Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Had a few hours before the storms hit tonight, so I went out and did some more cutting. Figure I would start making some patch panels. I also cut off the rest of the rusted out floor brace. It was toast, so I figure I will just do the same thing on both sides...brace it all up!
IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG

And another few pounds of fiat hits the bin!
IMG_0351.JPG

Since I was informed by my wife that today I would make progress on our bathroom remodel, I did not have a lot of time for the car today. However, I did sneak out and make up some patch panels for the tunnel.
IMG_0352.JPG

I decided to cut and install the angle iron on the passenger side rocker today. That should keep it braced up!
IMG_0354.JPG

I also have to create a new frame rail chunk for where the rocker meets the front frame rail. The one on the right was for the drivers side. I used it to model a new one that is installed already. Not much left of the passenger side one! And yes I should have reversed them for this pic!
IMG_0355.JPG

"I got rid of it
One sweep at a time
And it didn't cost me a dime"

IMG_0356.JPG

Ok, I goofed off and did not get started until late, but I did get that frame section roughed out.
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0370.JPG
IMG_0371.JPG

I will finish fine-tuning it tomorrow and see if I can get it installed.

The weather is not cooperating with me. I get off of work, and then rain starts threatening. So, I get done what I can. I tacked that repair panel up in place, and weather permitting, will get it welded in the rest of the way. Like the other side, I plan on reinforcing it with angle iron that will win up almost to the sway bar mount.

IMG_0377.PNG

Panning for fiat gold!

IMG_0376.JPG

Played hooky from work, and made some good progress today. No picture of it, but I did get the angle iron formed and welded into place to strengthen that front frame rail. I also welded in the big patch on the rocker. To strengthen it, I welded a square piece of tubing across it. It should keep the rocker from flexing where the hole was, and the angle iron across the length of the rocker should take care of the rest.

On a different note, I have a lead on a parts car. Should know more Sunday. Only problem will be...which one is the parts car?
IMG_0402.JPG

If nothing else, you have provided a much needed public service...I don't feel so bad about the work needed for my 124 spider floor now. And by the way, your welding looks pretty good. Anyone who can weld to old Fiat metal is an expert in my book.

Lol on the sweeping comment. And thanks on the public service comment. If I can do this, anyone can. Just have at it. Especially in this case, there is nothing to lose. It will always be a rusty old fiat, but maybe it will be a useful rusty old fiat! Tomorrow I hope to start cleaning up all the edges that the floorboard will be sitting on. Then time to build the x frame.

I decided to pass on the parts car. I don't want to deal with it, and I do not want to be distracted from the task at hand...this car!

Making these dang old patches takes more time than I like. These look like hell, but once finished up and cleaned up, you will not be able to see them.

ALMOST ready to get started on the x frame!
IMG_0421.JPG

This afternoon was used to wrap up some odds and ends. Got this patch panel to the tunnel in.
IMG_0441.JPG

I had forgotten that I needed to fabricate and weld in a small panel to complete that frame rail repair. Here is the wheel well looking all complete and dapper with seam sealer completing the show.

IMG_0442.JPG

I decided to seal up a bunch today! Always gratifying!
IMG_0443.JPG

Less metal coming off than going on. A good trend

IMG_0445.JPG

Next up will be to finish tunnel repairs. I have to make a patch panel for where the "go pedal" goes, and make a replacement for the crappy and rotted plastic mount it uses. May have to ponder that for a bit!

I am ready to start seeing a floor go in. Must be patient!

Ok, here is what is left of the gas pedal. What a piece of crap. What was fiat thinking with this?
IMG_0448.JPG

Here is the direction I am headed. I found the pipe fitting in my junk box, and the nut at ace hardware.

IMG_0449.JPG

Yeah...this just might work. Ran out of daylight today, so look at it again tomorrow.
IMG_0450.JPG

Is there a brass bushing you could find at an Ace Hardware or similar to "line" the inside of the fitting to eliminate some of the play and keep the inner threads of that fitting from wearing on the accelerator pivot post? I apologize for not having had the time to pull the pedal from my parts car, yet ;)

Karl, no apologies needed! I would be surprised if most of these plastic fittings are in very good shape. The good news is that there are no inner threads on this fitting.

Here is what I came up with. Seems like it will work ok.
IMG_0453.JPG

And here it is installed. One more small patch to the tunnel, and I am saying enough! X-frame time!

IMG_0454.JPG

Wow!! Your an inspiration! I recently bought an 850, too. Not rusty as it was mostly indoors but the last owner sprayed it with spray paint among other idiotic things. But we can do it...these cars have too much style, uniqueness and personality not to be revived and on the road next to all of these computerized cars with no road feelings. I’m working on getting the brake system up to par. Also threw on some old panasports and tires I had from my X1/9 before I went 15’s. I’ll stay in touch. I’m sure we can help each other when we get stuck.

Good Luck!!!

Attachments

• 3C01D834-2435-4F33-99C2-88383E31F421.jpeg
    3C01D834-2435-4F33-99C2-88383E31F421.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 160
Mike, your car looks great. I am envious! So X1/9 wheels are a bolt up? That is good to hear, as mine are all shot. Waiting for things to dry out around here before I can get back to work. Now that I think about it, I guess I could work on the front bonnet while waiting for the car to dry out.

Not too much to report today. Things dried out enough for me to crawl under it. Formed up the remaining patch panels for the tunnel, made some measurements for the x frame and called it a day. Get the metal for the frame tomorrow and start going at it. Either gonna work great or fail spectacularly!

Back