Here is another k20 swap.

Kmead, Thanks I appreciate your comments. A healthy dose of skepticism improves the end product.
I thought it would be ok because I am mounting it on both sides of the head. There is a tab off the left side of the tank that is about 2" long and .100 thick, triangular in shape that I thought would support the tank.
Where do you think the failure point will be?

Having a brace next to the tank makes much sense, that counters the appearance of the entire thing hanging off the forward housing :D
Do you also have a support bracket for the downward leg where it travels back under the trans/pan? I would think that run could be susceptible without support around the direction change from vertical to horizontal.
I like the idea of rigid runs where possible.

Nothing personal, this is my beef against the whole idea of the K20 swap, since every one that's posted pix of this area shows a huge chunk taken out of the box section of the lower left chassis to make room for the trans. Same for the huge chunks taken out of the chassis member at the lower front of the engine compartment.

I just hope that Giacosa and Puleo put enough over-engineering into the back half of the car to compensate!

I also kind of get the shudders when I see how much is cut out there :D - However I have to assume that the extra boxed subframe counters any flex that removal of the frame section creates - it has been quite some years since the first ones were made. I was wondering whether it made sense to add to the frame above the existing, but I've never seen one done that way.

I also kind of get the shudders when I see how much is cut out there :D - However I have to assume that the extra boxed subframe counters any flex that removal of the frame section creates - it has been quite some years since the first ones were made. I was wondering whether it made sense to add to the frame above the existing, but I've never seen one done that way.

Well, that shudder is in your future I do believe :)

Last edited:
Kmead, Thanks I appreciate your comments. A healthy dose of skepticism improves the end product.
I thought it would be ok because I am mounting it on both sides of the head. There is a tab off the left side of the tank that is about 2" long and .100 thick, triangular in shape that I thought would support the tank.
Where do you think the failure point will be?

Yes attaching the tank to the head will be good. I suspect you will have a failure in the welded connection of the pipe to the OE casting, but I have been wrong before.

I presume that you have a rubber hose down at the transition from the horizontal pipe running across the bottom of the engine to the vertical pipe leading to the tank. Something to stabilize the vertical leg would likely help the tank attachment.

Winter is finally given enough of a break to go outside.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190408_161348.jpg
    MVIMG_20190408_161348.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20190408_161428.jpg
    IMG_20190408_161428.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20190408_161501.jpg
    IMG_20190408_161501.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 216
The best news is that it drives.
I have heard they are underpowered?
NOT AT ALL! From what I can tell.
I tried to upload a video. But I am having technical proplems.
I was able to have a friend drive it around the block a few times so I could hear it and it sounds real nice!

Now it's time to start the body work.

What are the best colors for the X1/9?

That's like asking what brand oil or spark plug is best :D

What was the original color? Unless you are stripping the shell, it always looks better if everything matches, IMO.

Yeah I know, but picking a paint color is difficult.
It is like $2000 spark plugs. That take hours and hours of work to change.

The original color is black, with a bad yellow paint job over the top.

Currently I am leaning towards Ferrari fly yellow, or Rosso Corsa. Just looking for some other options.

Yeah I know, but picking a paint color is difficult.
It is like $2000 spark plugs. That take hours and hours of work to change.

The original color is black, with a bad yellow paint job over the top.

Currently I am leaning towards Ferrari fly yellow, or Rosso Corsa. Just looking for some other options.

Anything besides green or brown, unless it's Kermit green :D .

I think the Ferrari Fly Yellow is a great idea, and will work well with the Ferrari-esque taillights treatment.

Nice. Kinda like an old Lotus or other British sports car bumpers :)

Question - did you make this panel one piece, or does it hinge at the access plane?

index.php

15699772403456748015586264272212.jpg
1569977361118659252893731524109.jpg
the panel is made out of 1/8-in aluminum, with two gusses welded to it. Below that is an aluminum heat shield with floor and tunnel shield insulation applied to it. The floor is screwed down to the frame rails on the sides, the stock engine cover locations in the front, in the rear I added a crossmember attaching the two frame rails to each other that it rests on and is screwed to. It is rigid and light. It it should keep the heat out of the trunk.

Back