Yugo GV Fiat X19 1.5L Swap

One caveat on the engine swap would be watch out for torque steer. My GVX with stock 1300 engine pulls hard to the left when you really get on it.
As long as your ready for it it's not big deal, but it can be a surprise.
I've long considered putting a 1500 in my GVX, especially since it came with a 5 speed.

Sounds like a fun project!

Which Lancia SOHC motor design would that be? (You mean the Fiat 128?). ;)

regarding the brand of the motor, well lancia was alredy a fiat brand at the time, also the 1979 lancia delta (and later the prisma) had the 128's sohc motors

Yep, the block says LANCIA on the back, even in a Fiat. Just referring to the shared motor design used in Fiat/Yugo/SEAT/Zastava/etc. The motor I bought is from a Fiat X19 though.

Jeff, i guess he want mount all the EFI system

I want to keep the Fiat's 1.5L EFI. The Yugo's 1.1L carburetor is covered in vacuum lines and emissions junk.

If you want a plug and play system, just over the hills from you in Eastern Washington is a Strada with a 1500 and 5 speed for sale on craigslist. The transmission is gold for 128 and Yugo owners. https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/fiat-strada-1981/6729168716.html

For $360, it would be worth it as the guts of the X 5 speed will fit in the case if anything is bad.

This looks amazing! Unfortunately, if I bring another car home, my girlfriend will make me sleep in it.

This looks amazing! Unfortunately, if I bring another car home, my girlfriend will make me sleep in it.
That Strada should have all the FI parts you need to convert your Yugo to FI. You could strip it and trash the body, problem solved.

Or (has anyone ever done this?) you could do a two engined Yugo. Use an X1/9 engine/trans in the rear, Strada engine in the front. Connect the two transmission shift linkages with a long rod? That would be legendary.

I already have the Fiat engine and the ECU and everything I need. I was mainly wondering if besides the oil sump and ignition system, if there was anything else I should know about.

Seems like it's pretty much plug and play.

buy it, get the parts you need for 360 + towing, sell the rest. Show the cost of what it would cost to buy the parts new minus the 360 + towing + part sales. With the profits, take the GF out for a nice dinner, fudge the numbers as needed to achieve desired outcome.

easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I think my friend actually wants to buy the Strada... sent an email to the craigslist guy.

Yep, the block says LANCIA on the back, even in a Fiat. Just referring to the shared motor design used in Fiat/Yugo/SEAT/Zastava/etc.

The SOHC engine design shared by all of these cars isn't based on a Lancia, it's based on the original Lampredi-designed 1969 Fiat 128 1.1L engine. All of the similar Fiat/Yugo/SEAT/Zastava/Lancia/etc. SOHC engines were derived from this little FIAT engine. That's why the casting codes for the 1100 & 1300 engines begin with "128.xxx".

IIRC, Lancia began using a derivation of this SOHC engine in the 1980's with the Prisma & Delta. A Fiat engine of this type may indeed say "Lancia" on it merely because it was from production shared with Fiat at that time, but their design was still based on the original 128.

If you want a plug and play system, just over the hills from you in Eastern Washington is a Strada with a 1500 and 5 speed for sale on craigslist. The transmission is gold for 128 and Yugo owners.

It's not as "plug and play" as you'd think. The Strada 5-speed trans uses the later style axles & CVJ's (like X1/9 1500), so you'd have to swap those over, as well. You'd also need to use the Strada front wheel hub/upright assemblies to use the axles. Then there's the issue of front swaybar-to-trans-casing clearance (on the 128, probably not so much on the Yugo), due to the 5th gear housing extension (the Strada uses front radius rods instead of a swaybar, like the 128 Coupe).

The 5-speed trans that is "gold" for 128 and Yugo owners would be the Yugo GVX 5-speed, since it uses 128/Yugo 4-speed type inner tripodes (thus 4-speed type axles/etc.). Still have the swaybar clearance issue on the 128, but the GVX 5-speed swaybar is a direct swap on a Yugo GV.

I think there's some confusion;

I'm not getting the Strada

I bought an engine from an X19 and am using my factory Yugo clutch, oil sump, and ignition.

I think there's some confusion;

I'm not getting the Strada

I bought an engine from an X19 and am using my factory Yugo clutch, oil sump, and ignition.

Yup. Thing around these parts I've found: you ask an interesting question (which you did) and be prepared for the fire-hose of information. Best forum on the web tho.

Consider yourself initiated :)

Exactly what Darin said ^^^. Regardless of what you decide to buy, we just like to talk about all the options. Sort of like living vicariously through you. Or maybe we are just trying to impress you with how much we (think) know about it. Either way, we are with you on this - great project. Keep us in the loop with how it goes.

Update:

Been busy with work, etc.

X19 engine is on a hoist and I'm rebuilding the Yugo transmission. I've ordered new mounts and other stuff (Fiat 2-1 downpipe, odds and ends) from Midwest Bayless.

I'm going to be using the X19 ECU and the X19 fuel injection system but the Yugo ignition system.

Ry2fyUX.jpg

qOiPLiM.jpg

Still need to swap oil pan and sump, clutch, exhaust manifold, and thermostat housing. I removed the Fiat A/C compressor (I won't be using A/C) and will likely have to swap out the other accessories, but will have to figure that out as the mounts are slightly different on the Yugo case.

Also planning on painting the pan black, the block grey, and the intake "wrinkle coat" yellow or black (and polish the raised Fiat logo).

That will be a fun car. I regret passing on the opportunity to buy a really nice, all original, rust free Yugo a couple years ago. But if I had, it would have received the same engine swap.

One big obstacle is fixing the wiring harness. The guy who sold me the motor cut it in half and all of the wires are white. I got the page with the wiring from the manual on the wiki here (page 10-93) but it'll be a while before I have the patience to do it. The diagram shows them all in a line, but the connector is a big plug with 2 rows of pins.

Last edited:
Midwest-Bayless has good, used wiring harnesses for sale. This one for 1980 - 1983, and this one for 1983 - onward (and as i understand it, this can also be used on 1980 - 1983 cars).

You should also think about replacing all the fuel hoses before installing the motor. Midwest-Bayless has a pre-cut hose kit for this, but some of the pieces in the kit will be X1/9 specific. You'll have to come up with your own setup for the hose from the tank to the fuel pump and filter, and from the pressure regulator back to the tank. Be sure to get metric 7.5 mm hose for the high pressure side, not the 5/16" fuel hose you'll find at most auto parts stores. The larger size won't play nice with the Bosch hose-barb / collar setup. Some say it will work just fine, but the cost of failure is pretty high here.

And on the subject of fuel pumps, you will need the FI specific fuel pump; the one currently in the Yugo won't work with FI.

Finally, I would not bother with the GM alternator conversion. It is far from a direct fit, and the Bosch unit is perfectly adequate.

I spent some time tonight figuring out the harness. It's actually not too crazy.

I purchased an aftermarket electronic fuel pump I plan on splicing into the X19 fuel injection system for power: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0769HHXBP

How do the barbed 7.5mm fuel hoses connect? Does it take a special tool? I'm used to the modern plastic style or simple "push on" barbed style... these seem to have a metal collar... ? I'd like to try to re-use the original injectors if they aren't clogged. Are you sure it's 7.5mm line not 8mm?

Definitely 7.5mm. You should use the Euro hose clamps which won’t cut into the hose also available from MWB.

The fuel pump will work with that setup. I assume you have Air Flow Meter (AFM) and other associated parts and pieces.

There are a bunch of parts from the FI system you won’t need that are associated with the AC system to bump up the idle and so on. Seal the openings into the intake system carefully so there are no air leaks aka unmetered air.

Glad you have kept at this project.

Back