Fiat 128 SL spotted on Interstate 5 through Eugene, Oregon today:

Chad C.

True Classic
I was in a hurry, but there it was. Of course it was on a tow dolly behind a pickup truck... I only got a glimpse of it, and it's only the third one I've seen in person. It appeared to be in reasonable shape, anyone know who that was? Older guy with a white mustache was all I could see.

anyone know who that was? Older guy with a white mustache was all I could see.

Probably Santa, no beard for the off season and moving up to a 128 for a little additional interior space. Just my guess.
Santa 850 ad.jpg

Ha too funny! I own this car now but not the mentioned old guy with a white mustache lol.
I bought that one originally from Mike M who delivered it seven or eight years ago inop had been sitting for years. Built a 1500 and pit in a five speed driven daily then. Mike delivered my current 128 wagon and in the same trip brought your SL north to a new owner in Seattle who also owned two 850’s. BMWs not Fiats.

I bought that one originally from Mike M who delivered it seven or eight years ago inop had been sitting for years. Built a 1500 and pit in a five speed driven daily then. Mike delivered my current 128 wagon and in the same trip brought your SL north to a new owner in Seattle who also owned two 850’s. BMWs not Fiats.
I love these, I bought one new in '72, traded a '68 850 spider.Mine was Positano yellowThe early US cars came with a 1300 with a single barrel carb and I think the Euro cam

This is the build thread from back in the day.

This is the build thread from back in the day.
Rad! Thanks for sharing always nice to have some history on a car. I just finished welding up the rust hopefully be repainting in the original red orange soon. Then I'll be redoing the interior. I have modified the body to look euro spec shaved the large usa side markers and a few other cosmetic tricks to make it appear like a vintage rally machine.

Last edited:
Rad! Thanks for sharing always nice to have some history on a car. I just finished welding up the rust hopefully be repainting in the original red orange soon. Then I'll be redoing the interior. I have modified the body to look euro spec shaved the large usa side markers and a few other cosmetic tricks to make it appear like a vintage rally machine.
Good on you. It'll be good to have it back to rosso orancio. When I got it, arrived in satin black with a purple stripe. One thing I regret after the fact is not having gone through all the suspension bushings. The 1500 was quite strong and with corrected bushings likely would torque steer less. Rear A arm bushing were likely original so the rear end was unstable as well. Really happy you have the car and are on this forum.

Good on you. It'll be good to have it back to rosso orancio. When I got it, arrived in satin black with a purple stripe. One thing I regret after the fact is not having gone through all the suspension bushings. The 1500 was quite strong and with corrected bushings likely would torque steer less. Rear A arm bushing were likely original so the rear end was unstable as well. Really happy you have the car and are on this forum.
I did new control arms, radius rod bushings, rear control arms and new motor mounts hopefully shore it up. When I get it back from paint I need to address the brakes not working right and the interior. I never have found a rear seat for it it was missing when I got the car.

I did new control arms, radius rod bushings, rear control arms and new motor mounts hopefully shore it up. When I get it back from paint I need to address the brakes not working right and the interior. I never have found a rear seat for it it was missing when I got the car.
Good on you on your suspension and motor mount improvements. I never got around to getting the rear brakes right, collected all the readily available bits which ended up on my 128 wagon (shoes, drums, cylinders, springs). When I got it, rear seat back was missing explaining the plywood piece back there. Also - wonder if the guy who owned it after me and prior to you resolved the pinhole radiator leak? Post photos when you can. I will search and see if I have any leftover coupe specific parts.

Back