Bob Martin's Abarth Swap

TonyK

True Classic
April 13/2019 Bob arrived yesterday and we have been working in the shop most of the day preparing for the installation of the engine. My nephew Mike stopped by to help and see what was going on. Here are a few pictures of what we have been doing and where we are. End of day one.

TonyK.
Grimsby Ontario Canada,
With Bob Martin from Radcliff Kentucky.
IMG_1104.JPG
IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1111.JPG
IMG_1112.JPG
IMG_1115.JPG
IMG_1116.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG

Karl all of the templates and jigs are made of steel sheet or tube. Although I can weld aluminum, welding steel is much easier.

TonyK.
Grimsby Ontario Canada

Did some more welding but we focused on strut cap/mounts although the mounts seem good and appeared to be part of a lowering kit that used recessed upper rubber bushings. Since the springs were cut Bob just removed the nuts and changed the bushings. The upper bearings were smashed and I turned new ones form delerin. I think this is due to the fact that the springs do not keep a constant pressure on the upper bearing. We are hoping to be done the welding today and sand blast, but things being what they are take more time than we would like it to.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada
IMG_1129.JPG
IMG_1131.JPG

Day 4.

Well as we worked we found sections of the body that was rusted through. Something in my car that never happened, but takes a fair bit of time to fit and weld in panels. We are just about finished all of the welding and fitting. Hoping tomorrow to prepare to sand blast, but that too will require a fair bit of masking then on to seam sealing and painting the engine bay. See Bob modifying the fuel tank for the bit we need for the turbo charger exhaust.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

IMG_1132.JPG
IMG_1133.JPG
IMG_1135.JPG
IMG_1138.JPG
IMG_1142.JPG
IMG_1143.JPG

As we progress there are several directions that we seem to be going all at once. All of the hoses and body components need to be installed in this build. Also up graded brakes on the front of the car and Bob has elected to add Air Conditioning. So although the engine is not in but it is ready to go in, several systems must be completed to prevent the do it over and remove the engine several times. There was also some rusted out sections of the engine bay that needed some attention as we work through the installation portion of this project. The following pictures show the progress of our efforts, sand blasting, seam sealing and painting along with removing the dash and we now begin to fit hoses to the Fiat 500 AC condenser.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario

IMG_1144.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1157.JPG
IMG_1158.JPG
IMG_1161.JPG
IMG_1162.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1168.JPG

Just a bit of an update. First off working on a black car is like dealing with a black cat. You never know what is in the shadows. A lot of light is always needed. As I work in the evenings and weekends I am trying to prepare the engine bay for the new engine. Interference is an issue that is always on my mind. Seeing that we are adding A/C and air to air intercoolers the build is different and that takes a fair bit of time to sort through. The AC hose sizes from this car to my car are different and I need to order adapters. While on the subject of AC systems I purchased a 57 piece kit that allows me to blank off any hose for testing. I can even make a new hose and pressure test it before installing it in the car. The kit is from an ebay vendor out of China.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

IMG_1177.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG
IMG_1194.JPG
IMG_1195.JPG
IMG_1196.JPG
IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG
IMG_1200.JPG
IMG_1204.JPG

Guess who is back working on the Dallara… Bob Martin. He arrived Friday afternoon and will be working with me over the next 3 days on the car.

So work is progressing nicely. A few set backs the AC heater core required new fittings and gaskets and they have been installed. The defrost valve had a gasket leak and after a few tries we were able to make a new gasket that would hold pressure. With a bit of luck we should have the engine installed tomorrow.

TonyK.

With Bob Martin in Grimsby Ontario Canada.

IMG_1211.JPG
IMG_1212.JPG
IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1215.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG
IMG_1217.JPG
IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1220.JPG
IMG_1222.JPG

Looking forward to the end of the weekend update.

On the heater are you using a bypass valve versus the on off valve?

There’s are both manual and electrically actuated bypass valves which could live in the engine compartment to keep the heat out of the cabin. Just a thought.

My apologies if you have previously explained this and I have forgotten.

There’s are both manual and electrically actuated bypass valves which could live in the engine compartment to keep the heat out of the cabin. Just a thought.

The remote electric bypass is what i am going to use on my car. Talked to truck drivers who use it and they say it works great

Odie

I am looking to add one to my Miata as the flaps that meter hot and cold air leak and it is always delivering hot air. I feel like I am cooking in that car all the time. Not sure the flaps can be repaired effectively. Mine will just use a wire as I just need it to be on off, I don’t need the variable opening feature.

Last edited:

Just using the stock valve for heat, not sure about leakage if it is a problem. Any more information is most welcome.

TonyK.

Progress report.

Today we installed the engine. See Pictures.
We did shoot a video as well, but I have not had the time to edit it and upload the data.

TonyK.

IMG_1223.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG
IMG_1228.JPG
IMG_1231.JPG
IMG_1232.JPG

Hi Dan, what do you need to know about the shifter?

TonyK.

Is the shifter from the donor 500, some other car, or custom fabricated by you?

By what method does the shifter connect to the transaxle: operating rod(s), cables, etc? And what is the source, the donot 500, the X, or some other car?

And what is the routing of the above connection--direct into the front of the transaxle, a la the X, or custom linkage operating levers at the top or rear of the trans, like a scorpion, or 180 degree loop in the shifter cables?

Back