'76 Triumph TR7

Huey

True Classic
I'm about to do the unthinkable. I came across a TR7 that I can get for a really good deal. The car runs and drives and is a low-mileage car (about 30K.) Very complete, very original and unmolested. It desperately needs a paint job but there is (supposedly) zero rot anywhere. I'm going to look at it today and maybe strike a deal. If I can get it for the right price, I can paint it next spring and either flip it or have a fun little runabout for my wife.

It will be my first British car. May God have mercy on my soul.

I'm about to do the unthinkable. I came across a TR7 that I can get for a really good deal. The car runs and drives and is a low-mileage car (about 30K.) Very complete, very original and unmolested. It desperately needs a paint job but there is (supposedly) zero rot anywhere. I'm going to look at it today and maybe strike a deal. If I can get it for the right price, I can paint it next spring and either flip it or have a fun little runabout for my wife.

It will be my first British car. May God have mercy on my soul.
I will pray for you.

Good luck Huey. If you can get a good deal, go for it.

I was parked next to a nice TR8 at a show this summer. It had a funky interior with plaid panels on the seats and door cards. Period correct I am sure. :)
20180826_120951.jpg

I just got back from inspecting it and leaving the guy my deposit (I'll go pick it up next weekend.) The car is in remarkable condition, especially considering it is 42 years old! It was obviously repainted at some point and I'm guessing someone didn't prep it correctly because paint is peeling off and leaving areas of surface rust. But I inspected the car with a fine-tooth comb and there is no rust-through anywhere. I think a good media blast and a paint job with proper preparation is all it needs.

It is 100% complete and original with A/C and it even has the mid 70s smog stuff still on it, which tells me the car has not been molested in any way.

It starts right up and runs good but it could definitely use a tuneup and possibly rebuilding of the carbs. But, in all, it's in better condition than the X was when I bought it. I figure between the X and the TR7, I can keep one of them on the road at all times while the other one is being fixed :)

Got her home yesterday. It looks rough but it's just the paint. Somebody repainted it and did a lousy job of prep work because it's just flaking off causing surface rust in a few places. But I looked over every square inch of this car and see zero signs of body work, rust repair, or rust-through anywhere. It only has about 30K original miles so it seems it just did a lot of sitting outside. It was once owned by a Triumph enthusiast and had been well cared for until about 2006 when the owner died and it sat.

I definitely need to rebuild the carbs, which I guess will be my first job. Even with stale gas and rough carbs, it starts right up and runs OK -- no smoke or anything.

But I need to get the X finished first.

20181117_142854.jpg

Good looking car. Hope the interior is as nice! From what (little) I've read, these cars can be made to drive quite nicely.

Congratulations! Care to guess what my very first car was? :D I still have this from 1983. LMK if it would be useful to you.

Attachments

• IMG_20181119_163422.jpg
    IMG_20181119_163422.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 148
Congratulations! Care to guess what my very first car was? :D I still have this from 1983. LMK if it would be useful to you.

Mine came with one in the trunk that looks like it has been there since 1983. I think they were standard issue with every purchase of a Triumph.

Back