Camber Plates

Andy

True Classic
I am in the process of refreshing the front suspension of my 128 autocross car.
IMG_1402.JPG

Today's project was installing a set of MidWest-Bayless Adjustable Camber plates.
When the car was converted to Coil-Overs the upper mounting holes where elongated to allow some adjustment, but with out any kind of indexing it was impossible to know the camber.
2018-04-29 15.45.44.jpg

2018-04-29 15.53.28.jpg
A little work with the grinder.. (Project Binky I am not)
2018-04-29 13.08.09.jpg

I did paint them though.
2018-04-29 13.28.12.jpg

Upper plate in place
2018-04-29 17.00.13.jpg

And the strut in place
2018-04-29 17.02.52.jpg

The struts are in for visual only. I discovered that the lower spring perch isolators were pretty much done, and I needed a hardened washer as a spacer, so now I am waiting on UPS to deliver those parts, then it's off to the alignment shop to get everything lined up properly.

Talk about project creep, this began with replacing the inner control arm bushings, which led to replacing the passenger side control arm, hub and drive shaft, then both tie rod ends. And today I discovered the boot came off the driver side outer CV joint. I believe that happened when I dropped the hub to pull the strut. Simple but greasy job to put it back right.

Hopefully that is the end of the creep, I am anxious to get the car back on the track!

you might want to add some sort of reinforcement or doubler plate to the underside of the bodywork... otherwise the bolt head will tear thru the sheet metal... a lot of load goes thru those three bolts and in the stock configuration the upper mount is on the underside, not on top as you have it.

SteveC

Thanks Steve, more project creep.. LOL

Plates ordered. I should have thought about this.

That’s why we have such a great community here.

Agree with Steve fully. I would have thought a kit designed to mount the struts from the top would include some type of reinforcement plate for under the tower. Especially one that requires material to be removed from the tops of the towers to install it.

I ended up purchasing a set of Plaia BIg FOot strut top plates to re-inforce the strut tower.
I had to take them to a shop to have them cut with a plasma torch, nothing I had available was up to the challenge of cutting the 640 stainless steel.

These plates certainly beefed up the tower tops.

Nice use of additive manufacturing to prototype the part. I would assume these will be machined out of billet aluminum for the final product?

Nice design which could be easily modified to work on an X (with mods to the strut tower top surface).

I am in the process of refreshing the front suspension of my 128 autocross car.
Hopefully that is the end of the creep, I am anxious to get the car back on the track!

Might as well do swaybar bushings while you're at it! Or was that car converted to radius rods? Nice to see that car getting some love!

Back