No private vehicles in the UK by 2050?

happy motoring era was an idea of the past century..looks like the planet can no longer accept this (and other humans activity like flying, meat based diets , mass tourism and many other)

happy motoring era was an idea of the past century..looks like the planet can no longer accept this (and other humans activity like flying, meat based diets , mass tourism and many other)

No. This is a method of control. Nothing more.

Outside control is necessary when humans are not able to control themselves. Otherwise we will soon destroy our planet and cease to exist.

Outside control is necessary when humans are not able to control themselves. Otherwise we will soon destroy our planet and cease to exist.

Yes...but who are the arbiters of such things? Who decides what freedoms we must surrender?

I can assure you, the arrogant and unelected "people" in Brussells, will not do without during such times of restraint and cutbacks on liberty and lifestyle.

When we are to stop eating meat and driving cars, they shall dine on the finest meats and go when and where as they please, unaccountable to the "little people".

Such as it always is. It is about control, using any excuse which will fit as a pro tem expedient.

If it were not climate change, overpopulation...another boogeyman would be spoken of under our collective bed to get us to submit our right to exist.

It is all about control and subjugation of those they look upon as "serfs", and it is as clear as sunlight.

Perhaps consider it as an extension of evolution and Darwinism. For the species to survive it must change. And only those capable of changing will survive. In this case the change required goes beyond the individual, and requires that changes be made to the whole in order for any of the population to survive. It is really no different from all the existing Government emission regulations on car manufacturers that have been in place for decades. They continually increase the requirements to compensate for the degree of change needed. This is a further extension of those requirements.

The report states that it is not only the emissions created by the vehicles, but also that from the manufacturing process of those vehicles. And going electric isn't the ultimate answer due to not only the manufacturing emissions, but those of the power generating plants that charge the batteries on electric vehicles. More drastic measures must be made. The UK report is offering one approach, maybe other answers will develop from it.

And you might look at it as a huge plus for those outside of the UK. Think of all the really cool Euro vehicles that will flood the market very inexpensively when they have to get rid of them. Might as well enjoy it while you can? Afterall we won't be here by the time the planet dies (sarcasm). :D

Also keep in mind that lack of private ownership does not mean the lack of vehicles. There will be ways to enjoy vehicles that are not privately owned. Which will be a great business opportunity for those that can arrange such things. Yet another form of evolution I suppose, this time evolution of the business side of motorsports.

Perhaps consider it as an extension of evolution and Darwinism. For the species to survive it must change. And only those capable of changing will survive. In this case the change required goes beyond the individual, and requires that changes be made to the whole in order for any of the population to survive. It is really no different from all the existing Government emission regulations on car manufacturers that have been in place for decades. They continually increase the requirements to compensate for the degree of change needed. This is a further extension of those requirements.

The report states that it is not only the emissions created by the vehicles, but also that from the manufacturing process of those vehicles. And going electric isn't the ultimate answer due to not only the manufacturing emissions, but those of the power generating plants that charge the batteries on electric vehicles. More drastic measures must be made. The UK report is offering one approach, maybe other answers will develop from it.

And you might look at it as a huge plus for those outside of the UK. Think of all the really cool Euro vehicles that will flood the market very inexpensively when they have to get rid of them. Might as well enjoy it while you can? Afterall we won't be here by the time the planet dies (sarcasm). :D

Yes, but our friends in the UK, being deprived of the ability to come and go as they please (freedom of movement) is nothing I would smile at, even if I could "relive them" of the "burden" of their classic Euro sports cars for a pittance.

Also keep in mind that lack of private ownership does not mean the lack of vehicles. There will be ways to enjoy vehicles that are not privately owned. Which will be a great business opportunity for those that can arrange such things. Yet another form of evolution I suppose, this time evolution of the business side of motorsports.

I respectfully disagree. There is something special about the pride of ownership.

Common or public ownership of something means no one has a vested interest in maintaining it/treating it well.

Just look at public transport in Boston or NY for an example of this Utopian dream...

See my last post. The freedom to come and go will continue. Only the vehicles won't be privately owned.

If something is owned by another (a corporation, a government, an individual), then the one using it has no means of free movement, or in deciding their own destiny.

It is slavery through constriction.

I think this was tried a few times before, and it ended horribly for everyone involved.

But this time...its different. ;)

Last edited:
Keep in mind at that point, 2050, none of us will be driving and that those coming after us don’t give **** about owning, much less driving a car.

I really don’t care as at 90 I expect I will be carted around.

I would like to suggest government officials give up their cars or vehicle allowance and use public transportation, walk, or bike. Next let's strap cameras to all politicians and broadcast 24/7/365 over the internet so we know who/what they are up to. 2024 and little brother is watching.

If something is owned by another (a corporation, a government, an individual), then the one using it has no means of free movement, or in deciding their own destiny.

It is slavery through constriction.
I would like to suggest government officials give up their cars or vehicle allowance and use public transportation, walk, or bike. Next let's strap cameras to all politicians and broadcast 24/7/365 over the internet so we know who/what they are up to. 2024 and little brother is watching.

DaveR, I like your style!

I say these are the kind of "reforms" we should be proposing. Put the shoe on the other foot and see how the would-be "Masters" like their own ideas as they are forced to choke them down.

Last edited:
Back