What flavor of X1/9 enthusiast are you?

I think it's a no-brainer which category I fall into :D

I never buy new cars. I never want to buy a new car. Three years old is the newest I have gone. I like to modify because it's what I do :D. Performance & safety upgrades (needed because of first goal) come first, styling / cosmetic mods secondary. I enjoy mechanical mods, bodywork not so much. Start to get a little PTSD when ppl post pics of their cars being stripped/prepped for bodywork now.

As an X1/20 owner, I can't imagine not modifying a US spec car. The drivetrain specs, the bumpers, the lights the suspension height... Even if it were a perfectly preserved car, it'd be one that very few people wanted when new, and I doubt the originality would translate to value or appeal. At least so it seems to me. The first thing I'd do to a perfect a Scorpion would be to bring it up to perfect Montecarlo spec. That's what the Scorpion was supposed to be. 81hp vs.120+ for the Monte is argument enough, then there's the rest.

My Scorpion was a cosmetic mess when I got it and I plan on giving it a period-correct look and feel, leaving out most or all modern components. Certainly not original, not Montecarlo spec, just a driver-quality 70's sex machine that I can drive hard & maintain perpetually. Someone in another forum called the Scorpion a "blank canvas for tuning", and I agree. Most aesthetics aside, anything you can do to it is a worthwhile upgrade. Despite its low compression, even cams & carbs made a clear difference. I look forward to much higher compression in the future.

My meandering point of view asks if "original" is what the factory intended, or what the law required? A fair question for both the X and the Scorpion. To go to Euro spec is to "set it free" for me, but I respect all the bits that comprise a true "time capsule". My giving my car quad headlights, Monte bumpers, a rigid 037 style Double Bubble top and a 037 style rear grill along with a an upgraded 2 liter seems to be in the in the hybrid performance modified and stylized category, but I'd instead call it "Euro-Plus".

The purists and the heretics seem to play well together here, which makes this site a comfortable place to contribute to.

How about "period correct stock upgrades?" I use a modern alternative if it provides a benefit without changing 80s characteristics of the car... So things like LED headlights, modern tires, alloy radiator would have all been good choices if they were available in the 80s. None of them significantly change the car, but make it more reliable and safer. When I can find an 80s upgrade I usually take that over a modern version. So my stereo is an 80s cassette deck that is an improvement over the stock one.

Ed

I think I fall into all 3 categories, except for the US spec bumpers.... The look of the 74 and euro models is just right or bumperless. but then there's the Dallara or, or, or.

So I guess I like the car in all it's forms.

If it helps any with this discussion, I might suggest a little definition...at least as I intended it to be for the sake of this thread. While I purposely left the category definitions vague and open to interpretation, I see one area seems to be coming up a lot. So lets try this...

When I referred to a "original stock" X1/9 I was thinking in terms of general originality, rather than pure perfectly correct as it left the assembly line condition. So a few modern upgrades for the sake of reliability or safety or even mild performance items would likely still classify as "stock". As opposed to either heavily modified performance (e.g. track car) or heavily customized (e.g. altered body show-car style). I realize that still does not define a clear line between the classes, and in many cases some of two or all three classes will pertain. But maybe it helps a little. My rationale is well illustrated by a couple of posts that distinguish between US spec and Euro spec, or OEM vs modern replacement parts. Those are all very good points that I did not even consider when I started the thread. Lets face it, a pure restoration of a 1979 US spec X1/9 with all original parts, in completely stock condition, with proper factory parts and finish, etc, etc, isn't going to bring back anything near the cost to get it to that condition - like say a numbers matching American muscle car might. So there may not be much motivation to keep the car 100% original, and therefore not many would fit such a strict definition. Therefore by loosening the terms of "original stock" a little it might help to decide where one falls.

If it helps any with this discussion, I might suggest a little definition...at least as I intended it to be for the sake of this thread. While I purposely left the category definitions vague and open to interpretation, I see one area seems to be coming up a lot. So lets try this...

When I referred to a "original stock" X1/9 I was thinking in terms of general originality, rather than pure perfectly correct as it left the assembly line condition. So a few modern upgrades for the sake of reliability or safety or even mild performance items would likely still classify as "stock". As opposed to either heavily modified performance (e.g. track car) or heavily customized (e.g. altered body show-car style). I realize that still does not define a clear line between the classes, and in many cases some of two or all three classes will pertain. But maybe it helps a little. My rationale is well illustrated by a couple of posts that distinguish between US spec and Euro spec, or OEM vs modern replacement parts. Those are all very good points that I did not even consider when I started the thread. Lets face it, a pure restoration of a 1979 US spec X1/9 with all original parts, in completely stock condition, with proper factory parts and finish, etc, etc, isn't going to bring back anything near the cost to get it to that condition - like say a numbers matching American muscle car might. So there may not be much motivation to keep the car 100% original, and therefore not many would fit such a strict definition. Therefore by loosening the terms of "original stock" a little it might help to decide where one falls.
I think that is a reasonable way to define it, especially since returning an X1/9 to stock is likely going to be a bad idea from a performance and investment point of view.

Having driven a new stock 1979 in 1979, the last thing I would ever do is return it to stock. My friend bought one and it was a pig. I think we had it de-smogged and re-jetted before it was a week old. Later he put a cam, dual DCNFs, and a header on it. It was pretty fun to drive at that point. I've still got the original stock carb in my basement if anybody is looking for one (although I'm not sure why unless you are actually doing a restoration).

My classic cars are there to keep me entertained. When I first get it I am very happy, then a little bordem usually creeps in and so the fiddling and modification starts to keep the entertainment levels up. My battle is to recognise when my next idea is a step too far. I'm not always successful at that :)

My classic cars are there to keep me entertained.
Well stated - I couldn't agree more; they are toys to me, purely for my enjoyment. And cutting, modifying, customizing, whatever, is the real fun for me (and fun it is). I actually enjoy the process of building the car more than driving it. Creating my vision out of the original vehicle is my art form...and frankly the only type of art I am capable of (never had any skills with fine arts or performing arts or any other creative expression).

For my ‘78 Lido stock all the way, IMHO it would be a travesty to change it from original and altering it would affect its value, however! I have an ‘88 and those bumpers are just so ugly I’m thinking about going bumperless and lowering the ride height, the x is such a pretty shape it deserves to be seen at its best!

I would like multiple!!!! Stock 74, any year looking semi stock with a warm fiat engine. And i like where my current one is going if i could figure out the miss.
20190421_170457.jpg

Odie

Hi Jeff,

My preference is always to keep a stock look but with a modified engine / mechanical components. That said, the modifications are limited to enhancing the existing Lampredi SOHC.

IMO, you can't beat Gandini's design and any attempt to "update" it (as in the later models) only took away from the original beauty (the same can be said about most classic designs such as the Countach). Even larger wheels (more than 14") really detracts from the look of the car.

As for the engine, despite the perceived lack of power, I think the Lampredi SOHC really suits the car. Enhancing it to develop more power certainly makes sense (particularly for the US versions) but I'd personally not swap it for another engine as I think it would take away from the character of the car. In stock Euro / carb form, the car has 85 HP which is comparable with most other cars at the time with a naturally aspirated 1.5 L engine.

The issue with X1/9s is that the entry price is so low that people tend to neglect them and then adopt questionable enhancements to get around perceived problems which only create issues in other areas. Again, just a matter of opinion here, it is better to have one X1/9 that is well maintained (and relatively original) than a collection of less roadworthy cars.

But again, this is just my preference .

Ciao,
Dom.

If I had the time, space and $$$, I would like to do something like Odie has done to his car. But reality, budget and life in general has limited me to what I have: a slightly modified 87 body with a slightly modified 1300cc motor. As it is, I love my car and wouldn't trade it for anything short of a Dino.
So put me down for slightly modified.

I bought a car with damaged sheet metal. In the past six years I have added to the body damage while restoring everything else. I'm on my third suspensio setup and soon will purchase 15" wheels for better tire selection. She will never be pretty, but she will eventually be a very competitive autocrosser. Camp 2.

There's a article in the current edition of "SEMA News" (the SEMA member journal) that speaks directly to the subject of this old thread. So I'll add a summary of the article as a update to the discussion.

The article is directed at businesses that design, make, distribute, sell, install, or are otherwise involved in automotive parts and/or services - basically the internal automotive industry as a whole. It reviewed the current marketing trends with regard to vintage vehicles and stock original restorations vs custom modified restomods. According to them the restoration (i.e. "stock") sector was more predominant in the past. However in the last couple of years there has been a shift in the trends, where things have flipped. Now the predominant market interest is in the modified/custom/restomod sector. Most of the supporting data comes from things like sales records, business ratings, survey results, government statistics, new business development and growth, marketing reports, etc. The data sources are international however the majority is US based. Therefore it is likely to be biased toward American vintage cars, which for the most part includes pickup trucks and muscle cars. So I'm not sure just how much it correlates to special interest groups like us, with a focus on a less common car (the X1/9). An interesting note toward the future of the vintage car market said there is a new growing interest in electric conversions of older cars as part of the restomod build. I've been noticing that more so in Europe where fuel prices make electric vehicles more cost effective to operate than here.

I'm of the camp you make it your own. And I appreciate everyone's take - original is cool. But -I'm more of one to modify it to my taste - love the guys who have the widened flares etc. -- Bodywork is not my strong suit at all - hats off to the guys who have this ability and can do it well. Well worth the money spent. In the Porsche world you have he same camp-- the religious purist( almost annoying) and the guys who know the car could be better in many aspects. I guess, I just love cars and the visions people have for them. I don't know how many times I've gone to a show and would have never thought of some of the things they come up with. The people are what make this hobby enjoyable - missing that currently.

I think I have, at various times, fit all three categories. As a high school college kid, daily drove a '75 and then a '77. The cars were, at best, mildly modified. Those cars' mods were limited to being de-smogged and a few minor, and common, modes. Air cleaner, FAZA exhaust, etc... I was a poor college student and had virtually zero disposable income. I liked the cars as they were and as daily-drivers reliability and serviceability were more important than performance.

Once out of school and my '77 was replaced as a daily driver it got pressed into service as a fun road car and autocrosser. Performance now became the priority. Going further down that road over the years I built a number of highly modified cars. And my own cars often went through several genesis.

I haven't done as much in the "custom" category enough to say I have done it and enjoyed the cars.

Today, if I had the time, room and disposable income I would have three Xs. One would be the car my wife and I took out for the evening. Off for an every evening cruise and then to dinner. It would also be the car we took on the club drives. It would be mostly stock and nicely turned out. Probably an '81+ FI with a nice repait reupholstered interior. Mildly uprated suspension with a complementary set of wheels/tires. The second car would my be my toy; the '70's era hot rod. Bascially my blue '74; 1300 chassis, bumperless, perhaps fitted with minimalist flares, 13x8 4 spoke wheels, rear lip spoiler and a highly tuned 1500/5 speed (although my '74 has a very highly tuned 1300). The Modified car would be the "super car killer". A flared and winged chassis with a k20 or 2ZZ swap.

I may do one of these again at some point. I have had pretty much multiple versions of one and two over the years. Maybe I'll do a swap next. The problem is those two racecars in the garage now. One racecar is a jealous mistress. Two are.... well, imagine having a wife _and_ a mistress. ;)

When I still had my '85 it had earlier wheels, aftermarket air filter and front springs that had been cut 1". Even the power windows worked. This is in stark contrast to my 600 autocrosser that has a modified body shell and NO original parts inside.

Back