG
IMG_6568.JPG
IMG_6569.JPG
IMG_6572.JPG
IMG_6567.JPG

really impressive details and skill there! what sort of ignition you will run on your dohc motors? what power figure are you expecting from the skorpion motor?

Thank you very much for the nice comments. I am running a msd 6al driven by the factory distributor. My hopes are from 170-200hp once finished I will dyno it

Last edited:
Back